Yet another window regulator issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vettenuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My daughter came over tonight and her left rear window wouldn't go up. When I looked at it the spiral cable was sticking out of the door where the latch is. When the switch was operated, the cable retracted back into the door. Does this sound like the same problem that the Steiger bracket is designed to repair?

Not sure I want a new regulator only to have it break again although there was someone on youtube who said there is a newer design that is a one for one replacement. Haven't found that yet though.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my rear windows did that two years ago. I ended up replacing the the entire Window motor assembly. The gears in the motor stripped out. i bought a refurbished one on ebay for $100. Do you here any clicking when pushing on the window switch?

Last edited:

spideyrdr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My daughter came over tonight and her left rear window wouldn't go up. When I looked at it the spiral cable was sticking out of the door where the latch is. When the switch was operated, the cable retracted back into the door. Does this sound like the same problem that the Steiger bracket is designed to repair?

Not sure I want a new regulator only to have it break again although there was someone on youtube who said there is a newer design that is a one for one replacement. Haven't found that yet though.

Sounds like the issue. I had it happen a short time ago and couldn't even get the door open so had to take apart the door from the inside - no easy task.

vettenuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Steiger Bracket arrived today. Very nice piece. Hope to install on Tuesday afternoon, weather permitting.

vettenuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly with your issue that kit will not fix the problem,you will need a new window regulator as the cable guide broke out of the motor housing(the spiral cable thing).

I hope you are wrong. I contacted Steiger before purchase and described what happened and was told that his part would fix it. Otherwise I am out $100!!!!

vettenuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Got in the Steiger Performance part, installed it and all is well. This is one high quality part and I won't hesitate to use his parts for the next one, although hopefully there is no next one.

jguthrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Steiger piece is for the plate fix. The regulator itself can go bad for numerous reasons. 1 of my 6 breaks was not the plate, but the long spiral screw instead.