Auto Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulowagner

Reaction score
I have transmission oil leaking out under the engine area. The ****** sump is secure and not leaking from there. Does this mean engine out? I guess there may be a seal between the engine and the transmission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have transmission oil leaking out under the engine area. The ****** sump is secure and not leaking from there. Does this mean engine out? I guess there may be a seal between the engine and the transmission.

could be the sensors.

also, it would help if you posted what year your KJ is, etc ...

paulowagner

Reaction score
Thankyou for the sensor idea. Car is 2005 Renegade deisal 2.8L auto. I have car on hoist (Chinese hoist that fits in my shed.) Oil is coming from higher up on left hand side of engine. My second guess its from a leak in the radiator cooling the transmission oil which on my car is mounted in front of the engine cooland radiator. Can you tell me where the sensor is located?

paulowagner

Reaction score
Transmission fluid leak

I traced the leak to a hydraulic hose from the transmission oil cooler. Now I have the job of removing the pipe at both ends to replace it. Is there anything I should be aware of considering that 'what can go wrong will go wrong'? Pic of offending leak attached. At least its readily fixable rather than something serious. Am using the expensive MOPAR fluid. Is there an alternative?

Attachments

• IMG_5835.jpg
    IMG_5835.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 27

paulowagner

Reaction score
I have discovered that the leaking hose is the steering hose and not the transmission to cooler hose. Oh well...the transmission was due for new filters anyway. Thank god for the manual I downloaded thanks to the forum advice. The steering fluid is the same as the transmission fluid which I didnt know at the time. So what I saw on the floor was steering fluid after all. Looks the same. Now to read up on how to fix the steering. I wish I was mechanically minded and had done a fitter and turner course.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have discovered that the leaking hose is the steering hose and not the transmission to cooler hose. Oh well...the transmission was due for new filters anyway. Thank god for the manual I downloaded thanks to the forum advice. The steering fluid is the same as the transmission fluid which I didnt know at the time. So what I saw on the floor was steering fluid after all. Looks the same. Now to read up on how to fix the steering. I wish I was mechanically minded and had done a fitter and turner course.

power steering fix isn't too bad.

paulowagner

Reaction score
Power steering fix

Deep breath and in I go to remove a leaky hydraulic steering hose. Will track down both ends and remove. Guessing I will have to block fluid coming out of system at lower end. Hope its not too pressurised in the system.
2.8 Diesel auto Cherokee Renegade

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deep breath and in I go to remove a leaky hydraulic steering hose. Will track down both ends and remove. Guessing I will have to block fluid coming out of system at lower end. Hope its not too pressurised in the system.
2.8 Diesel auto Cherokee Renegade

i assume the P/S system is the same as the diesel.
use a turkey baster or something similar to get most of the atf out from the reservoir before you remove hoses.

Did you pin point where the leak is from?

could be leaking from the pressure sender.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no idea what those are from the picture since your the CRD other then should contain ATF+4. If you remove the leaky ones and take them to a hydraulic shop there is a good chance you can just have new hoses made that will last the lifetime of that vehicle.

Zip off the ends after you make the hoses and use the compression fitting that your hose supplier will put on them.

paulowagner

Reaction score
I pinpointed the leak. Its in a steel transmission line near the front cooler. The steel pipe rubbed thru by contact with chassis member allowing the transmission fluid to leak out drip by drip. It got pretty low by the time I got home. I soldered the pin hole, replaced both filters and topped up the fluid. Now i find that when its goes into the overdrive gear on the highway at speed the car goes into a limp home mode and loses most of its power. If I stop and switch off the ignition then its ok again until it goes back into overdrive at the faster speed. Is this a diagnostic issue that I cant fix myself? Do I have to go to the unhelpful Jeep agency who really dont want to deal with older Jeeps? What would be your next step?

Staff online

Members online