Yay I broke my transmission.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not exactly sure how I did it but my transmission will not recognize it is in reverse. Today I was trying to back up a slight incline and I didn't realize I wasn't totally in R. I was revved at about 3K when I popped my trans into reverse and gave it a bit more gas by mistake. Well, I hit redline, some smoke came out of my ****** and and now when I shift into reverse I get nothing. I can rev the engine but nothing happens. My forward gears are fine. What the heck.

Any ideas??
If I toasted the entire ****** then:
Can I get a 45RFE or 545RFE and put that in as a direct swap.
Can I get a 42rle from a Wrangler or another Mopar vehicle that uses it.
If not must it be the 2006 42RLE.

I am getting rid of this POS Liberty. ASAP. In the last month I lost a regulator, a radiator, and a transmission. WTF, OVER!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Give you $1500 for it as it sits.

And also will come get it with the epic win 2002 Jeep Liberty with the unexplodable transmission.

Have tow dolly ready
I am getting rid of this POS Liberty. ASAP. In the last month I lost a regulator, a radiator, and a transmission. WTF, OVER!!!!!!!!!!

Uh, window regulators are a problem on ALL vehicles with power windows. Radiator? Same thing. The transmission? you neutral drop something at 3 grand you WILL grenade a transmission. Just ask ThunderbirdJunkie's TCI Streetfighter AOD that was in his '88 T-bird with over 300 horsepower...some things are just COMMON SENSE....

Last edited:

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a shame midnight, I've had a couple pro lems latley including the radiator and my wife said the same thing , trade it!!!! But I like it so I'll just bare with it, althou if you decide to sell it take off the light bar :D and sell it to me :D

Good luck findong a ******, I would just replace it and keep it but that's up to you and how much you like the libby

Blue KJ in PA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you totally out of warranty? Back in 05 my trans started sounding like a fire engine siren as the torque converter went out and killed the trans too. DC replaced it for my $100 deductible on the 8/80K Certified Used warranty as it was at 36,380 miles so they would budge on the 36K BumpertoBumper no deductible warranty.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the heck.

Sounds like you had a fluid pump failure and then exploded the torque converter... but it's an automatic transmission and there are a lot of things that could have failed.

Any ideas??
Can I get a 45RFE or 545RFE and put that in as a direct swap.

To do this you'll need all the computer components, front driveshaft, TC, transmission and the transmission cross member. It's not a direct swap.

Can I get a 42rle from a Wrangler or another Mopar vehicle that uses it.

I'm not sure on this one.. My guess would be no but I am not up to speed on the 42RLE's.

If not must it be the 2006 42RLE.

You could have the transmission rebuilt, shift kitted and improved over the stock unit for very little outlay (over the cost of the rebuild) and then enjoy a really nice transmission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a fluid pump failure and then exploded the torque converter... but it's an automatic transmission and there are a lot of things that could have failed.

Huh??? He was revving it at 3k then dropped it into R. Of course something is going to break! Cant believe what crappy trannys they put in these Jeeps! Cant even neutral drop them without something breaking! :rolleyes::D

With osama's great plan there should be plenty of trannys floating around.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
With osama's great plan there should be plenty of trannys floating around.
:rolleyes:

Anywho, sorry to hear about this. Freak accidents happen all the time. Regarding your problems... sounds like a streak of bad luck. No sense in calling anything a POS, especially when one of those issues was just a mistake. We're all human here, and we are all capable of doing exactly what you did.

I'm pretty sure you don't have any warranty left considering the '06s didn't come with any sort of powertrain warranty. (I know this for a fact.) Now if you bought one Certified Used, then yes..... and you also paid for that warranty.

Why does every thread transmission related HAVE to turn into a 42RLE vs 45RFE ******* match?! There is nothing wrong with the 42RLE. The 45RFE is just capable of handling more torque, that's it! That does not make it a POS. It was OVERKILL for the 3.7L engine.

