2003 Jeep Liberty Concerns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would definitely say you're far more likely to have an engine that lasts another 100k or more if kept in good shape/not overheated. I wouldn't be concerned about getting another 80k engine put in, honestly 100k would likely work too but that's just not right that they're downgrading you like that.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy neighbor.

I'm late to the party as usual, but wondering more about the original engine. Was it really sludged up? How long did you have this vehicle? Did you buy it from same dealership? Of course regardless, they definitely screwed up and either didn't put oil in it or filter/drain plug efup. Oil pump failure won't affect oil level, just don't get where it needs to be.

I'd go with the Chrysler reman but not really sure why you'd have to pay anything.

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy neighbor.

I'm late to the party as usual, but wondering more about the original engine. Was it really sludged up? How long did you have this vehicle? Did you buy it from same dealership? Of course regardless, they definitely screwed up and either didn't put oil in it or filter/drain plug efup. Oil pump failure won't affect oil level, just don't get where it needs to be.

I'd go with the Chrysler reman but not really sure why you'd have to pay anything.

Hello, thank you for taking the time out to help give some advice to my situation! When they had the front end & pan dropped I did see there was a good bit of sludge buildup mainly inside the pan & pickup tube, they did note if this did not happen I would not have gotten much more life out of the engine, but that is still besides the point I suppose.

I have had the vehicle for 6-7 year now since I think & always have gotten oil changes on time & had the tech use quality oil, I did not get the vehicle from the same dealer.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be beyond pissed off about the whole thing... you go in for a $20 oil change and then after they destroy the engine, you end up with a bill for $1300 to fix it? I'm counting out option #1 as was said, I wouldn't be putting an engine with 20% more miles in my Jeep, and especially without knowing the donor vehicle's history.

So I'd be enraged about it, but would probably spit out the $1300 for the Chrysler engine. The fact that you have to pay ANYTHING to fix their mess up is beyond unreasonable.

The person who should be paying the entire bill, regardless of which option you pick, is the technician that destroyed your engine. If the dealer is covering $1700 of the $3k engine, the tech needs to be paying whatever is left. Payroll deduct that crap.

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So looks like the dealer is paying part of it. I probably wouldn’t have accepted that.

I had a similar problem with a dealer but it was the transmission. I learned a few things,but it mostly falls on your state laws. In Montana, the repair man is on the hook for about a 100 miles for things such as oil change. Meaning, if I get a oil change and the filter comes off in 20 miles (ruining the engine), as long as I could prove the mileage and their negligence then it’s their baby. Not that it goes that way, dealers don’t own up unless they know you are going to fight it.

Back to what I did, dealer didn’t put the transmission cooling lines, causing the transmission fluid to bleed out in 15 miles. Dealer didn’t want to help, I went to a lawyer. The lawyer drafted a demand letter stating I would sue them. The next day the manager called, and everything was fixed and 75,000 mile contract that guarantees I wouldn’t have problems with the transmission and if I did they would cover it completely.
My situation is different, but if you want to fight it, I’d get your neighbor to sign a statement they didn’t have oil in it. Then go to a competent lawyer in litigation and have them draft a demand letter for the dealer to cover it. BUT that all depends on being able to prove the timeline, meaning miles from repair to break down. Also getting a real mechanic to look at it could help. If they can see the dealer neglected their responsibilities, get a signed statement for it and have the attorney state that in the letter.

Cost me about 100 for the letter but in the end I had the dealer pay me back for it and towing because they forced me to pursue this tactic because they didn’t want to be honest about their mistake.

I learned that it’s better to get a real mechanic than pay the dealer a mechanics wage for a kid that is inexperienced.

Good luck! I think its worth fixing regardless of the outcome. Just my .02

Mk

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay a dime or let them put a used engine with more miles. They need to put in a good engine with same or less miles. Having a lawyer draft up a demand letter seems to be a good idea. Depending on your states limit this may be something you can handle in small claims court if it gets to that.

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay a dime or let them put a used engine with more miles. They need to put in a good engine with same or less miles. Having a lawyer draft up a demand letter seems to be a good idea. Depending on your states limit this may be something you can handle in small claims court if it gets to that.

I didn’t catch that part, used engine with more miles. That’s garbage, they should fix it right, you took care of it and the replacement should be a new one in my opinion. If doing small claims, get all the information and people/signed statements you can to corroborate what happened. It also helps to include info on how it disrupted your life such as having to find rides to work, dealing with towing, and time spent dealing with it (time is money, and the time you spent dealing with this could’ve been more beneficial doing something else).

