3.7 > crd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just because I drive a gas engined vehicle doesn't mean I hate the KJ CRD. Now uh.... WK CRD, yes I hate it. Why? It's a diesel guzzler. And there's no reason for it besides Daimler dumbing down the engine for Jeep so their ML could look better. Yes the ML has a 7 speed automatic, but that shouldn't account for several, several extra MPGs.

I loved my KJ CRD. I still do despite how much of a PITA it was. I'd still have it if the dealership didn't (censored) it up.

what ever. hypocrite :p

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
haha i dont like sitting in a dealership lobby wondering if the repairs will break a grand

The CRD's repairs are seriously overblown. All that crap is overblown.

Parts cost more, not gonna deny that at all. But it's just so lovable.

Of course, anyone who hasn't ever had one can hate on it.

All I'm saying. Most CRD haters are ones who have never had one.

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you carry extra intercooler hoses,fuel filters,and mount,a wood screw for the EGR valve. Been fooling with diesel for 40 years,gas is way easier to make rock.

No I do not carry all that stuff with me. I have ghorrila tape in case of a burst hose... any turbo engine can burst a charge air hose though. I don't carry a fuel filter but I have a spare at home. My EGR is disabled utill I install SEGR to totally disable it or get a GDE tune.

yeah I have done things for longevity but I have not spent much doing so.
Plus I love the CRD and its uniqueness.
I trust it as well or better than any vehicle I have owned before incliding the Subarus.

I'm happy with it. you may not think its better than a gas one but I don't honestly care much about that. I have spent less on this than keeping my Outback running. You may not believe that or uderstand it but it is so. I feel I got the engine I thought was best in the Jeep I liked best for me. I cant say for you I will say I have tried to show its not a horrable thing or expensive to own and has been enjoyable. If you feel the same about your Gasser I'm very happy for you, please don't pee on my parade and I won't on yours.

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CRD's repairs are seriously overblown. All that crap is overblown.

Parts cost more, not gonna deny that at all. But it's just so lovable.

Of course, anyone who hasn't ever had one can hate on it.

All I'm saying. Most CRD haters are ones who have never had one.

Thank you Marlon

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I trust it as well or better than any vehicle I have owned before incliding the Subarus.

I have spent this keeping my Outback running. I'm very happy for you, please pee on my parade and I won't on yours.

MMM,head gasket eater comparable to a Jeep? kopkrab.gif (flagusa)

Reaction score
No I do not carry all that stuff with me. I have ghorrila tape in case of a burst hose... any turbo engine can burst a charge air hose though. I don't carry a fuel filter but I have a spare at home. My EGR is disabled utill I install SEGR to totally disable it or get a GDE tune.

yeah I have done things for longevity but I have not spent much doing so.
Plus I love the CRD and its uniqueness.

I'm happy with it. you may not think its better than a gas one but I don't honestly care much about that. I have spent less on this than keeping my Outback running. You may not believe that or uderstand it but it is so. I feel I got the engine I thought was best in the Jeep I liked best for me. I cant say for you I will say I have tried to show its not a horrable thing or expensive to own and has been enjoyable. If you feel the same about your Gasser I'm very happy for you, please don't pee on my parade and I won't on yours.

you cant compare your jeep to a subaru outback. we are talking about 3.7L v6s. not ******** subaru engines.
gas>diesel. atleast in this case.
FLAWLESS VICTORY!!!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not bashing a CRD, as I do think it's a cool engine. I just can't justify getting one now when my 3.7 does everything I ask of it. If I did it all over again, I might consider a CRD, but...I don't know.

And for towing, I have the LR3...7700 pounds! CRD KJ or not....I'd be scared to tow that with a KJ...worried about the structure.

And I'd take a CRD any day over a Hemi. Never will own a Hemi again.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You don't have to,they have not made a "HEMI" in 20 some odd years.

Oh your 3.7 is more of a HEMI then the so called HEMI's.

I'll rephrase....

A CRD any day over the sorry 5.7 excuse for a "Hemi". :D

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MMM,head gasket eater comparable to a Jeep? kopkrab.gif (flagusa)

actually the subarus were known to eat head gaskets... I will give you that the 2000 -2002 2.5 litre engine was the one that was infamous for that. my last subaru was a 2003 with the 2.5L engine. I had a 1990 Legacy I that had over 200,000 on when I traded it only because the transmision was acting funny and the A/c was busted and not worth fixing. the 2.2L engine in that was fine and ran like a swiss watch the day I traded it.

I can't compare ownership of a gas jeep to my CRD since I have not owned or ever even test driven a gas KJ. Compairing it to the outback it tows more has more room, can go farther off-road and the CRD get the same MPG or sometimes even a little better, a gas KJ wound get worse MPG in conparison to other vehicles I have owned.

I only know what I see on forums and hear other places same as you all. I don't hate the gas KJ I'm sure its fine but has its own set of isssues like anything else.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not bashing a CRD, as I do think it's a cool engine. I just can't justify getting one now when my 3.7 does everything I ask of it. If I did it all over again, I might consider a CRD, but...I don't know.

And for towing, I have the LR3...7700 pounds! CRD KJ or not....I'd be scared to tow that with a KJ...worried about the structure.

And I'd take a CRD any day over a Hemi. Never will own a Hemi again.
What happened with the hemi? Just curious, as mine has about 110,000 flogged miles on it (speed, experimentation and towing/hauling) with no problems other than replacing an alternator and regular maintenance.
You don't have to,they have not made a "HEMI" in 20 some odd years.

Oh your 3.7 is more of a HEMI then the so called HEMI's.
Don't start THIS one again...you wanna get technical there hasn't been a "true hemispherical combustion chamber" engine since WWII.

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a dumb thread. Gassers are gassers and diesels area diesels. Ive gotten 748 miles on a tank before. That will never happen with a gasser. I bought my truck for torque (330 ft pounds dyno'd) and mileage. I can make my own fuel in my garage for less than 1.00$ a gallon. Tell me a gasser guy who can do that!(welcome)

Reaction score
Its a dumb thread. Gassers are gassers and diesels area diesels. Ive gotten 748 miles on a tank before. That will never happen with a gasser. I bought my truck for torque (330 ft pounds dyno'd) and mileage. I can make my own fuel in my garage for less than 1.00$ a gallon. Tell me a gasser guy who can do that!(welcome)

i cant because im not a hippie.
i'll buy my gas at a gas station and keep providing jobs for other americans.

if teh crd was so great, why dont they sell so many?
i mean, people are going nutso for gasmileage right? buying smartcars and what not. if it was so great people would buy it

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Its a dumb thread.

Yet you participate.
Gassers are gassers and diesels area diesels.

YA DON'T SAY?
Ive gotten 748 miles on a tank before. That will never happen with a gasser. I bought my truck for torque (330 ft pounds dyno'd) and mileage. I can make my own fuel in my garage for less than 1.00$ a gallon. Tell me a gasser guy who can do that!(welcome)

And your CRD was also modified by the previous owner to fix factory reliability issues that afflict every single CRD out there. And you can't get your 748 miles per tank without driving like a 97 year old woman that can't see the road. If somebody with a gasser were dumb enough to try your techniques they could probably get a similar number.
JLRockies is not getting significantly better fuel economy than ThunderbirdJunkie. Exprain that one, prease.

Reliability>Power

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.