3.7 > crd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread would be great if people weren't so defensive. There have been valid points for both.

It would be great to have a specific topic or point and then have one or two people from each side debate it in a civilized manner.

I think I've been listening to too much npr :p

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
One thing that we can all agree on is that any engine KJ is good. :D

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a dumb thread. Gassers are gassers and diesels area diesels. Ive gotten 748 miles on a tank before. That will never happen with a gasser. I bought my truck for torque (330 ft pounds dyno'd) and mileage. I can make my own fuel in my garage for less than 1.00$ a gallon. Tell me a gasser guy who can do that!(welcome)

Making your own gas is definitely a positive feature for the CRD.
And 748 miles to a tank, when I average 300, but mostly city driving, and if I'm lucky 350 with highway in there.
There is a lot of defensive 3.7ers here and not enough CRDs to back themselves up..
I want to drive/own a CRD for a year before I could say anything about them, and I bet I would love it after the EGR issue is accounted for, except for the fact the 2 nearest stations don't have diesel...

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel VS Gas....

Well here is my take on it, and has nothing to do with Jeep, just the two fuels in general. I'm a farm boy, born and raised, have only been a small town boy since i got married. I have had my share of Diesel and Gas experience for the past 20+ years.

Diesel... More fuel efficient, more torque, usually last longer, have their problems as same as ANY engine does. From my experience the main CONS are, starting in Winter, many winters of plugging in the tractors, putting a nipco heater on them, and copious amounts of ether to crank up in the morning. Well below zero temps makes it rough. I have changed fuel filters on both diesel trucks and tractors in the middle of the road at -20 to -30 air temps and have the frost biten fingers to prove it, they still hurt every year when its cold. Diesel soaked through the gloves and i got frost bite, no running engine and no place to warm up i had no choice but to finish the repair. I said USUALLY last longer on the internals, mainly because its so overbuilt to withstand the extreme heat and pressure that a diesel engine sees compared to a gas. But we have blown up and siezed a few diesels with moderate use as well, so failures happen. Fuel consumption is less but the fuel costs more, so even if i get twice the mileage i still spend the same on fuel. So don't even argue that bull. Right now it costs me $2.75 for a gallon of gas here in town, diesel costs me $3.24, $.74 a gallon more. I can get biodiesel if i want, but i would only run that in the summer hearing the horror stories of winter use around here. The one station even puts a warning on the pump in the winter about preventing frozen fuel lines. Around here diesel availability is good, farm country, but i know some towns that don't have a single diesel pump other than a co-op that requires an account or membership. So you have to worry about that as well, especially in some cities where there might be only one or two stations along the interstate or major highway that have diesel to satisfy trucking needs.

Gas... Use more fuel per mile compared to a diesel, but general reliability is just as good, all engines have parts that break or wear out. I have only been stranded by minor problems myself, a belt, a hose, small things when driving gassers all my life. They last much longer then they used to, every vehicle i have upgraded from lasted 200k or more before i got rid of it. The minivan i replaced with the KJ was at 200k when i sold it, and the next owner got another 40k out of it before it blew a rod, 240k isn't bad for a 3.4l V6 in a minivan. And it would have got more had the new owner not been a cheapskate about oil changes and service. The minivan that minivan replaced was at 230k when i sold it, still running strong to almost 300k before the next guy blew it up, around here a used vehicle even with 200k plus sells easy for a farm beater or for kids to learn how to drive so its an easy sell, if it runs its worth money. I can walk into any auto parts store around here and get what i need, diesel parts are a so-so thing in small communities other than for diesel trucks and tractors, the CRD would probably have to sit for a dealer to order a part because they are so uncommon. I know of ONE KJ in this part of the state thats a CRD. The dealership actually had two of them, one sold, the other was put on a trailer and hauled off to a "better market" according to the dealer. I honestly thought the CRD would do damn good around here, most farmers are running diesel trucks, have a diesel barrel on the farm, and why not get the wife a diesel SUV right?? Think it would make sense but they didn't sell.

So overall... Whatever... You go your way, i go mine...

It's a Jeep after all, i don't care what you got under the hood man!

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We have the best pizza in the world. Spain isn't known for that, IIRC. :p

Diesel fuel here is worse due to emissions, must be formulated differently. That might explain price, but I can't say it does.

Diesels aren't sold in 5 states here. (CA, some NE states I think, same states that are non Flex Fuel.)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno where to start. You are a bunch of ingnorant no nothings.

What do you think get's shipped out of the Toledo JEEP plant as Export?

KK 2.8 CRD...JK 2.8 CRD / JK unlimited 2.8CRD. I know, I've been there.

