Anyone use these guys for replacement engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What if I just buy a stock set of struts? Well I be at 19 3/4, or at 19?
Shocks do not provide lift at all
So if you are at 19 for example and install new front shocks, you will still be at 19. Shocks only control the " bounce " when going down the road.
Springs provide the lift or what holds a vehicle up at a certain height

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The strut with the spring in front doesn't come as an assembly? I know shocks only provide a dampening to keep you from bouncing, I just thought that was all one part. Remember, I'm new to the Jeep world. I've never seen this suspension design before. I don't even get my Libby back until Monday, so I can't even go outside to look at it. All I can do is look at pictures. Jeep ****! Lol

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
The strut with the spring in front doesn't come as an assembly? I know shocks only provide a dampening to keep you from bouncing, I just thought that was all one part. Remember, I'm new to the Jeep world. I've never seen this suspension design before. I don't even get my Libby back until Monday, so I can't even go outside to look at it. All I can do is look at pictures. Jeep ****! Lol

You can buy stock height pre-assembled "easystruts". Rock Auto has Monroe and Moog. 0" lift though. I think JBA and other places will assemble for a fee. I'll be buying the components from JBA (Ironman right now) and visiting a friend who can assemble for me.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I buy a stock replacement spring, it won't lift it back to my original ride height of 19.75"?

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
So if I buy a stock replacement spring, it won't lift it back to my original ride height of 19.75"?

They would but they'd just sag again.

That's a good question. I always assumed the stock replacement would only get you back to 19 even with a prelowered model, but now that I think about it I really don't know what was done by Jeep to lower them by 3/4" for "safety reasons". Maybe HJ or someone else has the info on the process used.

I did measure mine today and was a bit surprised with the results. Measured inside my nice level garage.
Nov 2001 build date:
RF: 18 3/8
LF: 18 1/2
RR: 19
LR: 19 1/2

Doesn't look like it would be that uneven but time for a change. Surprised the front is that low. The stuff under there looked very good when I recently changed my brake lines.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
After 4/12/02 they started using a shorter spring
You can not buy the springs they used for the prelowered any longer all you would get is the normal spring used after that date

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
After 4/12/02 they started using a shorter spring
You can not buy the springs they used for the prelowered any longer all you would get is the normal spring used after that date

I was assuming that was the case but never really heard it stated. Didn't think they'd bother changing other components to achieve such a small adjustment.

Guess gravity has mine extra safe. :roflbow:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

You have shocks and also springs in front, they do not come together, separate pieces . And yes although advertised as " struts" they are in fact shocks that we have on KJs/KKs
When you buy new springs no matter if aftermarket or stock they come like this ( shown are front and rear Ironman springs and shocks )
You must be registered for see images attach

together ( fronts)

installed

For comparision JBA adjustable coilovers

installed ( without bumpstops installed yet )

Someday I need to post all the different setups I have had on mine in one post to show the differences

Last edited:

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have shocks and also springs in front, they do not come together, separate pieces . And yes although advertised as " struts" they are in fact shocks that we have on KJs/KKs
When you buy new springs no matter if aftermarket or stock they come like this ( shown are front and rear Ironman springs and shocks )

together ( fronts)

installed

For comparision JBA adjustable coilovers

installed ( without bumpstops installed yet )

Someday I need to post all the different setups I have had on mine in one post to show the differences

I like the added no bumpstop installed yet :rofl:. That would be a very good thing to do having all the setups you've run in one post. What's it been like 3-4? It would give a lot of people an idea of what they can lift their Jeep with and how much lift they can expect. It would make a great sticky!

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta love those coil-overs. Thanks Tommodd I think I just soiled my pants. I owe you for that LOL.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how much lift is the Ironman setup going to give me over what I currently have? How will it affect the ride and handling on the street. I live in an area with lots of curvy roads. I have to drive 12 miles to reach a stretch that is even rated for 55mph. It is only 8 miles to the dunes, and 15 miles to the BLM cat trails from my house. I off road mostly for elk, deer, and bear hunting. We also like to take the dogs to the beach and let them run, nothing too serious. I like the way it rides and handles now, but want to fit bigger tires and improve ground clearance a bit.

By the way... Thanks for the info and pictures.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So how much lift is the Ironman setup going to give me over what I currently have? How will it affect the ride and handling on the street. I live in an area with lots of curvy roads. I have to drive 12 miles to reach a stretch that is even rated for 55mph. It is only 8 miles to the dunes, and 15 miles to the BLM cat trails from my house. I off road mostly for elk, deer, and bear hunting. We also like to take the dogs to the beach and let them run, nothing too serious. I like the way it rides and handles now, but want to fit bigger tires and improve ground clearance a bit.

By the way... Thanks for the info and pictures.
The Ironman will give you about two inches of lift without anything else added to it. This is over new stock height so about 21 - 21.50 inches from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare. Ride and handling will be 50 times better than what you have now both on and off road. Not sure how many times I've been told after finishing a lift that the owner said " Why did I wait so long its so much better now" . Mine takes turns better now than it did stock, way better. I waited until mine had 20,000 before I lifted it, should of done it at 100 miles, thats how much better it drives and rides

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, Yeah, but that much money for springs and shocks, and you'd think you'd have a choice...:superhack:

Latest posts

Members online