2003 Liberty 3.7l 4x4...tow rating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archy88

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a new member here and I've come over from another forum for pop up campers. I'm looking into purchasing a pop up camper to replace my tent and I'm hoping you guys can help distinguish the important "what can I tow" real life ability.

I will be using a 2003 Liberty 3.7l 4x4 WITHOUT a factory tow package. I've installed a class III hitch at this point...

First, I'll include a picture @ the bottom from the owners manual. I've edited the photo in MS Paint to highlight some areas that I've been looking at.

One of the members on the other forum gave me the formula that... GCWR - Curb weight - other aftermarket stuff (e.g., winch) - passengers - gear = real world tow capacity.

Via my picture, I was originally ZONED in on the portion that listed "low profile trailer" which I bordered in yellow. Using that information my GCWR is 7400lbs, my curb weight(found here on Jeepkj.com) is 4000lbs and I don't really have anything aftermarket aside from hitch.
Generally it will only be the girl and I, whom weigh under 300lbs.

....7400lbs - 4000lbs - 300lbs = 3100lbs left for cargo & trailer

The popup I'm looking at is dry is around 2,450. Add in the standard options (furnace, e.g.) and regular stuff (propane tank, battery), and you'll easily be at 2,600 lbs.

Gives me room for about 500lbs of cargo. I could do it...

--------------

Now, look at the red border which depicts the GROSS trailer weight. The Rockwood 2516G(What I'm looking at buying) is around 3200lbs GVWR. That is MUCH more than 2000lbs. Sooo, wouldn't I be using the GCWR of the Jeep within the green box? My tow rating on another page IS 5000lbs...
The max gross trailer weight in the green/red intersection is 5000lbs. My assumption would be that the Jeep's GCWR with a trailer between 2000lbs and 5000lbs would end up being 10,100lbs.

HOWEVER, I would need to add a transmission cooler & a class III hitch(already installed)

If my GCWR is 10,100...minus 4000lb curb - 300lb passengeers...well I've got plenty of room for trailer and cargo.

**Also there is an area of frontal surface area, I'm not sure if a pop up will even come close to the limits there. But I certainly haven't measured yet...**

Let me know how you guys read that chart. Regardless I think I can manage to keep things around 500lbs. I'm heading to the dealership later this morning to talk numbers and then I'll make my decision over the weekend.

Thanks for your time!

You must be registered for see images attach

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you have the HD hitch (one that bolts up with 6 bolts and not 4) and the ****** cooler you can. I believe people would suggest the mechanical fan/shroud up front too. But I don't tow at all. Just passing on the information that I remember!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(welcome)

Your '03 already has a transmission cooler in front of the radiator - the lines from the ****** to the cooler are noted with the yellow arrows below. Look on the passenger side on yours and you'll see them. Ignore the other 'plumbing' - that's for the in-radiator transmission cooling that I added. (By the way, you also have a power steering cooler on the driver's side in front of the radiator.)

You must be registered for see images

The only other components you're missing to have an "official" towing package are the mechanical fan and extended shroud for the HD cooling (as dude1116 mentioned) and the 7-pin wiring harness. You can get by without the HD cooling components and depending on the actual weight of the pop-up you don't NEED the brake control the 7-pin would give you in conjunction with a controller. With all towing the problem is stopping - getting it moving and keeping it at speed aren't hard at all.

Most will tow up to 5000lbs even without these extras - the Liberty is a very capable tow vehicle. The pop-up you're talking about will be just fine with your Jeep as it is now - though if you want to upgrade things a bit the only piece I'd suggest is the factory 7-pin harness. You can pull power from the Jeep to run accessories in the camper temporarily if you want and you can also add brakes later on if you upgrade your camper. And the frontal area of your camper isn't big enough to cause concern - it would have to be greater than 8ft X 8ft (64 sq/ft) to cause wind turbulence issues. Like dude1116 said, make sure your new hitch is secured with 6 bolts into the 'frame' and not four - and they should be Grade 8 bolts too.

Hope this helps!

Bob

Archy88

Reaction score
I'm really glad that I am tech savy sometimes...or else I would never come across helpful people full of knowledge. Kudos for the replies and aiding a numb skull!

I just ran out to grab some photos of the area that you mention under the hood...Comparing your photo to mine, I'm not sure I have those two extra hoses.

Here comes more lack of knowledge.
I did some digging and came across the following thread which has a GIANT fan(WOW lol) and someone mentions a waterpump fan. Do the mechanical fan, and waterpump fan consist of the cooling system? Or will I only need the fan & shroud?

Do you have any idea how much the fan & shroud run for nowadays?

As for the 7pin connector & hitch I think I have both of those covered. The popup I am interested in has electric brakes and comes with the 7pin hookup. I need to have the jeep wired for towing(dealership wanted $400 plus brake controller...yikes!) as we only have a hitch right now.
The hitch is a class III with the 6 bolts as you mention but I am unsure of what grade they are.

Other than that...Thank you again for your help! The jeep is new in my life(using it for towing purposes) and hopefully I can learn a lot more from this forum and the members within.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See those two hoses that turn into metal hard lines? Those are your ****** cooler lines. If you look in front of the AC condenser right behind your grill, you will see a low cooler that runs the full width of the condenser. That is your ****** cooler.

