You dont change the filters with a ****** flush?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

limitedsilver06

Reaction score
My cousin works in the service department at a dealership, I asked him if they supply the filters when I have them do my transmission flush or if I have to supply them, he says you dont have to replace the filters when you do a flush because the flush cleans them out? Does this sound right??

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, this is what happens at the dealer, just had mine done a while back. I believe they flush the system in reverse which is suppose to remove the buildup on the filter.

My honest opinion is that the dealer is overpriced on this service, you could save ~$100 by going to an reputable auto shop. I just go to the dealer for all work while its under warranty.

As noted mine was done at the dealer and I did notice improvement with the shifting (especially from P to D in the morning).

limitedsilver06

Reaction score
Thanks! I've been noticing some shutter now and then, I've got 40k on it and will be doing some towing of my boat this summer so I figure it'd be good for it, Also going to do the tcase and diffs. My cousin said he'd give me a discount and the price he gave me was pretty good so I'm having them do my jeep and my car..

limitedsilver06

Reaction score
Yep, this is what happens at the dealer, just had mine done a while back. I believe they flush the system in reverse which is suppose to remove the buildup on the filter.

My honest opinion is that the dealer is overpriced on this service, you could save ~$100 by going to an reputable auto shop. I just go to the dealer for all work while its under warranty.

As noted mine was done at the dealer and I did notice improvement with the shifting (especially from P to D in the morning).

I found this so I think I'll have them change it, the filters only like $10 anyways.

"For models with the 45RFE transmissions, the main sump filter needs to be replaced at every service. The spin-on filter will only need to be replaced every 90,000 miles. For models with the 42RLE transmissions, the sump filter will have to be replaced at every service."

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, was that out of a service manual?

I wouldn't know about the 45RFE ******, but I am fairly certain the dealer didn't replace mine. I even asked them about it, and they said it wasn't necessary.

Maybe they were trying to save a few bucks...

limitedsilver06

Reaction score
Interesting, was that out of a service manual?

I wouldn't know about the 45RFE ******, but I am fairly certain the dealer didn't replace mine. I even asked them about it, and they said it wasn't necessary.

Maybe they were trying to save a few bucks...

I read that from this document about the Liberty, its got some very helpful information.. What year is your jeep? I'm guessing I have the 42RLE transmission but am not sure, I guess I have to count the bolts on the pan to be certain but I'm going to buy the filter and bring it to them when I have it flushed since I'm not bringing it to a jeep dealer for the flush.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty/Fluid_Capacities_&_Intervals

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My uncle-in-law swears by the valvoline place near his house (13ish and Van ****, on VD for you locals).

For $80 (on a GM anyway) they'll drop the pan, replace the filters, and then perform a reverse flush. I think this will be the route I go on my KJ. I firmly believe that the filters should be replaced, not just "reverse flushed".

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a 2006 with the 3.7 engine, you have the 42RLE. I believe it was the middle of the 2003 model year when the transmissions were changed. Mine is a 2005.

Speaking of, I am not sure if the 4-cyl engine shares transmissions with the 3.7, in case you have the 4-cyl. There also is the CRD diesel engine from I believe 2005-2007, but I don't know anything about them (except the great mpg).

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you say a "flush" I think of the machine the dealers and repair shops use to "flush" the ****** fluid out. .... as opposed to dropping the pan and chainging the filter and replaceing the 3 or so quarts of ****** fluid that came out. Some of them just do a "flush" with the machine and that's it.

Whoever does it, MAKE SURE they are going to put ATF+4 in it and NOT anything elce or you WILL have problems with your ******. The Mopar ATF+4 is a synthetic ****** fluid and what is supposed to be in it according to the owners manual and the FSM.

Dave

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ has 72,0000 on it. (Getting Old) I've never had the ****** serviced. Would it cause any problems now to do so?

limitedsilver06

Reaction score
My KJ has 72,0000 on it. (Getting Old) I've never had the ****** serviced. Would it cause any problems now to do so?

I would say no. You'd have smoother shifting out of the deal I dont see how anything negative could come out of a clean ******..
I'm going to use amsoil, it doesnt specify a ATF +4 it just says ATF? I've read a few people on here use it so it must be doing an OK job? whats the +4 stand for anyone know?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about that. Someone can prove me wrong, but I believe it's either maintain it from the get-go, or just let it go. At 72k, I don't know if I'd change it (if it's never been done).

