Implications of MOAB's on a Stock KJ (and Lift Kits of course)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OxLibertySport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm probably about to ask questions/advice on a topic that's been asked hundreds of times; but, I've read so much - across three forums - that, I'm about as confused as before I started.

Background - I've managed to pick myself up a '04 Liberty Sport (Gas, 4x4, 3.73's) at a Salvage Auction. It was a theft recovery, and only had 55k miles on it - the thief busted a vent glass window, buggered up the ignition & door lock, and added a few extra cosmetic blemishes. Other than that, it's a typical '04 with worn ball joints, leaky power steering hoses, & failing window regulators.

Plans for it are simple ... mostly it'll serve as a secondary vehicle w/ the occasional trail ride. No serious off-roading, but I like the off-roading stance.

I've fixed most of the issues related to the theft; and. I'm preparing for suspension upgrades - I've also picked up a set of '04 MOAB's off a Rubicon. The more I read on these, the more it seems mods are needed that are not really in the scope of work that I'd like to do. I'm willing to put a decent 3" lift on, even knowing that it won't make use of it - but, I'm not really looking to re-gear, pound pinch welds, & cut fender liners.

So, let the questions begin:
- What 3-inch "kit" is recommended? I see many posts, but the content is getting dated, broken links, etc.
- Keep the MOAB's? Or go back to stock to avoid what I mentioned I didn't want to do?
- I see that 265/70 R16's are the largest tire size "supposedly" not to rub w/ a 3-inch lift. Is that factual with real world experiences on MOAB's? 

I apologize for the redundant questions that I'm sure folks are getting tired of answering.

For giggles, here's a pic of the Lib in its "yard" state ...
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm probably about to ask questions/advice on a topic that's been asked hundreds of times; but, I've read so much - across three forums - that, I'm about as confused as before I started.

Background - I've managed to pick myself up a '04 Liberty Sport (Gas, 4x4, 3.73's) at a Salvage Auction. It was a theft recovery, and only had 55k miles on it - the thief busted a vent glass window, buggered up the ignition & door lock, and added a few extra cosmetic blemishes. Other than that, it's a typical '04 with worn ball joints, leaky power steering hoses, & failing window regulators.

Plans for it are simple ... mostly it'll serve as a secondary vehicle w/ the occasional trail ride. No serious off-roading, but I like the off-roading stance.

I've fixed most of the issues related to the theft; and. I'm preparing for suspension upgrades - I've also picked up a set of '04 MOAB's off a Rubicon. The more I read on these, the more it seems mods are needed that are not really in the scope of work that I'd like to do. I'm willing to put a decent 3" lift on, even knowing that it won't make use of it - but, I'm not really looking to re-gear, pound pinch welds, & cut fender liners.

So, let the questions begin:
- What 3-inch "kit" is recommended? I see many posts, but the content is getting dated, broken links, etc.
OME 927/948 spring combo and bilstein shocks is cheapest, gives 2.5 inches of lift and can easily go 3 inches with top plate in front and one extra upper iso in the rear= 3 inches ( plus bumpstops etc )
- Keep the MOAB's? Or go back to stock to avoid what I mentioned I didn't want to do?
Lifted you can run MOABs with the 265-70-16s
- I see that 265/70 R16's are the largest tire size "supposedly" not to rub w/ a 3-inch lift.
Is that factual with real world experiences on MOAB's? 
LOL YES this is factual, I also ran MOABs / 265-75-16s on my 04 with over 4.5 inches of lift , 4.10s etc, and on the 03 pictured below. You mean you don't believe what you read on here ? LOL At least you are here and not Fakebook asking questions.
I apologize for the redundant questions that I'm sure folks are getting tired of answering.
Yes we do but its all in good fun
For giggles, here's a pic of the Lib in its "yard" state ...
There is a start
Now if you want a really really great ride jeepinbyal has the adjustable coilover kits as well
Below is my 03 with Moabs, 265-70-16 on Moabs and 2.5 inches of lift, 4.10s due to I like more power and gas mileage ( Lift is the JBA Total Control, all 4 shocks adjustable as far as compression and rebound plus fronts adjustable height wise )
Also I pounded over the pinch welds but do that to 98.892 % of the lifts we do here, easy to do I have pictures of how to properly do it as well

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Plus this remark.........?????
"Other than that, it's a typical '04 with worn ball joints, leaky power steering hoses, & failing window regulators."
Not typical maybe balljoints but none of the other stuff , replaced the 04s at 90,000 miles and they're still on there at way over 221,000 miles
Drove my 04 for 12 years ( bought it new ) with none of those issues.
generally the window regulators were later models

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
265/70/16s should be just fine with a 3" lift. You might get a little bit of rubbing at full lock...but nothing a little heat gunning can't solve. I run 265/70s in a D range tire and I lost quite a bit of mileage (from 22/23 max to 17/18). If you mind that loss in MPG...I would highly suggest running a P-rated tire. It will give you slightly better gas mileage than an LT tire due to less weight.

