5x8 trailer behind a Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluefish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a 5x8 enclosed utility trailer and am wondering if anyone on here uses their KJ to tow one. I also found a 4x8. I could see how the KJ might tow a 5x8 okay, but not effortlessly. I'd like to fit it with a heated water tank and outdoor shower and a sink a freshwater tank to use camping and diving around the coast of northern CA. My KJ is an 02 V6 5 speed, which I believe means I have 3.73 gears. Here are a couple examples:

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/5297800952.html

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/5291168915.html

https://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/5300075177.html

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I tow a 6 X10 enclosed quite a bit
2 trips from Ohio to Boston,
2 trips from Ohio to Orlando
and many many trips all over Ohio moving
also have a 5X8 homebuilt with 30 inch side boards we load down with wood / Harleys/ whatever and pull it around everywhere

No problems at all
Older pictures but................
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd expect a Libby to handle any load one could reasonably pull on a single axle trailer.

Bob

Bluefish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on, thanks for the feedback guys. I will go ahead and opt for the 5x8! Now to sell my car trailer :)

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I like your middle choice blufish just for the ramp rear door. Put the v-nose from your first choice on it and it's even better.

I have a 2 axle trailer that's 8x14 with a v-nose I pull with my Liberty CRD. CRD has a tow limit of 5000 pounds but you can't exceed 8'x8' frontal area and the overdrive needs to be turned off.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

If they can do that, you can tow a little 5x8 :D

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I hauled a 5x8 400 miles, fully loaded, and half the cargo was books. Pulled it like a champ. :)

Bluefish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn those trailers look huge behind those KJ's! I think I the middle choice with a ramp door is looking pretty sweet ;)

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn those trailers look huge behind those KJ's! I think I the middle choice with a ramp door is looking pretty sweet ;)

If someone is actually pulling those trailers with a Liberty I hope the cops shut them down. Bad enough when they actually have a big enough vehicle pulling them.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you don't go over 3500lbs with the 5 speed. Also it would help to do the HD cooling mod if you plan on driving in hot temps

Last edited:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you don't go over 3500lbs with the 5 speed. Also it would help to do the HD cooling mod if you plan on driving in hor temps

I was just about to state this lol. I think he is saying that he has a 5 speed manual. Towing capacity is limited to 3500lbs which ***** for us MT guys!

However I did read this online about the Liberty. "The clutch design of the manuals results in a lower tow rating than that of the automatics. A driver skilled in towing with manuals may be able to safely tow more than Class II."

I have done enough towing and manual driving that I would exceed capacity as long as it is not putting obvious strain on anything or causing overheating.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Unless he is hauling a lot of heavy tools or a whole load of books chances are he would not exceed that anyways.
Well unless like me and load to the hilt , spending a couple of years as a bedbugger ( mover for North American Van Lines ) I know how to get the most in a small space.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom, my experience is just the opposite. Managing to use something small in ample space.:emotions34:

Bob

robert.janowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got mine yesterday. I thought it was just a basic sport. Come to find out it has the tow package. Double cooling fans. One electric and the other belt driven. Plus a class 3 hitch. Does anyone else have an oil pan heater. How well does it work. Because mine does. Along with skid plates from the front to just behind transfer case.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tigerKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read the "HOW TO: Tow Stuff" thread and it mentions that the Liberty comes with a transmission cooler. I was just wondering where it was located? Since I did not see it initially, I thought I did not have one or that it is part of the radiator assembly (I have seen a couple like that).

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I read the "HOW TO: Tow Stuff" thread and it mentions that the Liberty comes with a transmission cooler. I was just wondering where it was located? Since I did not see it initially, I thought I did not have one or that it is part of the radiator assembly (I have seen a couple like that).

I believe some early models were in the radiator. My 2007 is a separate cooler and sits in front of the radiator.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Since you have an '02 your ****** cooler is in the radiator - which is arguably better than being a stand-alone cooler in front of the radiator and A/C condenser.

The hose routing on yours will look slightly different than this but the same idea. You'll have two lines to your radiator - one send and one return. The two extras in this pic are from a project where I added in-radiator cooling to my stand-alone to even out the temp spikes.

Bob