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about that. Someone can prove me wrong, but I believe it's either maintain it from the get-go, or just let it go. At 72k, I don't know if I'd change it (if it's never been done).

I can't say if it's NEVER been done? I bought mine from a stealership used with 59,752 miles on it. It may have been done at 30K? IDK??? But yes i have heard the same thing. "do it from the start, or not at all" I do have the extended warranty and it's good for about another 18k or so. As of now one of you said yes another no. (coin toss) Hope a few more of you will chime in on this? Thanks

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say if it's NEVER been done? I bought mine from a stealership used with 59,752 miles on it. It may have been done at 30K? IDK??? But yes i have heard the same thing. "do it from the start, or not at all" I do have the extended warranty and it's good for about another 18k or so. As of now one of you said yes another no. (coin toss) Hope a few more of you will chime in on this? Thanks
Just drop the pan and change the filter and refill,your safe doing that.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I wouldnt bet on it being done. Always assume people are ignorant and dont take care of their stuff.

Do what tjkj said and drop the pan+do a filter change. Ill probably never get my ****** flushed, I just drop the pan at a minimum of 30k intervals.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are many different ways to service the trans,some are safe,others should be avoided at all cost.

1-A true trans flush uses chemicals and a fluid exchange machine,this is not a reverse flush and with the chemicals should be done often,at least every 30,000miles,to prevent harm.Good flush machines and the good chemicals are either made by BG or Wynns and stay away from others.These machines tie into one trans cooler line and the trans pump pumps the old fluid out while the machine pumps in new fluid at the same rate/volume,this is done in the correct direction of flow also.

2-A fluid exchange machine is like the above stated but does not use chemicals and is safe for any mileage if the correct fluid is used and no chemicals.

3-Drain and refill,you just drop the trans pan and replace the filter and refill the trans to the correct leval.Very safe at any mileage but only replaces about 1/3 of the junk fluid.

4-Reverse powerflush-------STAY AWAY at all cost,will damage any transmission regardless of the mileage.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

SDLiberty......If I bought a used Jeep with 59,752 miles on it (or any vehicle really) and didn't know what was done or when, then I would change all the fluids myself and write down the date and mileage and go from there. I would change the plugs and air filter and pcv valve also. That's just me.

As to the ******, I would just drop the pan and change the filter and fluid. You can't hurt anything and all these things are real easy to do. Then I would know for sure what was done and when.

Gather up all the stuff you need for what you are going to do and you don't even have to buy it all on the same day. Then when you have everything, you don't have to do it all at the same time either if you don't want to. Break it up if you don't have time to do it all at once. Do the ****** and t-case one day as they take the same fluid (ATF+4). Then do the front and rear diff's on another day as you can use the same fluids if you want. (I use 75/140 in both since I tow). Then do the engine oil/filter and plugs on another day.

Just my opinion.

Dave

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TJKJ, do you know what the dealer does for their flush? I guess I am not positive mine was "reverse flushed", although I do know that is what Tuffy's does (almost went there to save $$). Since Tuffy's does this, I assume the dealer did.

I am questioning this now, because I am fairly positive my filter was NOT changed, but I can recall an explanation involving "chemicals".

If the reverse flush truly does hurt any-mileage ****** AND that IS what the dealer does, then I might have to make a stop there on the way home...

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SDLiberty......If I bought a used Jeep with 59,752 miles on it (or any vehicle really) and didn't know what was done or when, then I would change all the fluids myself and write down the date and mileage and go from there. I would change the plugs and air filter and pcv valve also. That's just me.

As to the ******, I would just drop the pan and change the filter and fluid. You can't hurt anything and all these things are real easy to do. Then I would know for sure what was done and when.

Gather up all the stuff you need for what you are going to do and you don't even have to buy it all on the same day. Then when you have everything, you don't have to do it all at the same time either if you don't want to. Break it up if you don't have time to do it all at once. Do the ****** and t-case one day as they take the same fluid (ATF+4). Then do the front and rear diff's on another day as you can use the same fluids if you want. (I use 75/140 in both since I tow). Then do the engine oil/filter and plugs on another day.

Just my opinion.

Dave

Dave thanks for the info. Oil, plugs, Air filter has all been done. Is there a how to thread for trans and /or diff? Don't think they would be hard, but never done these items. Not knowing how to do something and just going with what you think is right. Could just lead to more problems. Thanks

Marc

(The only stupid question, is a question not asked.)