Bad transfer case of front driveshaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad transfer case or front driveshaft?

Took the Liberty on a 500 mile journey and it ran awesome on the highway (65-75mph) but the 20 minutes in 4WD up and down my camp road was a different story. It this the fabled "Angry Sparrows?" (whining noise from front of jeep at end of video clip)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3i9di0wzz9cmubd/File%20Sep%2021%2C%209%2041%2041%20AM.mov?dl=0

• Just had front pinion seal replaced a week ago
  • Sound heard only in 4WD (I heard it in 4 high, not sure if it made noise in 4 Lo)
  • New front end in June (both CV's, upper/lower control arms)
  • Front drive-shaft is not original. Replaced 35K ago.

Any opinions appreciated!

Last edited:

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to mention this is the first time I had it in 4WD in 2 months. Before that in 4Lo for 6 hours without this noise. Front drive-shaft boots appear intact.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So anyone think the pinion seal replacement had anything to do with this? I'll take a closer look at the shaft boots but like i said it was quiet before the seal replacement. At any rate first step is bringing it back to the shop that did the seal.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were the bearings and crush sleeve renewed with the pinion seal? If not, re-torquing old bearings will kill them fast.

A pinion noise should be present in 2wd or 4wd because its spinning no matter what. However, I've noticed wheel bearings change tune depending if they're in coast (2wd) or under load (4wd).

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a nasty noise.

Can't really tell by the sound where it could be coming from without being right there with the Jeep. When I first heard it I thought brakes, but after repeated viewings I don't think that's what it is. I'd think a pinion seal/bearing would be lower in tone instead of the "angry sparrows" as you described it. CV joints don't sound like that - at least in my experience.

Could there be something in the engine bay - belt tensioner, one of the pulleys around the serpentine belt - that's making the noise coincidentally in 4WD? IMO the sound is too high pitched to be a driveline issue. :shrug:

Bob

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a nasty noise.

Can't really tell by the sound where it could be coming from without being right there with the Jeep. When I first heard it I thought brakes, but after repeated viewings I don't think that's what it is. I'd think a pinion seal/bearing would be lower in tone instead of the "angry sparrows" as you described it. CV joints don't sound like that - at least in my experience.

Could there be something in the engine bay - belt tensioner, one of the pulleys around the serpentine belt - that's making the noise coincidentally in 4WD? IMO the sound is too high pitched to be a driveline issue. :shrug:

Bob

Thanks for the input. The tension-er was replaced 15K ago. My shade tree mechanic friends thought it was maybe a rock stuck between the rotor and brake shield that came loose when I got back on the pavement. I checked drive shaft boots and they looked OK. I put it in 4-hi in a grassy area today and no noise. The guy that did the pinion seal said to bring it in and he would take a look. I'll show him the video.hopefully it is nothing as I've had a string of repairs lately.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SOLVED (for now) - Could not recreate the sound in 4hi or 4 lo today. Had my shop go over front end and no issues found. So I'm chalking it up to a rock or something stuck in the brakes.
Glad I had the video to show em to prove I'm not crazy and hearing things. Headed to the local off-road park next week so I'll see what happens.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock?

Thanks for the input. The tension-er was replaced 15K ago. My shade tree mechanic friends thought it was maybe a rock stuck between the rotor and brake shield that came loose when I got back on the pavement. I checked drive shaft boots and they looked OK. I put it in 4-hi in a grassy area today and no noise. The guy that did the pinion seal said to bring it in and he would take a look. I'll show him the video.hopefully it is nothing as I've had a string of repairs lately.

Glad your noise went away but it is worrisome not knowing why. Check the rotors closely for witness marks. If a stone got caught it should have left some mark on the rotor since it made enough noise for you to hear.