Ball Mount Measurement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Last fall I bought a pair of ball mounts to do this front tow hook mod:

2006 KJ - Mod/build thread

It is based on these instructions:

Front tow points that are stronger than the Libby!

I went out to install them yesterday and they don't line up with the two small cutouts in the plastic fascia on the front bumper. The ones I bought look like about a 2" drop and I think I need around a 4" drop to hit the middle of the cutouts.

What I'm wondering is if the size of the drop is measured "oc" (on center") or something else? I don't want to order the wrong ones. (Again.)

The cutouts I'm referring to are the rectangles in the upper portion above the crooked red arrows I drew all by myself:

You must be registered for see images attach

There is a pair of holes in the steel frame on each side I will be mounting the ball mounts in but they are offset to the outside. I have no problem getting an accurate measurement, I just need to know where the tongue on the ball mount is in relation to the rectangular part.

This is a 2" mount. I have drawn a red line to indicate the center. Am I safe in assuming that the green line represents 2"?

You must be registered for see images attach

If that is correct, I'm looking at about a 4" drop. I just want to have the daggone things more or less centered in the cutout and not off to the side.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Some thoughts for you
Using the one (you have pictured) when you have a shackle on the end it will more or less be a straight pull with even pressure on the mounting bolts.
Now installing a 4 or so inch dropped hitch you are moving the shackle over 4 inches from the mounting center line, therefore increasing the pressure on the bolts and mounting plate. Personally I see those as more of a cosmetic part than an actual recovery setup. That is unless you have a nice mounting bracket in the frame rail etc.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get a crosspiece welded across the back end at some point. That would make the two sides essentially one unit. I'd add a few more through-bolts on the crosspiece so it would basically be pulling the whole front end, no matter what the angle. (Which would be dead straight if at all possible.)

For right now they would mostly be for light "assistance" tugs and not a "get me out of this deep ditch" stuff.

Thanks, Tom - I hadn't really thought the ramifications of the offset all the way through. After seeing this disaster I am reminded to be very careful. :eek:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to check, but is the drop measured from the center of the main post?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to check, but is the drop measured from the center of the main post?

Yes or so I've always been told
I may have some extras I will be selling. I have 3 or 4 4 inch, an extra 6 inch, I think 3 or so 3 inch. Just have to find them all after this move

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get a crosspiece welded across the back end at some point. That would make the two sides essentially one unit. I'd add a few more through-bolts on the crosspiece so it would basically be pulling the whole front end, no matter what the angle. (Which would be dead straight if at all possible.)

For right now they would mostly be for light "assistance" tugs and not a "get me out of this deep ditch" stuff.

Thanks, Tom - I hadn't really thought the ramifications of the offset all the way through. After seeing this disaster I am reminded to be very careful. :eek:

If I were to do use those I would open up the frame rails and then use at least a two inch wide by 5-6 inch long piece of flat steel to bolt to,( with 3 bolts each side) then a piece of angle ( 3X3 or so) welded from side to side and bolted at least in two places across the front. It would be pretty sold at that point.

Last edited: