KJ Buying Guide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curt_jk

Reaction score
Hello
I am familiar with Wranglers, but not the Liberty. I have been thinking about getting a Liberty for my son. It would mostly be a commuter, but some fire roads.

Here in Northern California, it appears the "average" 2004 KJ, 150,000 miles, is about $5k.

Is there anything specific I should look for in a used model? I did find a thread mentioning transmission issues https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/new-to-the-board.60580/#post-694050

Here is a KJ on Craigslist I was interested in https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/d/north-highlands-2004-jeep-liberty/7308510276.html

Any guidance or information appreciated!

Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You more than likely do not have the rust issues we do in the Midwest
But check around upper brake light for rust and normal places
Next from the pictures , suspension. With the amount of miles springs and shocks were done 100,000 miles ago
So consider that in price
Check front driveshaft rear CV, there should be a rubber boot back there but if never changed , more than likely gone and needing to be rebuilt ( cheap and easy to do )
Lower call joints are a major wear item, but Moog greaseable's are the best replacement
Check compression if you can, make sure correct NGK copper plugs are in there
Check radiator for any leaks, they tend to crack on left side upper at times
Check all windows to make sure they all work, some people have issues with the regulators
Prices must be high out there
My 03 I bought new 5 years ago ( one owner , all paperwork on all repairs ) with less than 80,000 miles for under what they want for that one now
KJs are great little rides , that's why I keep collecting them ( 02s to 05s only )
Wish I was your son, dang
as far as transmissions I never had any issues, bought my 04 brand new and now over 230,000 miles on it

Quickest way to check suspension ( left front on level ground ) is measure middle of the wheel ( hub area ) to bottom of the flare , new stock was 19 inches

Taking it off road check to see if any skids are under there also

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a bit of slight damage to the front L & R Bumper areas. Right front cracked turn lens, Discount time..
Headlights need polishing.
That Top of the line Renegade appears to be in nice condition! Color is called Khacki, same as my 04.
Paint appears to be overall pretty good. Someone has kept it in ok shape overall.
Also it appears to have the "selec-trac" transfer case !
Hopefully it comes with two Keys & remote fobs, and the owners manual.
The manual can be hidden when opening the glove box and just above is where the book may be.
If you have the VIN # you can get an online free build sheet, indicating all the options here: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/build-sheet.64657/
Nice Jeep ! :)

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
I picked up the same renegade with all the options you have for a for a lot less. Mine was a private sale and not from a dealer or auto sales place. So over the last 9 months of owning it, I've replaced the spark plugs, transfer case oil (nasty and was low), rear end oil (really bad).
Check the rear struts when you open the rear glass hatch, it should pop all the way up, if it stops 3/4 of the way up, new struts are needed. Your going to bang your head on the side of the glass and it hurts.
So the only bad from mine is a whine from the rear end at about 40-50 mph. Let off the gas and the noise goes away.
Take it for a test drive and listen at those speeds.
Also, from all the vehicles I have owned, this unit burns the most gas.
Mine also burns a lot of oil, thinking it's the valve seals leaking into the combustion chamber.
Haven't done an oil change yet because of the oil consumption.
All in all, they are a fun little vehicles. I call it my wife's side by side. Wish we would of had some snow this winter to try out the 4X4 capabilities.
Only tried the 4X4 so far in rain and a few light snow days.
Read up on how to change gears in the transfer case.
I caused a lot of grinding and thumps before I read up on it.
Best way to put it in low, coast at 1-2 mph in neutral and it goes in and out smoothly.
Mine has got heated seats too. Check on the side of the front seats to see if you have that option, not that you need it, nice in cool mornings to warm up the lumbar and rump.
Get ready to have a nice 4X4 if you show it a bit of TLC.

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Renegade is a good option as it has the full compliment of skid plates from the factory as well as a slightly higher ride height and the other various obvious options like the light bar.

Lots of good suggestions here! Please, please, please take the vehicle to a competent mechanic for an inspection before you buy! I'd probably wait for another Liberty to pop up with lower mileage, BUT that unit appears to be in good shape. The seats are in really good shape for 148,000mi! If you are going to go offroad the Renegade trim is the one to get, but finding skid plates for a Sport or Limited probably isn't super difficult. Just get the Liberty that is in the absolute best condition you can possibly find. I think there are a decent number of Liberty's out there that are sitting at people's retirement condos and don't get driven much. One of those low mileage units would be good. The price of this Liberty seems high, but perhaps that what the local market dictates.

- On top of the previous suggestions I'd recommend watching out for the expensive stuff like engine or transmission oil leaks (there will be a few by now on there if the P/O didn't maintain it). Good price bargaining chip here.
- If there are ANY issues with the HVAC besides the fan speed selector I'd move on to the next. Replacing the heater core, blend doors, or AC evaporator core is a BIG job and if you hire a mechanic to do it the bill will be over $1000. So, don't compromise here because there are lots of KJs out there!
- Struts and shocks are a big ticket item, so make sure they are working okay.
- Like Tommudd said the front prop shaft tends to lose its seal eventually and the CV joint will come apart. This is a super easy fix if you buy a complete prop shaft, but it is a good bargaining chip

Last edited:

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello
I am familiar with Wranglers, but not the Liberty. I have been thinking about getting a Liberty for my son. It would mostly be a commuter, but some fire roads.

Here in Northern California, it appears the "average" 2004 KJ, 150,000 miles, is about $5k.

Is there anything specific I should look for in a used model? I did find a thread mentioning transmission issues https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/new-to-the-board.60580/#post-694050

Here is a KJ on Craigslist I was interested in https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/d/north-highlands-2004-jeep-liberty/7308510276.html

Thanks

I'm actually in Sac and have a 02 KJ that I've been modifying.
That 04 liberty is a decent candidate because it has select trac (which is awesome in Nor Cal - it's like a subaru + 4x4 in one). At this point in the life cycle of the vehicle, expect brakes, tires, shocks/springs, and control joints will need to be replaced. If you do it yourself, it's a few weeks of garage work that costs about $1000. That's typical for an older used car, so just expect that and actually gives you an opportunity to build it up as you like.

The thing I would keep an eye out for is the engine and trans. The '03+ trans can overheat and fry so make sure it shifts okay. The 3.7 also sometimes drops valves and wipes entire engines out. So make sure no funny noises, etc.

Just so you know, I bought my 02 limited with rebuilt engine/trans in the bay area for $4k 2 years ago. Since then, tires, all suspension, brakes, brake lines, front/rear diff rebuilt, ac system replaced, new battery, new power steering pump and lines, and axles. I've guessing 2k has been put into the rig and I trust it to drive anywhere over (almost) anything at this point.

Playa47

Reaction score
Hello

Thanks

I own the same year and model. Check for rear damage - the spare tire mount is not aligned correctly. It should be perpendicular to the body and it is canted out. Good luck - they are great cars. Jim

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I own the same year and model. Check for rear damage - the spare tire mount is not aligned correctly. It should be perpendicular to the body and it is canted out. Good luck - they are great cars. Jim
Someone may have turned the mount upside down, many do it