3.7 > crd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Since I do not speak your dialect (you suck at Spanish) I can only imagine what you are trying to say.

Got lost for words now have you TBJ?

The CRD will outlast the 3.7....ow that hurt? Sorry..

Not.

Try fording a puddle. JK's suck.

Not in the US..you don't even have a Voyager now..so what's your point..I loved my Voyagers...all 3 of them...ow, sorry, the first 2 had gasser engines....3.0 V6....darn..those were made by Mitsubishi...no wait, the Grand Voyager had 3.3 and 3.8 engines..ow..the one that is now in the JK...

Minor correction: We have the Town and Country, and Grand Caravan here, and those are IDENTICAL to the Voyager. Just saying.

This thread cracks me up, more fun than watching Family Guy. You guys are going at it like beta fish in the same bowl. Hahaha.

Needless to say, I'll keep my 3.7. Love my $15 oil changes, $2.60 a gallon gas, and it's payed offness.

Don't give a shit about MPG. And a well maintained 3.7 would have no prob with hitting 300k, heck there's someone on here with one that has 250k. Don't see many CRD owners posting up miles like that.

With that, peace out.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie seems to remember a certain Dutchman that came here and enjoyed the hell out of Tony Pacos and Steak 'n' Shake

Hey, a man's gotta have a break from the damned Tapas once in a while. Besides, he was slumming it.... I'm sure.

I'll bet when he got back to Barthelona he sat in the cafes, drinking coffee from teeny little cups while making fun of all things American.

Midgear

Reaction score
That's sort of like saying that you don't have any problems, except the ones you do have.

lol that was sarcasm.. the only reason it smokes is when I add too much oil. but it DOES consume oil, and yes it does get hideous gas mileage-

the "no problems" part was more directed at the fact that I can fire it up and drive it around till it runs out of gas (or oil) and it doesn't give me any issues.. wasn't trying to say I literally have zero issues, pardon mwah. re-phrased that post.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol that was sarcasm.. the only reason it smokes is when I add too much oil. but it DOES consume oil, and yes it does get hideous gas mileage-

the "no problems" part was more directed at the fact that I can fire it up and drive it around till it runs out of gas (or oil) and it doesn't give me any issues.. wasn't trying to say I literally have zero issues, pardon mwah.

You are pardoned, my son.

But... what's with the 10mpg? Just the hard driving?

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, a man's gotta have a break from the damned Tapas once in a while. Besides, he was slumming it.... I'm sure.

I'll bet when he got back to Barthelona he sat in the cafes, drinking coffee from teeny little cups while making fun of all things American.

Don't forget all this is happening whilst wearing those half pants, half shorts, capri looking abominations; most likely in chartruse or eggplant. :D

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all...(popcorn)
What about your loved 3.7. It's a 4.7 Chrysler minus 2 cylinders. And it still is an engine design dating 1958....
The OM416 used in the older Sprinters is a good engine. It's just that WOP lump that's in the CRD KJs that's useless.

Yeah, the engine dates back to 1958 because it hasn't NEEDED to be updated to something more modern.

The 4.7 was a clean sheet design, it doesn't share anything with the engine it replaced.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had a CRD Jeep, but I would like too.
I think without the US bull **** put into the 2.8 to meet emission standards it wouldn't have some of the problems most people see, and with the torque and longitivity of them and there ability to alter and produce more power makes them nice.
Every Jeep has its problems, the 3.7 and the 2.8 CRD both have issues although more to a 2.8 but that could be the government emission issues also, I have a 3.7 and love it besides the gas mileage but coming from two 4.0Ls I am use to it, and am use to driving a 4000LB tank, while driving like I stole it, its a Jeep not a prius
That being said the US will never make big change to diesel like that, we are just too old fashion, with the idea of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" when it comes powering our vehicles.

Yeah thats my useless opinion.

Last edited:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a company retrofitting the CRD into Wranglers.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny how these CRD vs 3.7 KJ's threads always come to mpg's.

If you wanted mpg's a Jeep should have been your last choice,plain and simple.

When browsing the CRD section on LOST there shear amount of issues stated there for 12,000 some odd vehicles sold in the US is staggering compared to how many issues you see for the some 1 million gas KJ's in the US.

I grew up with deisels,worked on deisels for 10 years,I like deisels but a deisel does not belong in anything smaller then a 3/4 pickup otherwise it's a complete waste of a engine.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I grew up with deisels,worked on deisels for 10 years,I like deisels but a deisel does not belong in anything smaller then a 3/4 pickup otherwise it's a complete waste of a engine.

Good sir! You DARE denigrate the awesomeness that was the Diesel Rabbit?

