265/75/16's on Moabs!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Test fitted my buddies Moab wheels with some 265/75/16's on the jeep to see if the gearing issue was as bad as many seem to preach. I've got first hand knowledge that I have absolutely no issues what-so-ever. I've driven a week on them, around town, highway (my daily work commute) and almost no gas milage loss, no overdrive issues, no "searching for the right gear". MAYBE 1-2MPG. It's slow, but hell-- it's a jeep, you want pep, buy a miata. Anywho, onto the pics!

You must be registered for see images attach

Highway RPM's--- no bogging, nothing.

edit: ahhh crap, put this in KK, not KJ.

Last edited:

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What lift are you running? Also try driving over a mountain pass like here in Colorado and I bet you change your mind about the gearing. Im running 245/75 and going over some of the passes here I already wish I had 4.10's

Last edited:

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME kit w/ 3 clevis spacers, 1xtra upper iso in rear.

Ninja edit: Also, there is some work to get those tires to fit, that I will not dispute. Nothing a mini sledge and a grinder can't fix, also-- not saying I won't regear in the future, or disagreeing with the benefits of regearing. Just stating its not nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Test fitted my buddies Moab wheels with some 265/75/16's on the jeep to see if the gearing issue was as bad as many seem to preach. I've got first hand knowledge that I have absolutely no issues what-so-ever. I've driven a week on them, around town, highway (my daily work commute) and almost no gas milage loss, no overdrive issues, no "searching for the right gear". MAYBE 1-2MPG. It's slow, but hell-- it's a jeep, you want pep, buy a miata.

That's what the gearing helps to correct. ;)

Glad you like them - I like mine.

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what the gearing helps to correct. ;)

Glad you like them - I like mine.

I guess what my thought is, it was dogp1ss slow to begin with, I don't see a difference. I feel the biggest limiting factor for the liberty is tire size. Everytime someone wants to upgrade to big tires, everyone on the site screams no! My advice-- get a spare set for the trails. Save the 2grand in regearing (including labor), and be a badass on the trails.

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much trimming did you have to do?

As of now just the pinch welds. To be able to wheel with those size tires it is going to take pounding of the wheel wells and trimming of front bumper. I will be doing a write up this weekend when I have a day off to finish it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
:drink_nl:

Common sense comes into play here
Motors/transmissions are set up to run at a certain RPM ( sweet spot ) to deliver the best mileage and power . So taking one that has a 29 inch tall tire with 3.73 gearing stock and then run a 32 inch tall tire is going to change it a lot. It is not only taking away power/mileage but also harder on the transmission and the engine will run hotter. Now maybe running around C-bus you may not notice too much but if you take it for any extended road time you'll notice a huge difference. The motor will in fact lug down with the taller tire.

Last edited:

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What lift are you running? Also try driving over a mountain pass like here in Colorado and I bet you change your mind about the gearing. Im running 245/75 and going over some of the passes here I already wish I had 4.10's

Is the KK geared differently then the Kj? I am asking cause y'all keep saying you need 4.10's and your running 245/75/16's or similar and I have
245/75/16's on my stock 2012 KK and I have not had any issues rpm's nor acceleration. I also still have a few inches left in the wheel well

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also noticed at sea level (where I live) my kj has plenty of power. But when we went to Tennessee and Kentucky my KJ seemed to be sluggish. Maybe someone might chime in about gearing/power/altitude. ....

Did some research.
NW ohio (findlay oh) has a average elevation of 750 ft.
Dyserburg Tn 290 ft
Louiseville ky 460 ft
Liberty texas. 17 ft gps confirmed. Flood zone confirmed.

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The big thing is, getting the tires to fit. My plan, since I don't have any money to re-gear, is to buy a second set of wheels and tires, and rock those when wheeling. You can find sets of tires for real cheap, and you can find wheels for dirt cheap as well.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The big thing is, getting the tires to fit. My plan, since I don't have any money to re-gear, is to buy a second set of wheels and tires, and rock those when wheeling. You can find sets of tires for real cheap, and you can find wheels for dirt cheap as well.

So what are you planning on running daily and for wheeling?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
How long did you run stock Wulf? Maybe that's why you don't notice? Wait till you lift it .. I can feel it every day... but I don't expect much from a brick on wheels :D

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what are you planning on running daily and for wheeling?

Right now, when I go wheeling I used the stock Renegade wheels and my grabber AT2's.

When the time comes (cash) I will purchase a set of used Cragar Soft-8's (can find those for dirt cheap) and then find a set of used, but good condition MTR's in 32x10.50's or 265/75/'s . What our jeep's need is diff clearance. I gain ONE INCH over my 245-70's of rear Diff clearance. So, honestly, it doesn't really matter tire I choose, as long as it has aggressive tread in good condition for cheap.

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long did you run stock Wulf? Maybe that's why you don't notice? Wait till you lift it .. I can feel it every day... but I don't expect much from a brick on wheels :D

I am still at stock hieght I am planning on ordering the Mudd Eco lift on the
15th and was thinking of going to 32's

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
You'll notice it.

I went to 4.10's a long while before I went to 32's. I got so used to what the 31's/4.10's felt like together, that when I finally got the 32's... now it feels all slow again. :pp: It's okay though - I still dig it.