AZ October Run...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am assuming you guys are planning on entering the canyon via Rincon Road, right? It may be more efficient for you guys if we park the truck and trailer in the staging area and get the quads unloaded before you guys show up.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am assuming you guys are planning on entering the canyon via Rincon Road, right?
Yes, we're going in at Rincon road off Hwy 93/89. I don't know where the staging area you are talking about is. Maybe we can meet you at the end of Rincon Road where it runs into the river?

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, we're going in at Rincon road off Hwy 93/89. I don't know where the staging area you are talking about is. Maybe we can meet you at the end of Rincon Road where it runs into the river?

That is where I am talking about. It is just a great big open area right before you descend into the canyon.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're still on for a scouting trip this coming Sunday, right?

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
absolutly AJ. im excited! no puppies this time but will have the folks w me. wondering if u wanna run the bak way to wickenburg via tonopah er not (could meet at my place) no biggie either way... i also wanted to test out your inflator on my bfgs to see if it can return me to 65psi (that i run) in a reasonable amnt of time =o or if i will have to create some other contraption to do the job.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to meeting your folks.

Is that other trail in the Wells book? I'm still up in Utah, so don't have it with me to look it up. If it's the one I'm thinking about, you go in at the I-10 underpass near the old truck stop. It's an easy run up to Wickenburg, all flat open desert.

Anyway, if you want to run it, that's okay with us,but I can't leave home much before 1000 Sunday, so that really doesn't give us time to run that trail and meet desertkj at the river by 1200. His mom will be there and they'll be on ATV's.

Wow!!! You run 65 psi tires? That must be one harsh ride, not to mention how fast you'll wear out the center. On my TJ, I run 31" BFG MT's at 33 psi on the highway and 15-20 psi on the trail and they're wearing perfect after 30k miles. This scouting trip will most likely be their last off road run, they need to be replaced soon.

Gotta go, otheres are waiting to use this motel computer....

AJ
Utah Expedition - 2007
Lot's of pics to come!!!

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anything under 65 and the ride is so mushy its dangerous on the HWY. They are rated 80psi max so i asume they shouldnt have an issue w/ uneven wear, time will tell....

Its wells trail 41 i was thinking about

What i may do then since we will be meeting up there later in the afternoon is (if youve run it b4 and it isnt too bad to do alone) run my folks up that route to wickenburg, wells shows the trail as 12 miles, so it actually "should" be faster for me to run up to wikenburg that way.

great to hear Shawn is coming on the scout venture sunday, thought all that noise about the quads was for the real run on the 13th

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great to hear Shawn is coming on the scout venture sunday, thought all that noise about the quads was for the real run on the 13th

It was. We are not going on the scouting trip. I am in the process of packing stuff up to move right now, so we will only be there on the 13th.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was. We are not going on the scouting trip. I am in the process of packing stuff up to move right now, so we will only be there on the 13th.
desertkj... Oppps!!! I took it that you were doing the scouting trip. Sorry for any confusion....

o8k... I guess it's just us two and our co-pilots. Beth and I will see you at the McD's in Wickenburg, this coming Sunday @ 1200. We'll be in the TJ....

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj... Oppps!!! I took it that you were doing the scouting trip. Sorry for any confusion....

o8k... I guess it's just us two and our co-pilots. Beth and I will see you at the McD's in Wickenburg, this coming Sunday @ 1200. We'll be in the TJ....

No problem. I just was a little surprised to see me on the itinerary for this weekend LOL. :)

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wonderful!!! More company! looking fwd to it...

ANyone wanna do grille for lunch? Was thinking it may be nice enough for such....

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone wanna do grille for lunch? Was thinking it may be nice enough for such....
Casey... that may be a good idea. You and I could bring a couple of grills. Maybe one of us could provide hamburgers/buns, the other hotdogs/buns and everyone else bring condiments, chips and a side dish to share. If anyone wants a steak, they could bring there own meat.