This is what it looks like off the Jeep:

Archy88

Reaction score
See those two hoses that turn into metal hard lines? Those are your ****** cooler lines. If you look in front of the AC condenser right behind your grill, you will see a low cooler that runs the full width of the condenser. That is your ****** cooler.

This is what it looks like off the Jeep:

Sweet, that's awesome information. Glad to know there's one less thing for me to buy! We got some crazy rain with the remnants of the hurricane coming through but I'll check the grill area tomorrow. Really can't wait to get my hands on a trailer and log some awesome adventures with the Jeep.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found my pic of the cooler on the vehicle:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet, that's awesome information. Glad to know there's one less thing for me to buy! We got some crazy rain with the remnants of the hurricane coming through but I'll check the grill area tomorrow. Really can't wait to get my hands on a trailer and log some awesome adventures with the Jeep.
Actually that trans cooler ***** by itself since it is a stand alone cooler as it can not handle temp spikes that towing or offroading create.Those of us with KJ's and the 45RFE trans have a in-radiator trans cooler which is 100 times better then that stand alone cooler.Add a AUX cooler to the in-radiator cooler and you got the best setup.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here comes more lack of knowledge.
I did some digging and came across the following thread which has a GIANT fan(WOW lol) and someone mentions a waterpump fan. Do the mechanical fan, and waterpump fan consist of the cooling system? Or will I only need the fan & shroud?

Do you have any idea how much the fan & shroud run for nowadays?

Here's a thread that gives you not only installation but sourcing/purchasing information too. Follow all the links to get an idea of the process to add the HD cooling to your Jeep.

As for the 7pin connector & hitch I think I have both of those covered. The popup I am interested in has electric brakes and comes with the 7pin hookup. I need to have the jeep wired for towing(dealership wanted $400 plus brake controller...yikes!) as we only have a hitch right now.
The hitch is a class III with the 6 bolts as you mention but I am unsure of what grade they are.

If you want to go factory for the wiring the OEM harnesses are available. Unless you have the EVIC overhead console you'll need two components: the main 7-pin harness and what's called a supplemental harness. Both easy to install and make for a clean look. You can do it in your driveway or have a mechanic do it - shouldn't take more than an hour.

Other than that...Thank you again for your help! The jeep is new in my life(using it for towing purposes) and hopefully I can learn a lot more from this forum and the members within.

You're welcome!

Bob

Archy88

Reaction score
Here's a thread that gives you not only installation but sourcing/purchasing information too. Follow all the links to get an idea of the process to add the HD cooling to your Jeep.

If you want to go factory for the wiring the OEM harnesses are available. Unless you have the EVIC overhead console you'll need two components: the main 7-pin harness and what's called a supplemental harness. Both easy to install and make for a clean look. You can do it in your driveway or have a mechanic do it - shouldn't take more than an hour.
Wow, thanks again for the wealth of information. I have plenty to go forward with and some things to research. I would love to install the wiring myself but I think my past experiences warrant paying my mechanic at this point. Been through too many headaches with electrical projects.

Overall I'm glad that I did pull up some correct information and also came across helpful people between the two forums. I need to speak to the dealership this week to finalize a few things but I can't wait to get something! Glad I stumbled upon our super capable little Liberty for towing!

I'll be sure to reply back if I have any further questions.

Archy88

Reaction score
I picked up the pop up on Friday and brought her home. Everything went just fine, and I'll be leaving for our first trip next week. I'll be sure to keep an eye on everything and see if any issues arise.

Thanks again for the help

Perps

Reaction score
Similar Question

Hello everyone! I have a similar question as the Original Poster so I'll piggy back on this threat...

I have an '03 Liberty Renegade addition that I want to tow a camper trailer. The specs are:

23 feet
3500 lbs trailer weight
500 lbs tongue weight

I've already confirmed (from previous information in this thread) that I indeed do have a ****** cooler, 8pin plug and the HD tow package.

I've tested towing the trailer around, seems all good with power and breaking. The 1 part of the tow test it struggled was on the highway going above 50mph, it started to sway. It was a windy day and I was going about 55mph into a downhill slope and it was getting pretty bad. It was feeling unstable above 50mph the whole time we drove on the highway (about 10miles total). Is this a feesible trailer to tow with my jeep? Would sway bars help? If so, any suggestions on type?

Thanks in advance for any help!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any info that can chime in on my question?

Yes absolutely. There are a few things you may need to check out:

1) Your rear springs may be weak and sagged.

2) Your rear lower control arms might be shot.

3) Your rear upper control arm could be shot.

The latter two things will keep the back straight. Item number 1 will keep the back steady. All of which can cause trailer swaying.

Hope this helps!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sway control is close to mandatory with that length trailer - in fact, a weight distribution hitch with the sway control bars will bring the stability back.

With the the weight of the trailer your front wheels may not have the appropriate weight on them leading to sway and instability. A WD hitch with sway control may run you 5 bills but will add greatly to your safety. For what it's worth, I'm running a WD hitch on my Commander and it's rated for 7800 pounds, has the Hemi and is quite a bit longer than the KJ. And the trailer is about 4800 pounds so in the same relative ballpark as your rig.

Bob

Perps

Reaction score
@dude1116 - thanks for the suspension info. It all feels in pretty good condition still but I'll check into it as I cannot tell myself that well what condition they are truly.

@TwoBobsKJ - This is awesome info about sway control and thank you for it. I was suspecting this would be the case and will check into it. Any suggestions on brand you trust?