OxLibertySport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I pounded over the pinch welds but do that to 98.892 % of the lifts we do here, easy to do I have pictures of how to properly do it as well

But, the pinch weld mod is avoidable - even with the MOAB's - as long as I lift up at-least 3". Right? I read somewhere that over 3" could/will damage the CV's ...

Also, your flares are spot on - what'd ya do there? Mine are faded & even flaking (plastic flaking?).

Plus this remark.........?????
"Other than that, it's a typical '04 with worn ball joints, leaky power steering hoses, & failing window regulators."
Not typical maybe balljoints but none of the other stuff , replaced the 04s at 90,000 miles and they're still on there at way over 221,000 miles
Drove my 04 for 12 years ( bought it new ) with none of those issues.
generally the window regulators were later models

My ball joint boots, upper & lower - both sides, are busted. I blamed it on age. I've had to replace the passenger front regulator - had a fuzzy snake sticking out of the door panel. In research, it seemed pretty common? I was generalizing with the rest.

Last edited:

OxLibertySport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
265/70/16s should be just fine with a 3" lift. You might get a little bit of rubbing at full lock...but nothing a little heat gunning can't solve. I run 265/70s in a D range tire and I lost quite a bit of mileage (from 22/23 max to 17/18). If you mind that loss in MPG...I would highly suggest running a P-rated tire. It will give you slightly better gas mileage than an LT tire due to less weight.

Thanks for that, I'm willing to go down a tire size to avoid the rubbing. With the wider MOAB's, I was worried I made a mistake vs. just getting a set of aluminum Liberty rims.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
But, the pinch weld mod is avoidable - even with the MOAB's - as long as I lift up at-least 3".
All depends on tires, what tread design and what size , but the pinch weld is very easy to do.

Right? I read somewhere that over 3" could/will damage the CV's ...
I've ran my 04 for over 100,000 miles at 4 inches ( and above ) Just have to build it right from the get go. Also you would need the jeepinbyal UCAs over 3.25 or so
Also, your flares are spot on - what'd ya do there? Mine are faded & even flaking (plastic flaking?).
Painted them

My ball joint boots, upper & lower - both sides, are busted. I blamed it on age. I've had to replace the passenger front regulator - had a fuzzy snake sticking out of the door panel. In research, it seemed pretty common? I was generalizing with the rest.

reason for my questioning that remark is I've been on the forums for over 12 years, Moderaotr on here and LOSTJEEPs ( another one of the first KJ forums) so heard a lot, read a lot and lifted over 35 of them
Have to remember that if people don't have issues you rarely hear from them, only the ones complaining post usually.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I'm willing to go down a tire size to avoid the rubbing. With the wider MOAB's, I was worried I made a mistake vs. just getting a set of aluminum Liberty rims.

255-70-16s would be the other size you could run, 1/2 inch smaller in height than the 265-70-16s, 30 inches -vs- 30.7

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Tom stated, 255/70 are about the smallest you SHOULD fit on these rims. Since they're 8 inches wide...best to run a wider tire with it. 255/70, 265/70, and 265/75 work well on the well. 245/75 will work...but will leave you with minimal sidewall to protect the rims. Also a greater chance of breaking the bead (causing a flat).

As for pounding the pinch weld...you probably won't get away with not doing it. I was surprised when I went up to 4" and I still had to pound it out. It's the extra width of the wheel that does it.

forcefed44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on 255/70s on the Moabs on a bone stock '02 Renegade with worn rear springs.. The front rubs the liner and right through to pinch weld. I'll take care of that when I install my 2" lift.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm on 255/70s on the Moabs on a bone stock '02 Renegade with worn rear springs.. The front rubs the liner and right through to pinch weld. I'll take care of that when I install my 2" lift.

2 inch lift ?
What are you installing?
Just don't say spacer lift ha ha

But worn out springs and shocks, need to stay a lot smaller, not good on tires, etc

OxLibertySport

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So, after the lift, your clear the liner, etc. with the 255/70's easily?

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a start
Now if you want a really really great ride jeepinbyal has the adjustable coilover kits as well
Below is my 03 with Moabs, 265-70-16 on Moabs and 2.5 inches of lift, 4.10s due to I like more power and gas mileage ( Lift is the JBA Total Control, all 4 shocks adjustable as far as compression and rebound plus fronts adjustable height wise )

Can you pm me those pictures? Getting ready to move up to a 265/75 on my Teflon coated moabs and want to go ahead and do the pinch mod

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online