Ball joint problem/ question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started to install new lower ball joints on my '02 last night. Replaced the right side with no problems until reinstalling the axle. With the grease fitting on, I cannot install the axle through the hub. I had to grease then remove the fitting and plug to be able to reinstall the axle. Before anyone blasts me :), the joints came from autozone. The right axle is a napa replacement. Will the moogs sit lower to clear for the install? I don't want to do the other side yet until I know. At least I can return the unused one then maybe the other letting them know it does not fit right. Any ideas?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Where does the grease fitting come out at, on the side or on top?
If top then there is your problem, Moogs come out on the side so you can grease them
I'd remove the one you have installed since you'll never be able to grease it, yes a waste but may as well do them both the right way

Autozone ...................
you know better:shakehead::Big Laugh:

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could cheap out and grease it after you install it then cap it. Then Finnish putting the whole thing together.

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where does the grease fitting come out at, on the side or on top?
If top then there is your problem, Moogs come out on the side so you can grease them
I'd remove the one you have installed since you'll never be able to grease it, yes a waste but may as well do them both the right way

Autozone ...................
you know better:shakehead::Big Laugh:

Yeah I know better! They come out the top, tried a 90 fitting no good either. Tried even grinding a fitting down and could not clear. Funny thing is, the bag the joint came in ( in the box) has the moog p/n on it.
Gonna take the one back, order from Rock Auto and then try to return the other and play dumb.
Changing the right side was easier than I thought. Took longer to set up the ball joint press to remove than anything else. Reinstalled it with the 20 ton shop press.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes there is no way there is enough room for the grease zerk to come out of the top, has to be side. Also make sure you position them so they are easily greaseable

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the POS auto-zone ball joint with a Moog tonight. When something is made right it actually works :). While apart, I pulled the right shock down and tightened the top nut and it seems to have taken care of my squeak that's been bugging me since my lift was installed. I have to return the other POS auto zone joint and pick up another Moog to do the other side next week.

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes there is no way there is enough room for the grease zerk to come out of the top, has to be side. Also make sure you position them so they are easily greaseable

I aimed the fitting to the front and was able to grease with no problem.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just realized, I will have the same problem.
Also, is it possible to use my shop press to press the old joint out?
I'm trying to avoid buying the removal tool, if I can.
On a tight budget right now...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't have to buy, rent, parts stores charge you X number of dollars and return the money when you return the tool

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 96 Chevy K1500, I just used a big hammer to remove the old ball joint
I didn't cause any damage but a good press works better. The ball joint/PTO/u joint press sold by harbor freight work ok on PTO and u joints but aren't great for removing/installing ball joints

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re not gonna remove these lower ball joints with just a hammer.
These are in a ridiculously stupid spot - in the knuckle and not part of the lower arm (which I feel would have been the better spot)
The ball joint tool you will come to find out , will require some out of the box thinking but if you made it this far - shouldn’t be an issue.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Local Goodyear shop let me bring my knuckle in and pressed the old LBJ out, $30 and a half hour. Was worth it to me to not have deal with running around town for half day. Had to replace it on a Saturday afternoon before leaving for an off road trip!

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to press out the old ball joint, and press the new one in using my 20 ton shop press. But it really took some ingenuity pressing the new one in. I used a short piece of steel rod that fit through the upper ball joint hole. It wasn't easy, but it worked.