Last edited:

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
If your forward gears are fine, then the transmission is not totally toasted. Sure, it is broke, but it goes FORWARD, right? Also, you can't be slightly OUT of gear, it's either IN gear, or it isn't, you must mean that the shifter was not totally in the "R" position and you got NO movement at all. Then, your neutral dropped by accident...

Reverse gear in these jeeps ***** anyway, it's weak, as in no torque. You really have to use the gas pedal in reverse while going up an incline. So, it may seem like it was partially in gear, but you just didn't give it enough gas. Anyhow, it was NOT in gear at all, is what it looks like - it can't be PARTIALLY engaged unless there is a mechanical problem inside the transmission.

Anyhow, reverse uses the same gear as first (something like that), Reverse doesn't have a separate gear. Also, there are mechanical and electrical things that happen on top of all that. Your's isn't working now. Someone said you exploded the TQC? If so, you would not have any gears, no FORWARD ones either.

It may not be as bad as you think, just have it checked out first.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score

There is nothing wrong with the 42RLE. The 45RFE is just capable of handling more torque, that's it! That does not make it a POS. QUOTE]

I beg to differ with you there Marlon. I have owned many many vehicles over my 25 year driving career, and by far this 42 RLE trans is the biggest POS I have ever owned. There is nothing good about this ****** what so ever. [-(

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you decide to firebomb the Jeep and claim the insurance, try going to a ****** shop and get a true diagnosis. If the forward gears still work, maybe not all is lost. I remember my father drove a car with no reverse for about a year, but that was back in the early 60's, things were simpler then. Good luck.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure you don't have any warranty left considering the '06s didn't come with any sort of powertrain warranty. (I know this for a fact.) Now if you bought one Certified Used, then yes..... and you also paid for that warranty.

Are you sure about this? My 06 was in the shop and they thought the PCM was bad but said it was covered on the 8 year 80k powertrain warranty.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 8/80 power-train warranty only covers the motor, transmission, and drive-line; nothing else.
You got a 8/80 federal emission warranty that also covers the cats and if you live in California it also covers the PCM.

To the OP...............

N dropping it evn by mistake was your fault and will kill a auto trans real fast so place the blame on yourself please.

Oh and I'll give you $1600 for it right now........................

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Maybe you pissed somebody off at the correctional facility you work at and that person cast a spell against you with the Jeep Gods?:D

Just Kidding!!!:D

All kidding aside...
Transmissions die!
Just like every other component of a motor vehicle.

Sometimes it is only one part at a time that fails and other times several components let go at the same time!
Usually when you can barely afford one repair, thats when all heck breaks loose and several key components let fly!

Enough to make a grown man pull out his hair and jump up and down and scream!

Thats when I want to grab the Remington 870 Pistol grip and pump several rounds into the vehicle that I have an immediate hate on for!

Sh_t breaks down and needs to be repaired or replaced!
That's how it is!

At the end of the day, it is more economical to have the parts repaired or replaced, than it is to go out and replace the whole vehicle with a new one!

Just think of all the interest you will save in the long run if you keep your existing KJ opposed to purchasing a "New vehicle"!

Just the interest alone would be enough to build a half way decent "Buget" Solid front Axle conversion!

Besides... Owing the bank sixteen Large for the KJ you have...

Nuff said!

Cheers
Ry'

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score

...and for '06, the 3/36 was all that was available from Chrysler...they had dropped the 7/70, and the Lifetime wasn't offered until late '06.

ThunderbirdJunkie is angry. His 139,000 mile KJ has needed an oil change and an upper balljoint in the past month! Piece of junk!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Are you sure about this? My 06 was in the shop and they thought the PCM was bad but said it was covered on the 8 year 80k powertrain warranty.
The only way that is possible...

1. Your Jeep originally had a first owner.
2. Your Jeep was certified used, and in the process, was given a 8 year, 80k Powertrain Warranty. I too had an '06 Liberty and there was NO Powertrain Warranty.
3. A service contract was purchased, and I do not believe Chrysler has an 8/80 to purchase.