Mk

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chose option 3 the new Chrysler engine for $1300, I did get some estimates for hiring a attorney to take on the case and they were more then the $1300 not to mention they referenced that the dealership could drag out the case costing me a lot more in the long run, I did have the option thrown out there to report this to the states attorney which would be a nice option since it would not cost me anything or doing some research and taking this to small claims court myself but I am going to wait until all is said and done to see how things go moving forward.

I can not thank everyone enough for all of the advice as it has been priceless in this time of need & chaos for me. Just so I know based on what has happened could there have been anything more damaged besides the engine? I am assuming the engine is the only thing that can be damaged running it without oil but please correct me if I am wrong, when I initially got the vehicle back for a short period of time after the oil pump was replaced it did overheat twice for a short period of time but I shut off the engine as soon as I noticed, I read that the radiator can heat up in the front of the car & melt the plastic housing the fluid runs through but I did not notice any leaking when I got it back for the short time.

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly? The 20K difference in a 80K engine and a 100K engine is non existent. A well maintained 100K engine is likely a far better bet than a short trip, sketchy service 50K engine.

That said, $1300 for a new Chry engine with warranty sounds like a deal to me.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They should replace the radiator and thermostat too, at that age you're due for them anyway. Otherwise, you should be good. A transmission flush would be a good idea too but maybe try another dealer, although you could get a new trans too when they don't refill it. :D

Hang around here and keep us updated!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Right on.

The principle in law (I am not a lawyer), is that in the case of damage caused by someone else's negligence you are entitled to be "made whole". This means that at the very least you should end up no worse off than you were before the other party screwed up.

They basically just want to sell you a used engine at their cost (no loss to them) and waive the labor. You already know how "valuable" their labor is...

(And they may have the same numbskull who forgot to put oil in it do the engine replacement as punishment for his stupidity. You want him touching your Jeep again?)

Don't agree to anything until you've talked to a lawyer.

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to update everyone since this is still ongoing.

I went to test drive the vehicle yesterday & there was a check engine light that came on as soon as we went for the drive which turned out to be the intake manifold so that has been replaced as of today, while test driving the car there was a slight tremble when starting out from a dead stop so when we got back they took the vehicle back in the shop & today we found out there was a bushing that is bad or something which was causing the trembling/stuttering when you would accelerate from a stop, I think it something to do with how the transmission connects to the engine?

If someone has more info as to what this could be it would be appreciated, that is being replaced tomorrow and hopefully that is when we are looking at everything being done. So in least the engine is in, & the car runs wonderfully except these small issues that are being corrected by them.

Thanks again everyone for the help!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So I wanted to update everyone since this is still ongoing.

I went to test drive the vehicle yesterday & there was a check engine light that came on as soon as we went for the drive which turned out to be the intake manifold so that has been replaced as of today, while test driving the car there was a slight tremble when starting out from a dead stop so when we got back they took the vehicle back in the shop & today we found out there was a bushing that is bad or something which was causing the trembling/stuttering when you would accelerate from a stop, I think it something to do with how the transmission connects to the engine?

If someone has more info as to what this could be it would be appreciated, that is being replaced tomorrow and hopefully that is when we are looking at everything being done. So in least the engine is in, & the car runs wonderfully except these small issues that are being corrected by them.

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Maybe the motor mounts? Make sure they replace them as a pair and only use Mopar ones.

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which vehicle is it that you were test driving?
I test drove my car since I wanted to make sure everything was the same as before the mishap happened.

Maybe the motor mounts? Make sure they replace them as a pair and only use Mopar ones.
So basically it was explained to be a busing that sits between the transmission and motor that was causing the delay in acceleration and the vibration when accelerating from a complete stop, ETA is Monday for completion so I finally have a day to look forward to lol!

I am guessing once you start removing some things from the vehicle that have been there for 14 years things do not always go back the way they were once they are put back? I do not know the exact name of the part that has to be replaced since I did not push for a further explanation.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test drove my car since I wanted to make sure everything was the same as before the mishap happened.

He asked because you wrote "I test drove a car"

The Liberty isn't a car and we normally would say "I test drove my car" or, in our case, "I test drove my Jeep/Liberty/truck..."

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He asked because you wrote "I test drove a car"

The Liberty isn't a car and we normally would say "I test drove my car" or, in our case, "I test drove my Jeep/Liberty/truck..."

I definitely was not aiming to confuse anyone & just saw that I said "I test drove the vehicle" & "while test driving the car" which can be misleading as to what exactly I test drove lol!

Concerned

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So got my jeep back, some scuffs on the newly painted front bumper and front grille but I am working on getting that resolved now. Aside from that seems to be running well, going to take the jeep for a longer ride tomorrow to ensure everything is fine. Thanks everyone!