05 Liberty V6 3.7 AC not blowing cool air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SomberBurrito

Reaction score
So I have a 2005 Liberty V6 3.7l and I'm currently having troubles with the AC. So just a disclaimer, I am not a mechanic nor do I know how to fix up cars which is why I'm here. I just need a few questions answered.

I bought the recommended freon for the jeep and I attempted to fill the freon into the low intake. When I connected it the compressor kept on coming off and on causing the pressure to fluctuate on the gauge that comes with the freon. I filled it up until the compressor stopped turning off and was fully running without stopping. I checked the cannister that holds the freon and the associated metal hoses and they are ice cold. I go back to my car and it isn't blowing cold air but the air isn't very hot either. I checked all the filters and everything and they are all clean.

What could be my issue that is causing the AC to not blow cool air? Is it because I don't have enough freon in it or clogged hoses? I need assistance so I know not to get ripped off by a mechanic to get it fixed.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 2005 Liberty V6 3.7l and I'm currently having troubles with the AC. So just a disclaimer, I am not a mechanic nor do I know how to fix up cars which is why I'm here. I just need a few questions answered.

I bought the recommended freon for the jeep and I attempted to fill the freon into the low intake. When I connected it the compressor kept on coming off and on causing the pressure to fluctuate on the gauge that comes with the freon. I filled it up until the compressor stopped turning off and was fully running without stopping. I checked the cannister that holds the freon and the associated metal hoses and they are ice cold. I go back to my car and it isn't blowing cold air but the air isn't very hot either. I checked all the filters and everything and they are all clean.

What could be my issue that is causing the AC to not blow cool air? Is it because I don't have enough freon in it or clogged hoses? I need assistance so I know not to get ripped off by a mechanic to get it fixed.
COULD be a lot of things - but - The gage fluctuation is normal. It will vibrate a bit as the compressor ***** refrigerant in from the low side (the port you charged). Be careful, as you could overcharge it (too much refrigerant) which would lead the compressor to stall or lock up due to the excess pressure. Since your lines feel cold, i suspect that your issue could include the blend door in the heater/ac box under the dash. It is not a job for the faint of heart, as there is a lot of disassembly needed to get in there to work on the thing.

SomberBurrito

Reaction score
It has slightly colder air when on low setting. I haven't checked the pressure for the freon yet so I don't know if I need more or not. It is cold but not cold enough. What would be the price estimate to go under there and get that fixed if I were to go to a mechanic?

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has slightly colder air when on low setting. I haven't checked the pressure for the freon yet so I don't know if I need more or not. It is cold but not cold enough. What would be the price estimate to go under there and get that fixed if I were to go to a mechanic?
To have the AC serviced -vacuumed, charged and keak tested- I have paid $240. If they find a part that is cracked and leaking, the charges go up. I have replaced all the "under hood" parts and had them just service. The same mechanic quoted me $1800 to replace the evaporator core which us right next to the blend door. They hate to do it because it takes 2 days and ties up one of their bays. I did my self...not mechanically complicated, just need time, patience and good "book keeping" (marker, zip lock bags to record where you remived the screws, masking tape...label everything! ) and follow the How To on this site. Hope this helps.

john e denson

Reaction score
Mine ac feels colder on the lower fan speed just because it is blowing less air and makes it feel colder. The freon I buy has gauge on the can to tell you when it is charged.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My 2004 jeep liberty only holds 2 cans of r/134, with a new compressor should come pre-filled with oil and add up to 2 cans, to much can cause warm air?

billyoungm

Reaction score

Sounds like a bad blend door actuator. It's a common part to fail and when it does, the ac and the heater tends to blow lukewarm air all the time regardless of the settings.
In an 05, replacing the blend door actuator requires dismantling most of the dash and install a new actuator.
Removing the dash is like 5 hours of labor, so the cost of repair is pretty high.
Their are instructions and videos that describe the repair- just search for blend door actuator replacement. I think it's the same procedure for 2001 - 2006 models. 2007 and later is quite different.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It only holds 2.2 cans of r-134 empty. It should have some in there. I replaced my compressor with a new one (rockauto cheapest) and only 1.5 cans were filled!

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It only holds 2.2 cans of r-134 empty. It should have some in there. I replaced my compressor with a new one (rockauto cheapest) and only 1.5 cans were filled!
I know some Freon cans have gauges but don't overfill, last but not least let out all exsisting freon and start over!

Members online

No members online now.