You must be registered for see images attach

What you see pictured above might just be one of the --nay-- THE finest pieces of Diesel engineering that ever swerved and belched its way onto American roads. Many a hair-scrunchied young cheerleader drove these to the high school pep rally. Many an acne-riddle young boy picked up his prom date in one of these fine babies. Weaving in and out of the lane, getting his gangsta lean on while listening to Rob Halford's Breakin' the Law, blissfully unaware that the leather clad Judas Priest front man's biker outfit was really an expression of his true ****** identity! These are innocent times that we'll never be able to get back!

We're a finer nation due to those vehicles. And despite what you may say about them, they are in fact, fit to sleep with the pigs!

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^rofl2.gif.........

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What you see pictured above might just be one of the --nay-- THE finest pieces of Diesel engineering that ever swerved and belched its way onto American roads. Many a hair-scrunchied young cheerleader drove these to the high school pep rally. Many an acne-riddle young boy picked up his prom date in one of these fine babies. Weaving in and out of the lane, getting his gangsta lean on while listening to Rob Halford's Breakin' the Law, blissfully unaware that the leather clad Judas Priest front man's biker outfit was really an expression of his true ****** identity! These are innocent times that we'll never be able to get back!

We're a finer nation due to those vehicles. And despite what you may say about them, they are in fact, fit to sleep with the pigs!
One of my dad's buddies has one of those,well actually drives one and has about 23 others for parts as it is breaking down about 3-4 times a day.He's a repo man so he get's them for free or next to nothing.

Midgear

Reaction score
You are pardoned, my son.

But... what's with the 10mpg? Just the hard driving?

hell if I know.. I rarely get above 4k unless I really need to pick up the pace when theres incoming traffic from behind.. I can empty my tank in less than 200 miles if I drove it aggresively, I bet i could empty it in less than 150 if i drove it like i stole it-

It's funny how these CRD vs 3.7 KJ's threads always come to mpg's.

If you wanted mpg's a Jeep should have been your last choice,plain and simple.

When browsing the CRD section on LOST there shear amount of issues stated there for 12,000 some odd vehicles sold in the US is staggering compared to how many issues you see for the some 1 million gas KJ's in the US.

I agree with this post here, not because a guru posted it, not because it's in favor of the 3.7, but because of the shear facts explained therein.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
America is so terrible yet gas Jeeps are imported. If the CRD was so fantastical and wonderous, it would've caught on in greater numbers and had problems in lesser numbers.

Last edited:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Only one thing positive I can say about one of these (they put PICKUP beds behind them for chrissakes!). The diesel Rabbit WILL run on McD's french fry oil. They actually got one on to 'Ripley's Believe it or Not' (just dated myself there...) years back to show it. Gotta make you hungry driving around though...

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not ever driven a 3.7L Liberty and not sure I care to at this point. I have not had any issue with my CRD more than maintance things and a minor computer glitch that could have happened to a gasser and had nothing to do with the engine at all. the dealer fixed that no charge too.

That being said I like my CRD. I have gotten up to 29MPG on a long trip and I was not driving like a grannie either. to me that is excelent for a 4000 pound SUV with 4 wheel drive. every one that has asked me about it and I have told this agrees too. sure its makes more sound at idle but you don't hear it much once under way. it may not be as fast off the line as the 3.7 due to less HP but it has way more torque than the 3.7. the advantage is in towing and climbing grades, my Jeep don't wimp out on a hill by loosing speed like spark ignition cars do. Passing for me is easy just give it a bit more fuel and the turbo spools up more and I'm gone.

last thing Diesel is not dirty anymore the truth is a diesel will use about 30% less fuel or better. my logic tells me that using less is a good thing and would polute less. if we used less we could import less and be more independant of those we buy oil from that hate us and want to kill us because we are infidels.

watch this ad. I like how it shows the point I would like to make

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBKDLJUevrY

Reaction score
I have not ever driven a 3.7L Liberty and not sure I care to at this point. I have not had any issue with my CRD more than maintance things and a minor computer glitch that could have happened to a gasser and had nothing to do with the engine at all. the dealer fixed that no charge too.

That being said I like my CRD. I have gotten up to 29MPG on a long trip and I was not driving like a grannie either. to me that is excelent for a 4000 pound SUV with 4 wheel drive. every one that has asked me about it and I have told this agrees too. sure its makes more sound at idle but you don't hear it much once under way. it may not be as fast off the line as the 3.7 due to less HP but it has way more torque than the 3.7. the advantage is in towing and climbing grades, my Jeep don't wimp out on a hill by loosing speed like spark ignition cars do. Passing for me is easy just give it a bit more fuel and the turbo spools up more and I'm gone.

last thing Diesel is not dirty anymore the truth is a diesel will use about 30% less fuel or better. my logic tells me that using less is a good thing and would polute less. if we used less we could import less and be more independant of those we buy oil from that hate us and want to kill us because we are infidels.

watch this ad. I like how it shows the point I would like to make

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBKDLJUevrY

my minivan engine vs your crd. see which one is least expensive to own over 3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.