AZ October Run...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would prefer to keep it at 0830, if that is alright. I will need to be heading out with the quads earlier than I expected. We are needing to move my larger furniture to the new apartment in the afternoon and I have another obligation that night.

Oh, and a meet and greet type thing in the canyon sounds awesome. If we need to bring anything, let us know. That will give me some good opportunities for some high speed runs through the canyon. :)

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lets meet as scheduled, however, i can dig through my gps way points from yesterday and try and post the spot where we will setup camp for the day long meet and greet. that way yall who wanna come by later can and just meet us in camp (granted u have a gps, or just look up the spot on google earth to see where the day camp spot is). from there (day camp spot) folks can run off and do some shorty trails and come back and such or just play in the sand right there along the river, or just hang out at camp and get to know your fellow jeepers better for an afternoon.

?? eh ??

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like some people want to move the time back and others want to keep it the same.

The trail is not hard to find and we would be easy to spot camped out in the canyon. So, I suggest those that want to meet at 0830 as scheduled do so. We could set up camp, hang out and wait for the others that want to come by later.

Casey, what do you think? Beth and I would meet the folks at 0830 and set up camp.

Russ, you may have a good idea, but help me out. I'm looking at Wells #36. We would have to go back into town to pick up that trail, right? Also Wells says the alternate way out via Castle Creek is "difficult, dangerous and road washed out". On the other hand, Massey and Wilson show #C-20, Buckhorn Creek as being rated a 2. Both trails look to be the same until you reach the point where Wells says the trail turns bad. Are we looking at the same trails?

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lets meet as scheduled, however, i can dig through my gps way points from yesterday and try and post the spot where we will setup camp for the day long meet and greet. that way yall who wanna come by later can and just meet us in camp (granted u have a gps, or just look up the spot on google earth to see where the day camp spot is). from there (day camp spot) folks can run off and do some shorty trails and come back and such or just play in the sand right there along the river, or just hang out at camp and get to know your fellow jeepers better for an afternoon.

?? eh ??
Casey... looks like you posted as I was typing a reply to Russ. Both plans sound good. Those that want to hang out all day can do so, the others who want to take the trail home as Russ descibed could do that too.

Directions to the trail and Camp from McD's in Wickenburg....

- Leaving McD's, make a right and go into town.

- Make a right at the light onto Hwy 89/93 like you are heading to Kingman.

- Go a few miles down the road, pass a Woody's gas station on the right.

- Go a few more miles, look for Rincon Rd on the right and turn onto it.

- Follow Rincon Rd a few miles to the river bed.

- Make a right into the river going towards the canyon. We'll be camped out in a sandy, shaded area on the left bank half way down the river. You can't miss us.

Sorry for any confusion on this trip. Just let us know who is starting at 0830 and we'll wait on you at McD's. The other folks, get there when you want and we'll decide how and when we'll go home.

Last edited:

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can work with 8:30 at Mickey D's.

I'm looking at Wells #36. We would have to go back into town to pick up that trail, right? Also Wells says the alternate way out via Castle Creek is "difficult, dangerous and road washed out". On the other hand, Massey and Wilson show #C-20, Buckhorn Creek as being rated a 2. Both trails look to be the same until you reach the point where Wells says the trail turns bad. Are we looking at the same trails?

Yes, we're looking at the same trails. Like I said, I was just thinking out loud, looking at backroads. I was kinda thinking take the Wells turnoff (GPS point 3 and beyond) go for as far as it looks interesting, then turn around and continue on to Castle Hot Springs Road. Or not. Like I said, just thinking out loud. Or in print. Or something.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was kinda thinking take the Wells turnoff (GPS point 3 and beyond) go for as far as it looks interesting, then turn around and continue on to Castle Hot Springs Road. Or not. Like I said, just thinking out loud. Or in print. Or something.
Russ, sounds like a good plan to me. For those that want to go deeper into the mountains on the way home, it's a nice ride. We haven't been on that trail in about five years, but it was a fun run when we did it....

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan to me. We should be all unloaded at the canyon by the time you guys get there. If we are not at the truck, then we are just down in the canyon already. I know exactly the shady spot you are talking about.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan to me. We should be all unloaded at the canyon by the time you guys get there. If we are not at the truck, then we are just down in the canyon already. I know exactly the shady spot you are talking about.

