Another Lift Kit Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TKJ

Reaction score
I’m trying to understand lifts, tire size, etc. So roughly the stock tire size is 29.5”, correct? So if you put on a 2.5” lift, shouldn’t you be able to put on a 32” tire or at least 31.5? Again, I’m just trying to learn and understand. The Jeep has a 3.73 rear end.
Stock tires are 29 inches. While maybe in a book learning world that may compute. But in the real world, it doesn't work that way. Now if you let it sit in your front yard then yes it would work with 32s , but when driving, twisting it up some , no 32s are too big. When many of us say what size works it's a good bet that it comes from years of experience in what works, what doesn't. Plus if you want to lose 5-6 mpg, and have it shifting on every little grade and no flex room then by all means try 32s . Well 31.5s for 32s, 30.5s for 31s ( 245-75-16 etc ) Now someday when my electric and internet are back up and working I'm sure Mudd will be found again

streetsnake

Reaction score
On stock 7 or stock 7.5 the 255s
The 245s are over 8 inches wide by a bit so sit better on an 8 inch wide "wheel"
Rim is just part of a wheel
So I dont understand this. Aren’t the 255s wider than 245s. Looking at the Falken website, the at3s 245/70-17 are taller and thinner than the 255/65-17s

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes 255's should be wider than 245's, you can find how metric sizing works on the interwebs, then get crazy with your calculatorial device. Have fyn!.

streetsnake

Reaction score
As, I trying to watch some videos of replacing the front suspension, it looks like I need to buy more parts to put the spring/strut together. Can anyone help on what I need to get? I’d rather purchase new/higher quality vs reusing stock items. Also, this will allow me to be able to have everything ready to go versus having to stop and try to get someone to compress the spring and put everything together. Thx in advance.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As, I trying to watch some videos of replacing the front suspension, it looks like I need to buy more parts to put the spring/strut together. Can anyone help on what I need to get? I’d rather purchase new/higher quality vs reusing stock items. Also, this will allow me to be able to have everything ready to go versus having to stop and try to get someone to compress the spring and put everything together. Thx in advance.
Watching videos ?
What do you think you need from the socalled experts on the videos

streetsnake

Reaction score
Watching videos ?
What do you think you need from the socalled experts on the videos
Nobody is saying I need to purchase stuff but wouldn’t I need to take some of the parts off and reuse them when I do the front suspension? I’d have to take said parts and have the spring/shock assembled?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
255-65-17 section width ls 10.2 , tread width is 8.7 and height is 30.1
245-70-17 is , section width 9.8 , tread 8.1 and height 30.5
265-70-17 is section 10.7, tread width is 8.8 and height is 31.6
NOW there are all based on a BFG , just to show comparison due to say Coopers which always run smaller in size than other
One reason I run what I do, I want the width and height that works well and is widest and tallest in the size I run ( currently the General Grabber AT/X )

Now back to running " 32s " on 2.5 inches of lift
For one there would be no space to flex any at all
Second , even with pinch welds pounded over say on my 03 with 2.5 inches of lift and 265-70-16s ( 30.6 inches tall General Grabbers ) when partially turned I can not get my finger hardly in between tread and the pounded over pinch weld . With 32s no way
To prove a point years ago , we installed 32s on a 2.5 lift and the guy had to do a 30 point turn to even get out of my driveway and that was on a half worn set of ties and a brand new OME lift that had just been installed
So the reason I suggested the 245s early on with stock wheels etc was due to the more narrow tread width which would work much better in your case

Now that my power is back on, well internet as well TKJ can take a break LOL

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody is saying I need to purchase stuff but wouldn’t I need to take some of the parts off and reuse them when I do the front suspension? I’d have to take said parts and have the spring/shock assembled?
You reuse or buy new upper and lower front isolaters depending on how yours look

streetsnake

Reaction score
255-65-17 section width ls 10.2 , tread width is 8.7 and height is 30.1
245-70-17 is , section width 9.8 , tread 8.1 and height 30.5
265-70-17 is section 10.7, tread width is 8.8 and height is 31.6
NOW there are all based on a BFG , just to show comparison due to say Coopers which always run smaller in size than other
One reason I run what I do, I want the width and height that works well and is widest and tallest in the size I run ( currently the General Grabber AT/X )

Now back to running " 32s " on 2.5 inches of lift
For one there would be no space to flex any at all
Second , even with pinch welds pounded over say on my 03 with 2.5 inches of lift and 265-70-16s ( 30.6 inches tall General Grabbers ) when partially turned I can not get my finger hardly in between tread and the pounded over pinch weld . With 32s no way
To prove a point years ago , we installed 32s on a 2.5 lift and the guy had to do a 30 point turn to even get out of my driveway and that was on a half worn set of ties and a brand new OME lift that had just been installed
So the reason I suggested the 245s early on with stock wheels etc was due to the more narrow tread width which would work much better in your case

Now that my power is back on, well internet as well TKJ can take a break LOL
Gotcha. Thx. So you recommend the 245s? I was thinking you were recommending the 255s which started my initial confusion, then decided to ask about the lift questions.

streetsnake

Reaction score
You reuse or buy new upper and lower front isolaters depending on how yours look
So the shocks/springs will come with everything I need to have them assembled? Doesn't the shock/spring mount to the strut mount?

Last edited:

RonB

Reaction score
Yes , no difference between 2 and 4 wheel drive
What shocks are you using ?
TY any real difference between the OME and Bilsteen> Probably go with the lower price.If no significant difference go with recommended.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
TY any real difference between the OME and Bilsteen> Probably go with the lower price.If no significant difference go with recommended.
Some people say they can feel a difference
I have installed bilsteins at least 5 to one here and my behind can not tell that much difference .
I have Bilsteins on all 3 of my KJs if that makes any difference

RonB

Reaction score
I run Bilsteins on my Challenger. They have been making stuff forever and have a good rep. Probably go that rout.

streetsnake

Reaction score
I know I’m probably going to get scolded but here it goes. Decided on the wildpeaks at3ws. Was going to order the 245/70/17s. They are 30.6“ high. Then I saw the 235/75/17s at 31.1” high. Would you think the 235s are going to rub an I should stay with the 245s?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry streetsnake, I don’t remember how much lift you’ve got. If 2.5”, you can run the 30.6’s but may have to pound over the pinch weld. The 31.1’s don’t sound much taller at first, but I am guessing you need more lift to run them without significant rubbing. I will defer to Tom on that. They will also eat up more power/gas mileage to the point you’d be forced to regear to 4.10’s to keep it reasonable.

Last edited:

streetsnake

Reaction score
Sorry streetsnake, I don’t remember how much lift you’ve got. If 2.5”, you can run the 30.6’s but may have to pound over the pinch weld. The 31.1’s don’t sound much taller at first, but I am guessing you need more lift to run them without significant rubbing. I will defer to Tom on that. They will also eat up more power/gas mileage to the point you’d be forced to regear to 4.10’s to keep it reasonable.
Yes, you are correct. 2.5" lift. I've tried to keep all my posts about my lift to this one thread. I didn't think about the regearing factor. I thought maybe I'd get away with the extra .5" Speaking of putting different tires on in general. Can I find a different speedo gear that can be easily changed out to keep mph correct?