Florence Run....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Florence Run

We'll be doing Box Canyon (Wells #55), going in off Price Road and parts of two other trails. As we exit Box Canyon, we'll pick up the trail for Martinez Cabin (Wells #52) and have lunch at the cabin. From there we'll back track a little and head down to the Gila River, picking up Walnut Canyon (Wells #57). The trail ends on Hwy 177, just a few miles southeast of Superior.

All three trails are rated Moderate... you should have skids and tow hooks.

It's been a few years since we've ran those trails, so if anyone wants to jump in and lead, that's okay with me. If not, we'll find our way out... we always do.

Edit: Kevin stepped up and said he would lead this one (he must of ate too much dirt on the last run... LOL).

Date: Feb 23
Time: 0800
Roll Out: 0830
Meet: Price Road and Hwy 79 Florence, AZ
Length: All Day
CB: channel 4
FRS: channel 4-1

Please gas up in Florence and get whatever supplies you forgot to bring before showing up at the trail head, thanks.

Roll Call:

AZKJ - w/co-pilot
rkeegstra - w/co-pilot
M&P40
Corwyyn
oldhockeyvb - canx
Pablo

Bring snacks, lunch, water and your camera.

We'll see everyone at the trail head to Box Canyon at Price Road!!!

Note: Also posted on AZ L.O.S.T.

Last edited:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I've requested to NOT be scheduled for OT that Saturday (figure I'm owed since I'll be working both days this weekend) so put me down for trail lead. I've been as far as the river bottom going out toward Walnut Canyon so I think I can get us nice and lost :D I'll look up the trail in the Wells book and plot the rest of the stuff in my GPS. If it's OK I've also invited a lady who works with me to bring her husband along (who recently immigrated from the UK) so he can see some of the back country. They may be bringing their new Xterra if they have the skids on it - she's going to check and let me know, otherwise I may see if they want to ride along with me.

Last edited:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just spent some quality time with Google Earth and my Garmin mapping software getting things laid out. From the intersection of Price Rd. and Hwy 79 it is 20 miles into Martinez Cabin, 2 miles of which we backtrack to get on the trail towards Walnut Canyon. From the turn off of Martinez Canyon Rd. it is 17 miles out to Hwy 177 at Battleaxe Trail. So that is 37 miles of trail, the first 12 or so can be run at 15-25mph, then once into Box Canyon the speed drops. Figure 25 miles at ~4mph = 6hrs 15min travel time. Luckily sunset is around 6:20pm and we can have at least another half hour of usable light after that.

Just wanted to let everyone know whats in store, it'll definitely be a full day on the trail. If anyone wants GPS info drop me a pm and I can send you a file in whatever format you need ;)

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin!!! We'll see how much things have changed since the last time we ran it.

Let me know about your friends, and if they can make it, I'll add them to the list....

AJ

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool! Does anyone have an SWR meter they can bring (Corwyyn, I'm looking at you...)? I just got the little Midland CB (75-822) and a mag mount antenna and I'm wondering how bad it is, transmission-wise. Reception is more than acceptable for my purposes.

Thanks in advance,
Russ

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool! Does anyone have an SWR meter they can bring (Corwyyn, I'm looking at you...)? I just got the little Midland CB (75-822) and a mag mount antenna and I'm wondering how bad it is, transmission-wise. Reception is more than acceptable for my purposes.

Thanks in advance,
Russ

russ i am unsure if mine will work but my CB has a SWR built in. i am sure if it will work AJ can show us how

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance,
Russ
So that's where that feeling of being watched came from today - at least it wasn't the Eye of Sauron :eek: Yeah I have an SWR meter we can use, shouldn't take to long to get tuned. Did you get the optional adapter to connect it to car power and an external antenna?

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have an SWR meter we can use, shouldn't take to long to get tuned.

Excellent, thanks. I'm not too worried about efficiency, after all I doubt I'm going to use it to talk much more than a few hundred feet, but I want to make sure my SWR isn't around 5:1 or something like that to avoid putting extra stress on the transmitter.

Did you get the optional adapter to connect it to car power and an external antenna?

Yup. I wish the power cable was a little longer, but I'll probably have to make a 12v distribution panel anyway to run all the different radios and GPSs and stuff.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
russ i am unsure if mine will work but my CB has a SWR built in. i am sure if it will work AJ can show us how
Robert, if all you've done is set your SWR's by the internal knob on the unit, you might want Kevin to check yours too. The internal SWR check is basically used to fine tune the radio after you have already matched up your antenna with the external meter....

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vern, from over on AZ L.O.S.T., has signed on as a definite maybe!!! I added him to the list.

If no one minds, I think I'm going to take the TJ on this trip so I can run with the big kids. If I rememner correctly, there is at least one, maybe two places in Box Canyon that I think I may have a problem with a stock height KJ and I really don't want to take a strap to get over them. I've kinda given up on a lift for Beth's KJ.... LOL.

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh i do hate missing a good trip like this =( even if im already doin somthingelse fun, yep i was the kid that would run room to room when company was over, never sure where to plant myself :D yall have fun and ill see ya on the next one

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh i do hate missing a good trip like this =( even if im already doin somthingelse fun, yep i was the kid that would run room to room when company was over, never sure where to plant myself :D yall have fun and ill see ya on the next one
Casey, it's not too early to be posting up a run in March. Any ideas??? Hint, hint.... :)

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's almost time to head out... anyone else interested in joining us on this trip???

Vern had to drop out.

Pablo from AZ L.O.S.T. signed on!!!

Kevin, what about your lady friend and her husband?

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back last night from my trip, wow what fun and adventure, im tired. My buddy is flyin out tomorrow and i have to take him to the air port tomorrow so im out, but yall have fun. Post pics for me when ya get back, and be carefull on that one dropoff, hug the canyon wall like wells says :D

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... and be carefull on that one dropoff, hug the canyon wall like wells says :D
If you're talking about the dropoff I think you are it won't even be an issue since we're going in the south end of Box Canyon. But we'll keep an eye open anyway. ;)

As far as my friend is concerned I'd count her out. She was off work last night because she was getting sick, doubt she'll be there tonight. I'll see everyone tomorrow.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come on Casey!!! Drop your friend off early or let him take the Super Shuttle. Friends understand things like that... LOL Oh, and we'll be waiting on some pics of your trip up north.

Kevin... too bad about your friend, hope she isn't coming down with the flu.

See everyone tomorrow!!!

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trip report and more pictures posted here...

Pablo and rkeegstra on the rocks...

You must be registered for see images attach

Corwyyn pulling a full size Chevy truck up a steep dirt ledge....