3.7 > crd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
30% less fuel with a 20% increase in cost, and 30% higher maintenance costs kind of cancel themselves out.

Just sayin

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30% less fuel with a 20% increase in cost, and 30% higher maintenance costs kind of cancel themselves out.

Just sayin

how do you figure higher maintance cost? I change my own oil and it don't cost me any more than it would for a gasser to use the same quality oils other than mine may take a quart more of it. I can go 6500 miles on one oil change and that is the severe service schedule, for gas its 3000 miles. I spend the same $$$ on one oil change as a gas on two changes and I can go as long as a gasser can on 2 cheap oil changes. So I spend less time changing it too.
yes we have timing belts not chains, chains can and do break just not as often. Most recent smaller engines use timing belts. from what I have seen the 3.7 has a weaker valve train that is prone to failure too.

fuel is only more due to the oil companies messing with us. diesel is less refined and should cost less to make but in the US they say demand is high cus they keep the supply and demand as it is. Diesel also has more BTU per Gallon so you are gettin more energy for you money.

Last edited:

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my minivan engine vs your crd. see which one is least expensive to own over 3 years

how about I chalange you to tow a 5000 pound trailer. That mini van gasser wrangler won't do it. I'd win you would damage your trans or engine trying it.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie changes his own oil too.

How much is Rotella+Bosch filter every 5k miles?

For ThunderbirdJunkie, 5k miles=Mobil 1+Bosch filter=$30

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my 2 door tiny jk yea i might have an issue.

yeah thats what I thought..... many have towed heavier loads than 5000# with the CRD and one guy on LOST still got 19MPG towing over 5000 pounds!
So towing is one thing the CRD is better for than a Gasser:D

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
how do you figure higher maintance cost? I change my own oil and it don't cost me any more than it would for a gasser to use the same quality oils other than mine may take a quart more of it. I can go 6500 miles on one oil change and that is the severe service schedule, for gas its 3000 miles. I spend the same $$$ on one oil change as a gas on two changes and I can go as long as a gasser can on 2 cheap oil changes. So I spend less time changing it too.
yes we have timing belts not chains, chains can and do break just not as often. Most recent smaller engines use timing belts. from what I have seen the 3.7 has a weaker valve train that is prone to failure too.

fuel is only more due to the oil companies messing with us. diesel is less refined and should cost less to make but in the US they say demand is high cus they keep the supply and demand as it is. Diesel also has more BTU per Gallon so you are gettin more energy for you money.

You're comparing your CRD long wheelbase KJ to a short wheelbase JK.

You automatically win.

the JK doesn't have much longer of a wheelbase than ThunderbirdJunkie's CJ7 did, and despite having a 315 hp 304 ci V8 and a 727 auto trans and a Dana 300 with 4.10 gears in both ends, ThunderbirdJunkie would have NEVER EVER EVER IN A ZILLION YEARS tried to tow a 1966 Buick Special behind that CJ7 like he did in his dad's TWO DOOR short wheelbase Explorer.

The wheelbase is the limiting factor in this comparison; NOT the drivetrain. A 3.8 liter minivan has a higher towing capacity than the JK for that reason.

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie changes his own oil too.

How much is Rotella+Bosch filter every 5k miles?

For ThunderbirdJunkie, 5k miles=Mobil 1+Bosch filter=$30

Rotella is $19.00 a gallon at wally world so thats $4.75 a quart x 6.4 quarts =$30.40 I use Napa Gold filters that cost me $6.59 with my AAA discount so total of $36.99 per 6,500 miles. ok so I spend $7 more but I can get 1500 miles more out of it. really thats very close to what you are spending. also remember the CRD takes more oil than the 3.7

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
So glad I did not get a CRD,have put 1 coil on mine,some oil changes&air filter.Have 196k miles on it,flog ricers,oil burners daily. Do not give a hoot in hell about global warming,whales,or goose stepping spainish ****'s.

