How to: CHECK the front driveshaft T-case-end CV joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've seen A LOT, and I mean A LOTTTTT of people that have this CV issue and I refer them to this post a lot. So hell, I figured I'd make it a how-to!

When you get any sort of rattling, humming in 4WD, metal noises, clicking when on the gas and at low speeds, etc., often times that means your front driveshaft CV joint at the TRANSFER CASE end of the shaft is going bad. It's probably the MOST common problem in these Liberties (next to the T-case position switch...). In the event of this happening, here's what you want to look at.

These pictures are of that very CV joint:

You must be registered for see images attach

You want to look at the black rubber boot on the end of the driveshaft and see if it is broken, cracked, torn, or just not there. It needs to be there and in good shape.

Here's a video showing exactly how to find that CV joint:

http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/dr4g1116/media/Jeep/0611131141_zps2be54d84.mp4.html

Here's exactly WHAT you want to look at on that joint. This is the CV Joint Boot which holds all of the grease in the joint:

If that boot is broken, cracked, missing, or covered in grease, that means it failed, and that's likely the source of your noise!

I think that's it. Thanks for reading everyone!!

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well done! Great to have the pics to refer to when pointing folks to this post.

One suggestion: If you could point at the rubber boot when you show the CV in the video then those who aren't familiar with that type of CV joint would be able to identify the boot on their own KJ. Just an idea...

Thanks for doing this, dude1116! :cheers:

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well done! Great to have the pics to refer to when pointing folks to this post.

One suggestion: If you could point at the rubber boot when you show the CV in the video then those who aren't familiar with that type of CV joint would be able to identify the boot on their own KJ. Just an idea...

Thanks for doing this, dude1116! :cheers:

Bob

I actually had a picture pointing out the boot but I think it's on my other computer. I'll re-make it real fast.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updated! Anyone wanna let me know how to embed a video here?

Save the video to Photobucket.com and then copy the link from there and paste it into your post. When readers click on the picture the video will play.

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save the video to Photobucket.com and then copy the link from there and paste it into your post. When readers click on the picture the video will play.

Bob

In IMG tags? Cause that link up there now is a photobucket link!

Edit: that's the best I got. Works for me!

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figure I'll add to it!

Attachments

• IMG_0787.jpg
    IMG_0787.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 71

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figure I'll add to it!

Nice!

Sometimes the old joint can be tough to remove. I helped a friend with his and we ended up using a gear puller and impact gun to get the bloody thing off. He let it go WAY too long and the joint rusted to the splines.

Well done guys! :peace:

Bob

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice!

Sometimes the old joint can be tough to remove. I helped a friend with his and we ended up using a gear puller and impact gun to get the bloody thing off. He let it go WAY too long and the joint rusted to the splines.

Well done guys! :peace:

Bob

Oh boy.... might have to go borrow one from work