AZ, Apache junc area, day trip sat or sun june 9 or 10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AZ, Apache junc area, day trip sat june 9

just got into town this week and would like to have a little meet, greet, and ride this weekend. would love to meet my fellow wheelin brethren of the az persuation. AZKJ, what do ya say? apache trail area? i dont have my book but the trail that crosses north of the lakes ( other side of apache trail north of lakes ), i need to take easy till i get my belly pan installed tho. whos in?

Now im on a real computer and can look it up, its four peaks trail north of apache trail.

Or go kicking arround over on the other side of the city north on watson road at the south of the white tanks, little more challenging but less scenic. (33,37'52.64"N)(112,33'23.29"W)

Just looking for a little adventure b4 i start work monday wondering if anyone is up for a day trip that weekend.

*EDIT

1) Meet Saturday June 9th 8:30am on beeline road at four peaks trail head (between mile marker 203-204) Leave at 9:00am ish
2) Travel 4 Peaks trail to 188, to apache trail, Stop to eat somwheres at the end of apche trail to unwind and discuss the day.
3) using FRS radio to communicate

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a possibility I could be interested. I have to check the calendar, but on Saturday I could be willing if anyone else is interested. I also have no t-case skid so I'm not really wanting any ******** rockcrawling. Also, I wouldn't really recommend Watson Road. It's not scenic and the sheriff is starting to frown on people being out there.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh didnt know that about watson, did notice a bunch of folks up there that have been shooting and making a mess leaving shells and junk everywhere, kinda sad...

anywho lets say saturday and make it the 4 peaks trail, nice and easy does it. hope u can make it and anyone else whos interested

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife and I may be interested for a Saturday, June 9th trip.

Here's my .02 cents:

Four Peaks Road is an easy 28 mile drive on a washboard dirt road with a few ruts thrown in here and there. Airing down to 18-20 pounds will make the ride a lot smoother.

The top portion of the ride is pretty scenic and there are some great views of Roosevelt Lake on the way down. Also, near the end of the trail, there is an optional 100-150 foot high hill climb to play on (4wd-low required). Once on Highway 188 there is a fun, dry, sandy river bottom to play in that goes back off the road for about a mile.

The trip back to Phoenix can be done two ways:

1. The graded dirt Apache Trail road with a stop for a bite to eat at either Tortilla Flat or the Canyon Lake Marina Restaurant and Cantina.

OR

2. Highway 188 into Globe and US 60 back to the Valley.

Both ways will take about the same amount of time, not counting the stop to grab a bite to eat on the Apache Trail.

What does everyone use for communication? I prefer FRS radios instead of CB's.

For those that think they might want to air down, but don't have a compressor... Pep Boy's carries a good one for $59.00:

You must be registered for see images

Keep us posted....

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool idea! lets do the 4 peaks up and apache trail back and then get a bite there at one of those places either/or. i wouldnt mind seeing the cliff dwellings out by the rosivelt dam too. what time, and where would be a reasonable meeting place? im only an hour er so from there so early works for me, but if any of yall b far out i dont want to make it too hard for the others by meeting too early. this is my first venture of these sorts so not sure how its handled, always went solo b4... =p

i dont have one of those radio gizmos but im sure wally mart can provide. im out in goodyear starting work soon, this sounds fun.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool idea! lets do the 4 peaks up and apache trail back and then get a bite there at one of those places either/or. i wouldnt mind seeing the cliff dwellings out by the rosivelt dam too. what time, and where would be a reasonable meeting place? im only an hour er so from there so early works for me, but if any of yall b far out i dont want to make it too hard for the others by meeting too early. this is my first venture of these sorts so not sure how its handled, always went solo b4... =p

i dont have one of those radio gizmos but im sure wally mart can provide. im out in goodyear starting work soon, this sounds fun.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt mind seeing the cliff dwellings out by the rosivelt dam too.

what time, and where would be a reasonable meeting place? im only an hour er so from there so early works for me, but if any of yall b far out i dont want to make it too hard for the others by meeting too early.

Okay... it looks like we may have a trail ride for this coming Saturday.

No problem if you want to do the cliff dwellings, go for it. It's a pretty steep hike to the ruins, so the wife and I would just hang out and wait while you check them out.

I'd suggest meeting at 8:30, at the Four Peaks Road cut off on the Bee Line Highway (it's on the right side between mile marker 203 and 204). We could meet and greet, air down and pull out at 9:00, earlier if everyone shows on time.

Yeah, Wally World has a decent selection of FRS radios. Motorola and Cobra are the best and are around $40.00-$60 a pair.

If anyone has some more ideas, toss them out and we'll firm everything up. I'll check back here during the week to make sure this trip is on.

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the Goodyear area. Could someone give me a ballpark estimate on mileage? My biggest issue right now is funds for gas. If I'm gonna have to refill twice, then I can't make it this time. :(

Other than that, count me in for now.

*EDIT: OH HEY! I just noticed you said you were in Goodyear o8k.

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the Goodyear area. Could someone give me a ballpark estimate on mileage? My biggest issue right now is funds for gas. If I'm gonna have to refill twice, then I can't make it this time. :(

Other than that, count me in for now.
I'd say it's about 60-70 miles from Goodyear to the Four Peaks cutoff on the Bee Line. Four Peaks Road is 28 miles, it's another 7 miles or so to the Apache Trail. The Apache Trail is about 30 miles long, then maybe 70 or so miles back to Goodyear... you're looking at 205 miles, maybe a little more round trip from Goodyear.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's about 60-70 miles from Goodyear to the Four Peaks cutoff on the Bee Line. Four Peaks Road is 28 miles, it's another 7 miles or so to the Apache Trail. The Apache Trail is about 30 miles long, then maybe 70 or so miles back to Goodyear... you're looking at 205 miles, maybe a little more round trip from Goodyear.

That sounds doable. I'll confirm on Friday night, but for now count me in. Like I just asked o8k, you guys arent planning on running these washboard roads at 60 or anything are you?

Oh and can I get some cross-streets so I can mapquest myself to the general area? I have access to a GPS, but have almost no experience with it.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and do we want to post this over on LOST or just keep it a jeepkj.com trip?

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's okay with me, but run it by 08k, he posted the trip....

Okay. Sounds good to me. I'm really looking forward to this now. Fortunately, I just got a check for graduating that will cover gas. :cool:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool your in goodyear too we can met and follow out, er met out there. no i like taking it easy stopping often and enjoying the trip, not out to break anything.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey no problem, post in lost is cool, the more the merry =)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool your in goodyear too we can met and follow out, er met out there. no i like taking it easy stopping often and enjoying the trip, not out to break anything.

Yeah, I'd be up for that. I'll probably gas up at a Safeway, so are you close to the one on Litchfield Road or Estrella Parkway?

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still learnig my way round here i know where litchfield is lets go there, prolly 7:15 ish so we have time to roll out there by 8:30

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still learnig my way round here i know where litchfield is lets go there, prolly 7:15 ish so we have time to roll out there by 8:30

Litchfield Road and Indian School at that Safeway sounds good. I'll make sure the Motorola's charged up.

I hope we have some more sign up. I'm thinking five would be good. Maybe Corwyyn will show up.