Good idea Shawn! This way we can procure the spot for sure, as it is likely if we are late, the spot may be taken, but if it is, like AJ said, if you head down the canyon, its hard to miss where we will be hanging out, and there are plenty of nice spots to hang out.

Sounds like a good idea!

AJ, prolly better edit the first post where all the instructions are to let everyone know what is happening so no one gets left behind or confused.

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) Corwyyn - you cook? Never would have guessed that one! It must be superb. Looking forward to seeing you again.

2) Too bad about the condition of Castle Creek. I have ridden dirt bikes back there and had hoped to show Castle Hot Springs to Lisa. One of the reasons I set up the Libby the way it is: to take Lisa to some of my old dirt rides that she was never able to follow me on.

3) 08K - bust out with the coordinates. Never thought we'd have such a versatile group. Thanks for all of the options! You guys did super. Uh, did I read something about video?

4) AZKJ - I don't think a 'KEE being pulled out by a CRD/Libby is anything to be ashamed of (tee-hee). However, denial is a serious issue! You might want to 'fess up. I only say this because when Beth meets Lisa and they get their heads together, we are going to be in serious ca-ca. Their prodding may start with something like: "If you were half a man... -OR- Its okay for men to cry."

5) Put us on the list for: chips, ketchup, mustard, pickles, cheese & *****

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya ill get the post of the pics up soon.... sounds like this is comin toghther, there is a dude from lost that may wanna know this "modification" to the plan so he doesnt get left out, not sure if he has spoken up yet on this, hadnt heard him chime in yet...

EDIT:

with out further a-doo....

You must be registered for see images attach

This little "hole" was kinda a trap, looked easy, but turned out tricky... I really only needed to just guide AJ w/ the strap to keep im from runnin further against the rocks. the sandy ditch just sucked him in and wouldnt let go... a small pull in the right direction let him get out on his own power....

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I hang my head in shame, what can I say other than it was a stupid move on my part to drive in there. Thanks Casey for the tug and not making it sound as bad as it was.... :eek:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1)5) Put us on the list for: chips, ketchup, mustard, pickles, cheese & *****
Will do, I'll start a food list in Post #1

Also, if everyone who is going to meet us at 0830, let me know so we know who to expect before we head to the camping spot.

Last edited:

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can put me down for some potato salad and if you can think of anything else i would love to contribute (i dont have a folding table but if need be i will acquire one). i am planning on meeting at 830 but if i am not going to make it by then i will call ya.

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
table would be nice, otherwize we fold down someone's seats and make a table in the back of a kj. who is on chip duty? There may be a few beers floating round in the bottom of my cooler too... =D

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
table would be nice, otherwize we fold down someone's seats and make a table in the back of a kj. who is on chip duty? There may be a few beers floating round in the bottom of my cooler too... =D

I will be more than happy to bring chips. Are we in need of anything else foodwise?

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3) 08K - bust out with the coordinates. Never thought we'd have such a versatile group. Thanks for all of the options! You guys did super. Uh, did I read something about video?

THIS IS THE CAMPING SPOT WE WILL ATTEMPT TO PROCURE, GRANTED NO ONE IS THERE WHEN WE GET THERE AT 8:40AM ish SATURDAY....

HERE as shown on my GRARMIN: N34,02.945 W112,43.418
OR DMS: N34,02,56.57 W112,43,25.94

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so where do you get out into the canyon? I see Rincon Rd. just north of Wickenburg, did you just go out until it went down into the wash and then take off up the river from there? Just wondering, the lunch spot looks like it's might take 20 minutes to reach?

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so where do you get out into the canyon? I see Rincon Rd. just north of Wickenburg, did you just go out until it went down into the wash and then take off up the river from there? Just wondering, the lunch spot looks like it's might take 20 minutes to reach?
The canyon is where the river narrows.

Turn right on Rincon Rd > pass signed Blue Tank Rd on the right > when you come upon the riverbed, enter and turn right > travel in the riverbed for maybe a mile and a half at most > we'll be on the left bank. It takes maybe 15 minutes tops to get to the camp. You can't miss us....

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still need a table ot two if someone can come up with some.

We also need some paper plates, napkins and plastic knives and forks.

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optional security force detail may have changed from Delta to Sierra. We are looking into this...

We have a couple of tables we use for vending. Will that help? We could throw those on top and bring them along.

Anyone keeping up with all of this?

Last edited: