AZ Four Peaks Snow Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well gang, there doesn't look like any snow on Four Peaks. The peaks were clouded over. It's hard to tell in the pic, but IF there is snow up there it can't be much. The road to the parking area is all dry and dusty already, so I doubt if you'll even have mud to play in.

Beth and I are going to sit this one out if you all still go. They're calling for another storm on Wed... maybe a snow run next weekend???

You must be registered for see images

Arizona KJ Carlos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I just called the Tonto Forrest and they mentioned that there was very little snow today at Four Peaks. I'm ok with waiting for a little while to see if we get some snow and make it a real snow run :)

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone interested in a different location tomorrow?? i went to florence-junction yesterday and played in the mud (had a blast) anyway i am thinking of going on a run anyway cause it is a great release for the stress in my work life right now. if there are any takers let me know and we will figure out where.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Robert, I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you guys come up with something.

OT: Finally, after one month exactly, I got the M&P back from S&W. They replaced the mag catch with a newer one. Going to Caswell's to check it out later this evening. Do you want to meet up and go? Either way I'll let you know how it goes.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're leaving here and going to get a bite to eat at Famous Dave's BBQ by Chandler Mall and then going. Your welcome to join us. You have my cell #, right? Are you at work or off?

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im interested in a trip this weekend, what about the pass further north from 4 peaks?

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont have the wells book in front of me but i dont think it will take all day, but im all for an early start just to be sure. come to think of it i dont know the name of the trail off hand either. but im suggesting a mountain pass just north of the 4 peaks pass, its rated more difficult and may not even be doable if there is ice at the tippy spot. when i get home ill look up the details if no one beats me to it by then or suggests some other trail...

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We won't be able to make it tomorrow, wish we could. When the snow fell through Beth made other plans for us. Sorry.

As for the other two trails, you must be thinking of Reno Pass (Wells #42), which is North of Four Peaks and also ends on the Roosevelt Lake side or, Sunflower Mine Loop (Wells #43) on the Northeast side of Hwy 87. Both are rated difficult.

We did Reno Pass five or six years ago in the TJ. There is one very narrow spot that has a high pucker factor, not to mention lots of ruts. From what I've heard over at AZVJC, the trail continues to get worse as the years go by. Wells recommends lockers.

We've never done Sunflower Mine, so can't give you a heads up on that one.

Note: I don't have Russ' phone number. If anyone does, you might want to give him a call and let him know what's going on so he doesn't drive up tomorrow and nobody is there....

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone interested in a different location tomorrow?? i went to florence-junction yesterday and played in the mud (had a blast) anyway i am thinking of going on a run anyway cause it is a great release for the stress in my work life right now. if there are any takers let me know and we will figure out where.

better speak up soon or im gonna make other plans... :D

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
casey, i am not dead set on the ice, a buddy of mine slid his titan like 3 inches from going down a gorge on montana mountain last year so i know it is serious business, that being said i was thinking somewhere inbetween here and tuscon or between here and payson, let me know what you think.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meeting 8:00-8:30am sat 12/15 at the four peaks parking lot, will scout out reno pass tomorrow, more company the better. We do not plan on trying to scale any icy grades that could cause one to slide to their doom =D this being said, reno pass is rated tough, and AJ's advice should be heeded to all who follow us into the frey...

o8k <--- if my jeep ever rolls over to the left, this will show my expression well, kinda an OMG, hair standing up ect....

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off Topic...

How did the pop-gun turn out, AZKJ? Caswell's is where we go for the indoor testing, too.
The M&P40 went back to Smith & Wesson for repair "6" days after I bought it. In the meantime, I turned around and bought a Sig Sauer P226 Elite .40S&W, with the intentions of selling the M&P back to Caswell's, at a loss to me of course, and apply the refund towards the purchase price of the P226. The Sig is too big for Beth to shoot comfortably so I began tossing around the idea of keeping the M&P for her because of the the smaller grips.

The M&P came back yesterday, exactly one month after sending it back. They replaced the mag catch with a beefed up one and it seems to be holding up. I put 200 rounds through it yesterday without a malfunction. I'm going to put another 300 or so rounds down range. If it works as it should, I'm going to keep it.

Thanks for asking.

Oh, check this out... I went to Caswell's CCW class last Saturday, mailed in the paperwork on Sunday and the permit arrived in the mail Thursday. I couldn't believe it was processed, issued and in my wallet in "4" business days!!! That has to be an all time record....

The twins....

You must be registered for see images

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this thread seems well out of control anyhow =p man what a trail, it was very challenging but the people on the trail where beyond the most rude ive ever seen, one guy, who i had asked earlier if he wanted by us cuz we were going slow, who said no hes good,,, started yelling at me to hurry up and was trying to spot me into very large rocks to try and move things along. anyways ill post up some shots later when i can start going through them. really cool scenery very fun trail, just got a little hairy there in the stream bed for a while. not to mention, a slight amount of carnage ensued, i lost a few pieces off the jeep where rock rails should have been... =D

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of control??? We know what we're doing... LOL

It sounds like you had a good run minus the a$$holes who can be real jerks. What were they driving?

Waiting on pics....

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a guy from virtual jeep club driving a Cherokee, he was pretty cool, helped us a long in a few spots, theres a pic of him spoting Robert on here, but indrectly made it obvious, he thought our rides to be quite infirior to his own (that part sucked). Then there were these two guys that har wranglers, they were a-o-k. The real mean person was a guy on a quad with a tomcar er somthing. Still cant believe how he acted! I even asked him if he wanted to get through, he was trying to spot me from way down the trail where he couldnt see ANYTHING that was going on. The first part of the trail was much more fun b/c no one else was there. Just Robert and I and nature. The stream was very hard to drive in and stay up on the rocks w/ out sliding sideways ect. so i kept finding myself at the bottom of the stream and too close to my pumpkin or side rails for comfort. All in all great trip, but there was a moment at the end, where like back way to crown king, i was just tired of one obsticle after another, added on top was all the wierd noises our jeeps, esp mine, were making b/c of me sitting in the water for so long :D

UPDATE: found some interesting info on the sunflower mine, it was a mercury mine, hence the red rocks all over the place (aka cinnabar)!

http://www.ironminers.com/ironmines/sunflower-mine-1.htm

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well done and great pics!!! Now that's wheeling and you guys earned you're stripes out there today. How'd you come home, via the Apache Trail or through Globe? Did you guys stop for dinnner?

Casey... yeah, the Wrangler crowd can be a bunch of a$$holes and if your not driving a built rock crawler, many of them think you shouldn't even been out there. Beth and I made a few runs with the AZVJC early on when we first bought the TJ. The AZ KJ gang is a much friendlier group of people to run with by far.

Robert... we're waiting on your pics!!!

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well done and great pics!!! Now that's wheeling and you guys earned you're stripes out there today. How'd you come home, via the Apache Trail or through Globe? Did you guys stop for dinnner?

OOps =( I forgot to mention one critical detail in my previous posts, Reno pass was closed at the start, we had to wonder over to Wells 43 and run Sunflower Mine, which is a loop so we just came back the way we went (87)
Robert is prolly sleeping at the moment, he had to work tomorrow (he starts at 2:30AM in think) And lemmi just re-itterate Ouch! Sunflower mine is NO Joke. it would be 10x easier w/ out the water in it tho. i was slippy slide'in all over the place all my "lines" were foiled by slipping and i bumped and surfed along trying not to smash my diff to bits.