Yay I broke my transmission.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its really all personal opinions and thats all it comes down to. XJ's are nice Jeeps as are KJ's. Im not sure why that war will always be there but you will always have people pointing out pro's and con's.

Im not sure how the 3.7 is easier to live with on a day to day?? Personally I think the 4.0 is easier since it has more torque at a lower rpm. I hardly ever get over 3k rpms and over that is where the 3.7 has its torque. I would take a AW4 over the 42rle or 45rfe any day of the week too.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Its really all personal opinions and thats all it comes down to. XJ's are nice Jeeps as are KJ's. Im not sure why that war will always be there but you will always have people pointing out pro's and con's.

Im not sure how the 3.7 is easier to live with on a day to day?? Personally I think the 4.0 is easier since it has more torque at a lower rpm. I hardly ever get over 3k rpms and over that is where the 3.7 has its torque. I would take a AW4 over the 42rle or 45rfe any day of the week too.

I agree....the 4.0 in my WJ was great.:)

incommando

Banned
Reaction score

Can you find torque/HP tables for each? The only 3.7 chart I had found became a dreaded red "X" . :mad: I am pretty sure that although the 3.7 reaches peak tq at a higher rpm, the fact that it makes more tq ( varies by year ) over a wider range means that the tq produced at a given RPM is really comparable. The 3.7 is happier reaching higher RPM's. With a stick at least, it will pull so hard towards the redline that the limiting action will kick in before the engine drops off. You have to watch the tach for that as you can't go by the engine slacking off to judge when you get there.

I think some may mistake hauling the KJ's heavier weight with an engine output issue. (dunno)

As far as ther interior goes: "they make better use of the interior for people duty." I just lift the lid of my armrest and put stuff in there. Maybe the KK is more cubby-friendly? Never been in one.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
My WK has too many cubby holes. They're all full of crap. Maybe if I didn't have them I wouldn't put anything there. :p

KJ doesn't perform like the XJ because of weight. The 3.7L also needs to rev to get power out of it. So those two combined = the "problem". But the increased weight really is the big issue. But I swear these newer, heavier Jeeps sure do hold up a whole lot better when the unthinkable happens.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie's '02 KJ 3.7/45RFE on 31" tall MT/R's and stock 3.73 gears was easily faster than his '95 XJ 2 door 4.0/AW4/3.73 gears. The XJ ran very good (For a 4.0) and the transmission shifted quite nicely (The AW4 IS a nice transmission) and was probably a good 700 lb lighter (on its 225/75-15 Bridgestone ATs)

Both Jeeps were run side by side, and the KJ would hand the XJ its ass in a traffic-light drag race without breathing hard, and the XJ had less miles on it!

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auburn Car Repair and Offroad was nice enough to heckle me with, I mean provide me with a progress report on my Jeep. The wrong part was delivered so I won't have a Liberty until Wednesday.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So...are ya upgrading to the 45RFE or staying with the 42RLE??

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know if you're happy with their work. Is this still all being done for the $1,500 price tag? That almost seems too good to be true. But seriously. I'm in the seattle area so if you're happy with their work, I can have my stuff done there if I ever need it. (knocking on wood).

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind I am getting a used transmission. A rebuilt one would cost about $1k more and have a similar warranty.

They are very well respected. Register on PNWJeep.com, tell them about the water pump and ask for a trusted mechanic in the Seattle area. I will let you know my personal opinion when all is done.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I am getting a TH400. :D

If I was going to upgrade I would think the CRD's 545RFE would be better suited. Assuming it would work.

I would go with the 45RFE if I could...I've driven both and a KJ with double my mileage felt 10x better as far as drive and feel thru the drivetrain...night and day.

hope they get you on the road soon.....

Last edited:

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
545 and 45 are the same except for the programming

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
545 and 45 are the same except for the programming

Huh? Besides the 545 being a 5-speed auto transmission? No, they not the same besides programming. The other has a whole other gear, like totally...

5th Gear ratio - 0.67 : 1

You mean the 42RLE and 45RFE are the same besides programming, and: 45RFE has that other spin-on filter, where as the 42RLE only has the sump filter.

Last edited:

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh? Besides the 545 being a 5-speed auto transmission? No, they not the same besides programming. The other has a whole other gear, like totally...

5th Gear ratio - 0.67 : 1

You mean the 42RLE and 45RFE are the same besides programming, and: 45RFE has that other spin-on filter, where as the 42RLE only has the sump filter.

What? The 45RFE and 545RFE are exactly the same except for software, there was a TSB for the WJs that turns the 45RFE into a 545RFE (it's actually supposed to be 5-45RFE)

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505893
http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1802501.pdf

The 42RLE is a limited electronics transmission, it doesn't even come close to the 45RFE. Also, the 45RFE has two (2) filters (sump and spin on) where as the 42RLE only has one. And the 45RFE has three (3) planetary gears (gives a total of 9 possible forward gear ranges and 3 reverse) and the 42RLE has 2 planetary gears (only 4 possible gear ranges forward).

Last edited:

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, one more thing :
The three planetary sets also make available a unique alternate second gear ratio. The primary 2nd gear ratio fits between 1st and 3rd gears for normal through-gear accelerations. The alternate second gear ratio (2nd prime) allows smoother 4-2 kickdowns at high speeds to provide 2nd gear passing performance over a wider highway cruising range.

Hmm, I wonder if your 42RLE can do that :rolleyes: