2006 Jeep liberty shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SharkGang

Reaction score
Hey I have a 2006 limited 3.7 jeep liberty with an ome/bilstein 3 inch lift and 245/70r17 (30.5) tires and I have heard about pinion index reset to fix shifting issues (I drive in a hilly area most of the time with over drive off otherwise the transmission hunts for gears) but I also heard the 2006 doesn't have a pinion reset for tires so would 4.10 gears be the only way to help with my shifting? I also have a Hypertech tuner that can change rev limiter between +500 and -500 but don't know if that will help with anything.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get relearns done at the dealer (need their computer) but I have heard anecdotally that it doesnt make much of a difference.

How long have you had the tires on there?
Mine acted weird after I put larger tires on on, but after a couple hundred miles either I got used to it (and changed my driving to make it not a problem) or it adjusted itself out of hunting for gears as much.

4.10's would be the best way to get your MPG and power back, which are the biggest issues I notice with a taller tire. But that is no small investment in time or parts (I swear the pinion and ring sets get more expensive every time I look).

Last edited:

SharkGang

Reaction score
You can get relearns done at the dealer (need their computer) but I have heard anecdotally that it doesnt make much of a difference.

How long have you had the tires on there?
Mine acted weird after I put them on, but after a couple hundred miles either I got used to it (and changed my driving to make it not a problem) or it adjusted itself out of hunting for gears as much.

4.10's would be the best way to get your MPG and power back, which are the biggest issues I notice with a taller tire. But that is no small investment in time or parts (I swear the pinion and ring sets get more expensive every time I look).

I have had the tires for about 1500 miles I may try and do the relearn myself and see if that helps anything, I do want to eventually regear its just so dang expensive and Im debating on getting jba control arms or not first which would hinder process to get gears.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Look around for 4 cylinder gasser front and rear diffs,
they are 4.10s and way easy to swap
The set ( front and rear ) I have in the 03 right now I have under 350 in both
If you want new gears I just may find a set lurking around ( front and rear )

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been stalking craigslist and the picknpulls near me for the 4cylinder axels, not easy to find at all.
I've only found 9-10 sets over the years locally as well
got a call last week for another set, already have them going in a friends , so they are out there, just look harder
farthest I've driven is 25 miles for some

oh and not 4 cylinder axles, 4 cylinder diffs, there is a difference