Let's talk about it Sunday on the scouting trip, then we can post the idea for real and see what everyone wants to do, that is if we survive the expedition into unchartered waters....

AJ

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Casey... that may be a good idea. You and I could bring a couple of grills. Maybe one of us could provide hamburgers/buns, the other hotdogs/buns and everyone else bring condiments, chips and a side dish to share. If anyone wants a steak, they could bring there own meat.

Let's talk about it Sunday on the scouting trip, then we can post the idea for real and see what everyone wants to do, that is if we survive the expedition into unchartered waters....

AJ

I like that idea! further discussion tomorrow... Looking forward to tomorrow...

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scouting Report BCH...

First let me begin with a disclaimer. I took the TJ for this little adventure since it hadn't been on the trail in awhile, the water level in the river was unknown and I didn't want the wife's KJ subjected to unknown conditions. Now with that said, there may be rumors posted in this thread that I foolishly got myself stuck in sand, up against a rock wall in a small side canyon where I shouldn't have gone AND had to be pulled out by a KJ. LOL... Yeah right, a TJ being pulled out by a KJ, that's unheard of. There may also be something said about me breaking a mirror right off it's base while trying to get unstuck. So, as the saying goes, without pics... it didn't happen, no matter what o8k might try to tell you.

Okay, with that settled, on with the scouting report....

We meet o8k and his parents at McD's in Wickenburg (really great people and it was our pleasure to get to know them throughout the day).

We made our way to the riverbed and aired down. We found only tons of sand until we got further down stream where we found a few inches of water to play in that went on for a mile or so. Further downstream the riverbed got real rocky, so we climbed out and headed off to find Stanton Ghost Town. After several wrong turns and driving around in circles for awhile, we finally found the trail and made our way to Stanton. There were a few old interesting buildings sitting next to a rustic RV park that was kind of unique. From there we headed back to Wickenburg for dinner and then we all called it a night.

The trail into the canyon is not very long, in and out in 1 1/2 hours easy. The trail to Stanton is not all that exciting.

o8k and I talked about setting up camp half way down the river under some big shade trees. We'd like to grill some hotdogs and burgers. The rest of the time can be spent hanging out, playing in the water and running up and down some sandy hills in the area.

Since this is not a long run, it raises a few questions...

- does everyone want to keep the meeting time at 0830 or maybe move it back to 1000 or so? We think it would be best to move it back if everyone agrees.

- what do you all think about grilling, hanging out and playing in the water and sand instead of a traditional run where we 're on the trail driving all day?

o8k and I would like to provide the burgers, hotdogs and buns. We'd need someone to bring condiments, chips and a few side dishes. Everyone would bring their own drinks.

Ideas, comments welcome....

Last edited:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha ha, AJ you are so busted! As soon as Casey posts up those pics (which I'm sure he has) all the world will be able to share in your folly :p

Sounds like y'all had a fun day. It is possible that given a proper alignment of the moon with Jupiter in the evening sky, along with favorable readings of the entrails, I may be able to make this run. That being said, if it is that easy to get into the fun stuff then I would be in favor of a later meeting time. I'll see what I can throw together for a side dish and maybe a dessert (we'll see).

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Casey ain't got squat. Now, if he can get his hands on his dad's camera AND figure out how to post a short video from his mom's camera, he may have something. Till then, I'm innocent.... :D

Does this look like anyone in a hurry to rescue somebody?

You must be registered for see images

Looks like this CRD without a roof rack may be stuck...

And does this little canyon look like a place a TJ would get stuck up against the wall on the right?

I rest my case....

Last edited:

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does everyone want to keep the meeting time at 0830 or maybe move it back to 1000 or so? We think it would be best to move it back if everyone agrees.

I don't have a problem with that. Of course we could always head back towards Phoenix by taking Buckhorn Road to Castle Hot Springs Road. And maybe try the end of Wells Wickenberg Mountains trail, #36, off Buckhorn.

Just thinking out loud.

Russ