'07 auto trans ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, my daughter came home yesterday with a surprise. she purchased a 2007 Liberty. it has a 3.7 like mine, but during my first initial inspection under the hood, I was a bit confused. there is no automatic transmission dipstick. there is a hex or octagon thing where the dipstick should be. I did drive it around the block, and it shifts better than mine does. so I guess that is good. the only time i have seen that before was on her boyfriends last car, which was a Dodge Caliber with a CVT. this does not feel like his car did, so I am a bit confused. to be honest, I am praying this is not a CVT, as I have only heard bad things about them. to be fair though, all of those were high mileage vehicles, and none of the owners had any idea what a CVT even was, let alone if it was a good or bad thing. I am not even sure if Liberty's even came with CVT transmissions. did they? is there a better way than just the dipstick thing to identify if it has one?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, 08 Liberty here. Beginning in 06 (I think) the Liberties went to having no dipstick on the transmission. However it is basically the same 4 speed 42RLE transmission as before, except it got variable line pressure (VLP) to be a little more efficient. In almost all ways you can treat this transmission the same as the one that was used in 02-05. The correct ATF+4 level is determined by the fluid temperature. You can find that table in this thread:

Also here:

7a037d24-gif.27677

Last edited:

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beginning in 06 (I think) the Liberties went to having no dipstick on the transmission.

My '06 has a dipstick (thankfully), so it may have started on the '07, along with the lovely throttle by wire arrangement.

I am praying this is not a CVT, as I have only heard bad things about them.
Your trepidation concerning CVTs is not unfounded. I would absolutely pass over any vehicle I was looking at that came with one, even one with 0 miles on the clock.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They did that across multiple platforms; LX cars with the Mercedes WA580 (NAG1) trans didn't come with dipsticks (designed to not have one sitting in it apparently) nor do the modern ZF transmissions if I recall correctly. Because the fluid fill is temp based they try to force you to take it to the dealer.

ccg2301

Reaction score
Mine is an 06 (export CRD model) with the 545RFE 5 speed auto and I still have my transmission dipstick, (thank god) must have started this practice in 07. Thankfully as Ksat said, KJ models didn't come with CVT's. Would have walked away if it had.