03 Liberty wont start, not battery or starter.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oreic

Reaction score
My wifes 03 wouldnt start the other day. Turn the key and the only thing that happens is lights, radio, windows, etc all work. All I see on the dash is the oil can light and the CEL. Turn key to start and nothing. No clicks, nothing. We can hear and feel the starters relay clicking, but the starter wont turn. So my father and I pulled the starter off, tested it and watch the starter run perfectly...... I hear a lot about an actuator pin being the issue. If it is would the starters relay be clicking though? Or is there aome other system past the relay that could be holding it up. Any help would be helpful.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd start by checking the battery and all it's connections. May have enough for the accessories but could be too weak to turn over or corroded terminals may be limiting its fire power.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Won't start

Switch the starter relay with another relay in the fuse panel. The relay can click and still be bad. The click means the relay solenoid is closing the contacts to send current to the starter solenoid. However if the relay contacts are burnt, not enough current will be sent to the starter relay to activate the starter. So change the starter relay and try that.

Oreic

Reaction score
Oh yeah forgot to mention the battery is fine tested it before anything else. Ive tried all the relays.

Oreic

Reaction score
Checked to see if wipers worked to test their relay, they did. Switched it with the starter relay and they worked. So the relay should be good. Also the starter is not currently installed. We ran out of daylight and can't install it til this coming saturday.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you check the other end of the battery ground? My understanding is that if the actuator pin goes the ignition will feel weird and there will be no clicking relay.

Oreic

Reaction score
Not not yet, and the key also springs back like it should when I turn it all the way.

Oreic

Reaction score
Yes the gear is very much in park. Unless some sensor is thinkimg its not in park.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you get everything reassembled, you could try shifting out of park and back again just to confirm. Maybe try starting it in Neutral? Not sure if it would click the relay if the NSS switch was bad though. Sorry, running out of guesses.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean when you say the "battery is fine"? Modern computer-controlled engines need LOTS of juice from battery to start or they won't fire at all...make sure you are putting out plenty of cranking current....

Oreic

Reaction score
I had the battery tested, it is fine. When it was together I tried to start in neutral and it didn't start.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while the starter is off, use a test light and have an assistant turn key to start position and see if acutator (sP) wire goes hot.

Bob

Oreic

Reaction score
Battery is about 2 years old. When we get everything all hooked up well try jumping to in case.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started my jeep at 10v or less ran it all the way down to about 8v then every time i hit the brakes all the gauges would die because of the power draw from the brake lights totally died right under 6v i know it sounds impossible but i did it my alternator was totally dead got a jump from someone and made it home died when i pulled in to parallel park not easy pushing a car into a city parking spot no power steering no acceleration just me and my back pushing her back and forth

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But you do need to check all your wires power and grounds your battery can be top notch but if where your negative post ground is all corroded you cant put out positive without negative

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you remove the Starter Relay and briefly jumper pins 30 and 87 together inside the relay socket the engine should turn over provided Fuse 8 (40 A) inside the relay box under the hood is blown.

Doing this jumpering will overide the ignition switch actuator problem, a faulty Starter Relay or a faulty Interlock such as the Park sensor or the Neutral sensor.

Try start it in Neutral instead of Park...this will point to a fault Park sensor.

If the engine still does not turn over then check that the battery connections are clean and tight, the negative battery lead going to chassis is clean and tight and that the Grounding strap going from engine to chassis is clean and tight both ends.

Otherwise the Starter Solenoid...attached to the Starter Motor...may be bad.