07 Liberty starting issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biggman100

Reaction score
I have an 07 Liberty 4X4 that almost every time you start it, you have to put the shifter in neutral, then shove it in park, and no one can figure it out. I have replaced the shift cable, starter, alternator, and battery cables, and no luck. Sometimes the starter will click, other times it won't even do that. Now that it's getting colder (upstate NY), it's gotten worse. Sometimes I have to do the whole put it in park thing 2 or 3 times before it starts. Any ideas what else I can test or check?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a link to the manuals, I'm away at work at the moment and off the top of my head I can't remember which relay you need to bridge, look at the drawing and it will be obvious though
The interlock system is a switch in the selector mechanism and a cable to the ignition switch that prevents you starting in anything but park or shifting without the key.