Air Intakes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moab

Reaction score
Are these really giving you the performance you expect?
I mean the engine was designed to get a certain amount of air in and the stock setup with a good quality clean filter should do the trick...right?
A good filter is alot cheaper than an Air intake system.. Am I missin' something.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about getting an intake for a while but for my uses, I don't think it would be worth what it would cost to get one.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most seem to feel the KJ's intake system is pretty free-flowing to start with, so aftermarket intakes offer little advantage. They also have more potential to suck up water if your KJ happens to take a dip :)

Personally I am using an Amsoil EA air filter in the stock box. I have no opinion on other air filters ;)

peepwall.gif

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are going to pay about $250+ for an intake that will give you about 2-3 HP(that is what K&N advertise for the 3.7L). Investment is not worth the return, IMHO.

DJ

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What K&N claims and what is delivered is a lot different, I tried a K&N , tried a dry filter and a lot of different setup
Best so far as far as mileage and seat of the pants feel is the stock box, Amsoil filter and a 3 inch hose out to the grill running right in the stock box and pointing up at the filter

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thought is that the OEM intake ***** cold air in from outside the way it is designed. An aftermarket intake ***** air from inside the hot engine bay. Add to that , filters that are less restrictive letting in more of that hot air and also more particulates.

So I like the stock setup. As to what brand of filter to use, I don't know which is better? Changing them is maybe (?) more important. I have used the OEM one, a Fram, and now using Purolator filters and changing them once a year and they do not seem to be very dirty. Change frequency just depends on your climate I guess.

Other than the OEM setup, a snorkle would work better than one of those aftermarket intakes that sit in the engine bay.

Just my thoughts.

Dave

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also use a Purolator air filter.

I feel like Jeep has one of the bigger grills in the vehicle world - quite a bit of cool air already comes in naturally because of it.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a sweet ebay intake. it pretty much an aem copy, but for $30. Dont know if i get much extra power from it but it sounds badass under the hood haha

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thought is that the OEM intake ***** cold air in from outside the way it is designed. An aftermarket intake ***** air from inside the hot engine bay. Add to that , filters that are less restrictive letting in more of that hot air and also more particulates.

So I like the stock setup. As to what brand of filter to use, I don't know which is better? Changing them is maybe (?) more important. I have used the OEM one, a Fram, and now using Purolator filters and changing them once a year and they do not seem to be very dirty. Change frequency just depends on your climate I guess.

Other than the OEM setup, a snorkle would work better than one of those aftermarket intakes that sit in the engine bay.

Just my thoughts.

Dave
I agree.

Stock intake for me with a Purolator filter for the KJ. Although, I would do a snorkel if I had the $$.

i have a sweet ebay intake. it pretty much an aem copy, but for $30. Dont know if i get much extra power from it but it sounds badass under the hood haha
This is the #1 reason why many people go with "cold" air intakes.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock intake for me with a Purolator filter for the KJ. Although, I would do a snorkel if I had the $$.

Yup....... Before I would waste $$ on one of those aftermarket intakes I would put the $$ into a snorkle. Then you would not lose your Factory CAI and also have water protection.

Dave

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the K&N intake. Its advertised at 6.36HP. I have noticed better pickup, the main reason why I bought it was for the fuel economy, Im getting 2-5MPG better now. It also sounds nice, which would be great if I had a deeper muffler. They also make water resistant covers incase you plan on going through rivers. Also has the heat shield.

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only modification I've done on the intake of my Liberty is to cut out the "accordion" section of the intake tube running from the air box to the TB. I replaced it with a section of aluminum tubing and installed a drop in K&N filter element. The cost was under $40.00.

I've got no "scientific" data and haven't experienced any huge "butt-o-meter" increases in HP, but I have seen an improvement in fuel mileage and the throttle response is a bit crisper.

The "theory" behind the mod was provided by a buddy who builds custom turbo systems. He thought that the "accordion" section in the intake tube caused turbulence and possibly a low pressure zone, just "up-stream" of the TB intake. He felt that by replacing the "lumpy" tube, it eliminated the disruption of air flow and allowed for a smoother flow into the TB and plenum.

I installed the K&N just to get a little better flow.

As I said, no scientific data, just some anecdotal observations on my part.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doesn't the computer readjust after a while anyway? Thought I read that somewhere last year when I was thinking of doing the air intake mod and it changed my mind.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Readjust to what? I think my engine runs better with the intake personally.

KJNJJeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking into this as well. I would like to redo the intake and the exhaust at the same time. I was also thinking about getting a performance chip. I am looking to go with the K&N and the Flowmaster Super 44 series. From what I have read is that to get the most of the additions you need to reset or replace the factory chip. I am not sure how much of that is true but it does make sense. Put on all your performance parts then adjust the chip to make use out of them. I was looking for a hand held tuner to help with this but I haven't seen any good ones on the market.

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's my opinion that the claims of massive HP gains from air intakes alone are, overstated, to say the least. Same with exhaust systems.

Individually, well designed intake and/or exhaust systems will improve efficiency and provide a bit of an improvement, but not the 10-20% some manufactures claim.

To see real increases, in addition to intake and exhaust improvements, a good programmer is needed... not just a chip. There are consequences for using one of these... not necessarily bad, just little things like having to use 91 octane fuel to get the greatest results... plus, possibly running afoul of pollution control regulations and warranty provisions.

I have some knowledge, but I'm certainly no expert... so I am not in the position to criticize anyone's modifications. I just keep my mods conservative until I see independent proof of a manufacturers claims...

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You dont necessisarily need a chip if you get one. Just throw it on, and go. If you want to optomise the results get the chip or programmer. The only chips I have seen for the liberty are mpg ones and performance chips with no screen. They consider exhaust and intake standard, and suggest a regular chip, then there is the other model for mods beyond them, and require the higher octane fuel. Something I will never do or get due to gas prices and the cost. Hope I helped