Reaction score
yeah thats what I thought..... many have towed heavier loads than 5000# with the CRD and one guy on LOST still got 19MPG towing over 5000 pounds!
So towing is one thing the CRD is better for than a Gasser:D

yea. i enjoy my huge aftermarket. i didnt get the jk for towing. or passengers.

i also enjoy no problems.
the crd is junk. thats the issue. sure you might be able to tow, while it works

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So glad I did not get a CRD,have put 1 coil on mine,some oil changes&air filter.Have 196k miles on it,flog ricers,oil burners daily. Do not give a hoot in hell about global warming,whales,or goose stepping spainish ****'s.

My sides hurt from laughing so damn hard. You sir have a way with words. Thanks for the new sig material. :cool:

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea. i enjoy my huge aftermarket. i didnt get the jk for towing. or passengers.

i also enjoy no problems.
the crd is junk. thats the issue. sure you might be able to tow, while it works

My CRD is not junk! I have had no big problems with it so far and it has never broken down on me. it is my daily driver and only vehicle. Its starts for me every day in all weather and carries my Fat A$$ every day where I need to go in comfort.

I got my CRD because I wanted a vehicle that had 4 wheel drive, was small, easy to handle and park, was commortable to drive, got decent MPG and could tow becasue I planned on buying a camper in the near future. The CRD was the best fit for my current and future needs.

There are just as many or more posts on forums about gasser Jeep problems as the CRD the only difference is there are fewer CRD's and for some less experienced mechanics to work on them in the states. If more of the folks in this thread were in europe where diesel is in 50% or more of the cars we would not still be discussing this.

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
My CRD is not junk! I have had no big problems with it so far and it has never broken down on me. it is my daily driver and only vehicle. Its starts for me every day in all weather and carries my Fat A$$ every day where I need to go in comfort.

I got my CRD because I wanted a vehicle that had 4 wheel drive, was small, easy to handle and park, was commortable to drive, got decent MPG and could tow becasue I planned on buying a camper in the near future. The CRD was the best fit for my current and future needs.

There are just as many or more posts on forums about gasser Jeep problems as the CRD the only difference is there are fewer CRD's and for some less experienced mechanics to work on them in the states. If more of the folks in this thread were in europe where diesel is in 50% or more of the cars we would not still be discussing this.

Hope you carry extra intercooler hoses,fuel filters,and mount,a wood screw for the EGR valve. Been fooling with diesel for 40 years,gas is way easier to make rock.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
For the N American market,the CRD was a dirty little bugger that only accounts for 1% of KJ sales, so it really is a moot point to put this much effort into a discussion about an engine, even if Mikey1273 DOES have the only one that has never needed a repair or upgrade....;)

I am a diesel fan, having put 180,000 miles on a CTD. The CRD is no CTD. IN AMERICA, it made very little sense and can't even pass '07 emissions standards, let alone the '10.5's.

Ummm...my dodge MINIVAN has 255 hp AND 265 #'s of torque..... A metric shit ton more HP and the same torque as a CRD without the pollution, noise, or break down potential of the CRD. Just sayin'.... When VW needed a minivan, the bought a Chryser to rebadge.

I see 100 mph plus regularly in my lifted, big tired gasser and Garmin shows a top speed of 111. I drive hard and get still get 18 mpg in city driving and can pull 23, 24 on the highway. I have pulled around 5,000 #'s on a trailer more than once. No issues.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
for someone who drives a gasser you sure are pro CRapD

Just because I drive a gas engined vehicle doesn't mean I hate the KJ CRD. Now uh.... WK CRD, yes I hate it. Why? It's a diesel guzzler. And there's no reason for it besides Daimler dumbing down the engine for Jeep so their ML could look better. Yes the ML has a 7 speed automatic, but that shouldn't account for several, several extra MPGs.

I loved my KJ CRD. I still do despite how much of a PITA it was. I'd still have it if the dealership didn't (censored) it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online