anyone running LT 10 ply tires on their ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was calling around getting prices on tires today.have a few different ones in mind(duratracs,destinations etc.)

i am really leaning to the yokohama AT/S but when i asked about the 245/70/17, the guy told me i could only get it in a 10 ply LT tire, versus P. now ive seen this in tire spec charts, some makers have both a P and LT in the same size and never really thought much of it.
well, the guy on the phone told me i dont want the LT for my liberty because it would make the ride more harsh(bumpy is what he said) and that it wasnt suited for my vehicle,

is this true ? should i go to a different brand or size that has my size in a P designation ?
or is this guy off his rocker and making a mountain out of a anthill ?

i ask because this is my(read:my wifes) DD and for the occasional weekend i do go offroad i dont want ot give up a nice ride.

i know, im a poser, i just want the a/t's for the kick ass look, shoot me.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
i run the yokohama in the lt..and mine is just fine

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Run 245/75/16 load range E ,heavy a$$ tires,reading your post,and having had 3-4 wives,look for a load range c or d tire,think Libby is a little heavy for a P rated tire. P=passenger LT=light truck E=10 ply rating D=8ply C=6ply

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
10 plies here. Won't run anything else.

If you have a tender bottom it may bother you. ThunderbirdJunkie likes the improved handling and stiffer ride.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the quick replies .

u know , my first car was a cj-7 and the first thing i did to it was replace the 235/75/15 wrangler's with 31x10.5 super diggers and remember thinking how much greater the thing cornered. (did not change any suspension bits). i bet those were LT tires.
if thats the case iam worrying for nothing,the ride was great.

but what about the combined firmness from OME med combined with these 10 ply, will that make it even more rough, or is that two different kinds of firm.

I drive a concrete mixer 60 Hrs. a week and dont want my jeep riding like that does when its empty, dont think my back could take it.

btw, cant find any of the tires in the sizes i want in anything other than a load E LT anyway so maybe this thread is a moot point.and is that a typo that these need 80 psi.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
31x1050-15 would be load range C, so yeah.

The KJ with LRE tires will NOT ride like a CJ7. ITBJHO, the KJ is one of the best riding 4x4s there is once it's got an OME suspension under it.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm........they have the yokohamas in a 255 that are P designation.....oh decisions decisions.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I had a set of 245/75/16 BFG AT KO's in the "E" load range...and I will tell you that the ride was rough/stiff and it really pounded the front end off of the KJ.Now when I went to the LT 31x10.5's, the ride was much better...smoother and softer. The BFG's were waaaaay to heavy for the KJ in that load range IMO.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a set of 245/75/16 BFG AT KO's in the "E" load range...and I will tell you that the ride was rough/stiff and it really pounded the front end off of the KJ.Now when I went to the LT 31x10.5's, the ride was much better...smoother and softer. The BFG's were waaaaay to heavy for the KJ in that load range IMO.

ya , im not liking what the tire dealer said about it being bumpy. but both the duratrac245/70 and yokohama 245/70 are both load range E, and thise were choices #1 and #2 respectively.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
ya , im not liking what the tire dealer said about it being bumpy. but both the duratrac245/70 and yokohama 245/70 are both load range E, and thise were choices #1 and #2 respectively.

Yeah, Sears tried to tell me that the tires were too heavy for the KJ, but I thought I knew better.....they were right.:rolleyes:

As soon as I changed tires I felt a difference.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Get the duratracs over the yokos. Longer wear, better wet traction.

Also, about 60,000 miles of running nothing but 245/75-16 LR E tires on the KJ...rides and handles 100x better than stock.