Again, the CRD has NO problems overseas. Welcome to America, we have the worst diesel fuel in the world. Be proud of that.....gosh...

Can someone please explain me why diesel is more expensive then gas and why it is so bad?
You can thank GM for that with there gas to diesel converted engines.Those left such a sour taste in the US consumers mouth that small diesels will never be popular here and California is making sure that stay's that way.Plus it would cost 100's of billions of $$$ to main stream and support(make fuel accessable) small diesels in the US.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What diesel isn't sold in california that is sold in other states? Passing by dealerships and taking to people I see plenty of diesel cars and trucks being bought here in california.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What diesel isn't sold in california that is sold in other states? Passing by dealerships and taking to people I see plenty of diesel cars and trucks being bought here in california.
The KJ CRD was one,not one brand new CRD was ever sold in the state of California.You must have more then 7500 miles on a CRD before you can even register it in the state of California,same goes for some other states as well.

OneOneNiner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to congradulate Thunderbirdjunkie for being appointed Vice President of D.A.D.E. Dumb Americans w/h Diesel Envy.

TJKJ2002,you couldn't have chosen a better man for the job.

:D

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say's alot when the PT Loser uses the same engine.

**** YOU...

Nothing wrong with the PT Cruiser. We have a 2002 5 Spd, best car the wife has ever owned. Low maintenance, no problems, zero trouble. And we bought it used.

I don't get why people don't like the PT? You give me another car that gets 25+ MPG and can haul three kids and groceries and i will take it, till then whatever.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno where to start. You are a bunch of ingnorant no nothings.

What do you think get's shipped out of the Toledo JEEP plant as Export?

KK 2.8 CRD...JK 2.8 CRD / JK unlimited 2.8CRD. I know, I've been there.

Again, the CRD has NO problems overseas. Welcome to America, we have the worst diesel fuel in the world. Be proud of that.....gosh...

Can someone please explain me why diesel is more expensive then gas and why it is so bad?

Unfortunately its due to the government bull we have to put up with. All the additives and emission restrictions. Over there you guys make diesel from crude and burn it, no worries. Over here we have to deal with emissions laws.

And the fuel taxes...

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn lots of hostility here...
I think the only way people should actually pick one or the other is if they owned a CRD and 3.7 then can actually compare the two with facts..
I want a CRD, and if I could an export CRD since they don't have the issues that the US CRDs have due to our countries F-ed up emission standards.
Atleast where I live we have "emission checks"
They consist of going to a place every other year paying money to run your car and see how your emissions are. If you fail you can't get a license sticker unless you come back and pass, or if you spend $300 and come back with your receipt to repair your emissions or engine.
I see plenty of cars going in failing, with fake receipts or paying for something that does not fix the issue failing again, but still "passing" since they attempted to fix the problem.
Or if your car is 20 years or older then you don't even need to test.

I also see nothing wrong with the 2.4 or the PT.
Now I would say the 2.4 would be underpowering the KJ but the engine itself is not a bad engine.
My dads got a 04 sebring with the 2.4 with 120k and has owned it as his work car since 30k and not once has had an issue with it.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ CRD was one,not one brand new CRD was ever sold in the state of California.You must have more then 7500 miles on a CRD before you can even register it in the state of California,same goes for some other states as well.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn lots of hostility here...
I think the only way people should actually pick one or the other is if they owned a CRD and 3.7 then can actually compare the two with facts..
I want a CRD, and if I could an export CRD since they don't have the issues that the US CRDs have due to our countries F-ed up emission standards.
Atleast where I live we have "emission checks"
They consist of going to a place every other year paying money to run your car and see how your emissions are. If you fail you can't get a license sticker unless you come back and pass, or if you spend $300 and come back with your receipt to repair your emissions or engine.
I see plenty of cars going in failing, with fake receipts or paying for something that does not fix the issue failing again, but still "passing" since they attempted to fix the problem.
Or if your car is 20 years or older then you don't even need to test.

I also see nothing wrong with the 2.4 or the PT.
Now I would say the 2.4 would be underpowering the KJ but the engine itself is not a bad engine.
My dads got a 04 sebring with the 2.4 with 120k and has owned it as his work car since 30k and not once has had an issue with it.

you know its funny , Back when i first started driving in Ohio ! When they started the whole echeck thing there was a way to cheat it and i did it once with a detached muffler Lol used to go on Friday right before they where closing and there carbon tanks where so full it was in accurate ! And car`s just passed , I knew 100% that mine would not . It didnt even have a gas cap . But it passed ! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.