Anyone use these guys for replacement engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Honduras!

How's the 4.7 run. Pretty smooth? Strong? What break in process did you use? Oil, and change interval, and how did you drive it for the first x amount of miles? etc...

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh my, that's a big job Honduras. Sure ain't much room left over now huh? I bet it will scream like a ***** ape when you get it finished. Glad mine isn't going to take as long as yours too! I am having withdrawals. So is my daughter... She got home a few minutes ago from school and came in and the first thing she said to me, even before hello, was "I can't wait til the Jeep's back!" I don't like that white thing they are letting you drive, cluttering up the driveway! (It is a 2001 white Chevy Lumina 4 door) It is pretty bad too. If I sit with both feet on the ground and my butt in the driver seat, my right shoulder hits the steering wheel, my left shoulder hits the door jamb, and my head hits the roof. I don't mean touch either. I overhang at least 2 inches on all three at all times. I sort of have to dive in to get in. Then getting out is a whole different story, because I may as well be sitting on the ground with my legs out in front of me. Not pretty!

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely a large undertaking, but I'm closing in on the finish. I'm hoping, HOPING, to be finished by the end of next weekend.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, best of luck to you. I will post pictures and try to video the engine running once finished up too.

I know this is a controversial topic all over the net, but I would like to know what the 3.7L Jeep Liberty owners say about it!
Does anyone have any opinions about break in procedures? If so, lets hear them...

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it is Friday and the engine is supposed to be here today, but it didn't show up. I did get a chance to take some pictures though. They are making some progress.
02redkj-albums-02-libby-picture4662-img-20140124-154940-270.jpg

02redkj-albums-02-libby-picture4661-img-20140124-154934-195.jpg

02redkj-albums-02-libby-picture4660-img-20140124-154928-938.jpg

02redkj-albums-02-libby-picture4659-img-20140124-154917-662.jpg

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine still not here but tracked it today and it is in Oregon. Arrived too late to be on the truck today for delivery. It will be here tomorrow. Woo Hoo!

The installation kit they ordered did arrive today via FedEx.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a little. ;) I want this to be done with plenty of time for break in before having to drive it to Reno for my son's wedding on March 1st.

I have asked before, but here it goes again... What is the best way to break in the new engine?

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there are 5 of us going. My wife and I and three of our four kids. (The one getting married is coming in from Southern California.) There is no way I can afford plane tickets for that many people to Reno and back, and then rent something to drive while there. It is only a 10 to 12 hour drive from my house according to Google Maps.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use Dino only for the brake in no synthetics and vary the speed for short periods.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm no car expert, but the conventional wisdom in the past has been what Porkchop said: vary your speed. Every new car I've ever bought the advice was to mix the city/highway driving up for the first 500-1,000 miles. In other words, don't make the trip to Reno your first time out with it and don't stick exclusively to town driving before then.

Variety is the spice of life. :D

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about the first oil change? Right away, like after the first 40 to 50 miles and again at 500 to 600 then 3000? Or just do it at 500 to 600 miles? Then at 3000? Of course non-synthetic for the first 3000 miles, but when is it safe to switch? That is what I want to run for the duration of the life of the new engine. 5w-30 Mobile 1, will be my weight and brand of choice.

My thought was that i would change the oil after 40 miles of mixed driving. Then at 500, then 3000 miles later with synthetic. Anyone see a problem with my plan?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think that would hurt, but it might be overkill. I've had it recommended to me to do a change at 1,000 miles and then every 3,000 miles after that. Having an extra oil change in there along the way is probably a needless expense of time and money. On the other hand, if it makes you sleep better at night then go for it. The price of an oil change is small compared to the accumulated worry that "maybe I should have..." might bring. :)

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, change the oil pretty much right away. Debris from rebuild crud, assembly lube, cylinder wall scrapings (the first run is the roughest), accumulates the most right away. We hot-rodders had a saying "break it in fast and it will go fast". That is drastic thinking you don't want to follow for yours. But there is some truth to that as breaking in an engine too gently will hurt your ring to cylinder wall seating, and engine performance. Read this article, even twice if you need to fully grasp it: Engine Break-in
Although it's referencing motorcycle engines, the concept is exactly the same for all gas engines. It will also help you understand how the ring to cylinder break-in process works and why you want to drive a certain way.

Last edited:

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read this article, even twice if you need to fully grasp it: Engine Break-in

It was this article that made me ask this question. I didn't want to reference it, just in case you all thought this guy was nuts. His logic seems sound to me. His results, if accurate, speak for themselves. Has anyone here ever tried his method? I am contemplating it myself. Because his article is based on race motorcycle engines, I wasn't sure how that would translate to our 3.7L Jeep engine. More horsepower is a good thing, as well as fuel economy. Especially in these thirsty engines. What does everyone else think?