Anyone use these guys for replacement engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW...

The mechanic showed me a baggie full of bearing parts and silicone, which was clogging the oil pump pickup tube. He also told me that the wrist pin was about to go and 2 of the cylinder walls were very scored. Even though it hadn't completely destructed, it would have very very soon. The chunks of metal were about 1/4" across.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Prof! Did you see how good the mechanic cleaned out the engine compartment? He is really trying to do a great job for me. Oh, and remember I told you guys that the only owner had used green coolant? The mechanic said he was going to completely flush the heater core and radiator again before re-installing the engine, then is using 50/50 distilled and Zerex G-05 coolant.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
That flush-and-fill is going to save you big troubles down the road. When I had mine done it looked like there were clumps of cottage cheese in the overflow tank. I shudder to think of what the radiator and heater core must have been like.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW...

The mechanic showed me a baggie full of bearing parts and silicone, which was clogging the oil pump pickup tube. He also told me that the wrist pin was about to go and 2 of the cylinder walls were very scored. Even though it hadn't completely destructed, it would have very very soon. The chunks of metal were about 1/4" across.

My 85 pick-up had the pick-up clogged from Dealers re-sealing the valve covers over and over. The never did fix it. I installed gaskets, after dropping oil pan, finding the silicone.

It does seem like the other place didn't do a good job.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He also said that the original engine had never been removed from the vehicle. Never been off the mounts and never been separated from the ******. he said that whatever the last shop did, they did while it was installed. He said it certainly wasn't a $4000.00 engine rebuild, like the previous owner paid for.

I am just very happy that I am getting something that I know is right. I am very blessed, because I certainly have done nothing to deserve it!

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got back from my mechanic. He is 99% finished with it. Only a couple of loose ends to button up. The O2 sensor wire is not making a good connection, and the cat to manifold connection needs to be straightened, has a small leak. There is a hose on the bottom of the coolant reservoir that has a slow leak, and he has to get the A/C recharged because he had to remove it for some reason. He said Monday afternoon I will be able to pick it up. Woo Hoo! He did start it for me and it sounded pretty good. It is running a little bit rough, but he said that was because of the O2 sensor error, and the CPU trying to overcompensate for it. He said it will be purring like a kitten before he sends me home with it. It sure is a relief to hear it run like that, after hearing how it sounded before. I am so happy right now... I just had to tell somebody!!!

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonderful sounds like a good guy, so few around its nice to hear about this one.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonderful sounds like a good guy, so few around its nice to hear about this one.
He is a good guy! I like him. He seems to be a good ol' boy! Down to earth, been building engines, and repairing cars since he was in diapers, helping his daddy. He told me a story about it today.

And we be happy for you
Thanks PorkChop!

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another note... Does anyone know what the stock ride height was when the 2002 was new? Measured from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel well fender. I measured mine today and found it is 18 3/4 on each side in the front, and 19 3/4 on each side in the back. I am thinking this is one of the ones made before they had to lower them. What do you think?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Great news on the progress being made. I'm with those who think you've found that rare bird - an honest and competent mechanic. :D

As for the height, I'm not the expert but I am sure one will be along soon to answer your question. :cheers:

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
odds are if you got an 02 that you have a prelowered jeep but since its 12 years old they have weakened to the strength of any years liberty

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about doing a WesWay lift on it. How many people besides Wes, has had good luck with this lift? Any stability problems from stacking the spring insulators like that? I only want about an inch, and then get another inch or so from new factory suspension parts, and I will have about a 1.5-2" lift all around. Am I thinking correctly?

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
On another note... Does anyone know what the stock ride height was when the 2002 was new? Measured from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel well fender. I measured mine today and found it is 18 3/4 on each side in the front, and 19 3/4 on each side in the back. I am thinking this is one of the ones made before they had to lower them. What do you think?

I'm pretty sure the stock height on a prelowered KJ was 19 3/4. Post lowered was 19. But like Twack said, by now it's sagging. I know mine is. My build date is Nov 2001. I plan on measuring tomorrow as I'm probably going to be ordering a mild lift from Ironman very soon. I want a before and after measurement.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I measured my 2007 a month ago (stock 19") and got this:

LF: 18.00"
RF: 18.25"
LR: 18.75"
RR: 18.50"

I've been told that's about average in the sag department for a 7-year-old. I'm hoping to get it a fair bit higher than that soon. :mexsmoke:

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I'll try to post tomorrow when I measure. Not sure what to expect but hoping for a better ride overall. I've heard good things about the Ironman setup from JBA (thanks to Tom). Just about all my suspension components are pretty worn and weak and I'm bouncing down the road. Been getting a bit dicey after I've put about 80k and got it with 80k. I'm not looking for much of a lift but by the time you price all the stock replacements you can spend a little more and get an Ironman or OME kit.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am thinking about doing a WesWay lift on it. How many people besides Wes, has had good luck with this lift? Any stability problems from stacking the spring insulators like that? I only want about an inch, and then get another inch or so from new factory suspension parts, and I will have about a 1.5-2" lift all around. Am I thinking correctly?

wesawy lift:happy175::happy175:
every friggin time I read that I have to laugh, sorry
someone takes what has been done 100s of times and puts their name on and :shrug:Oh well
There are no stability issues with stacking rear isolators, we do it all the time, have been since back in the beginning of lifting KJs
If you want lift, do it the right way instead of buying stock junk springs buy Ironman or OME and be done. Better ride/handling/last at least 5 times longer and just a better way of doing it

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Build date before 4/12/2002 would of been 19 3/4
after that date 19

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wesway was the easiest way to describe it. So if stock height was 19 3/4 and I am at 18 3/4 in front & 19 3/4 in the rear, then it's safe to say that I have experienced no sag in the rear and 1 inch of sag up front then, right? So if I lift the front that 1 inch, I will be back to how it came from the factory?