Yay I broke my transmission.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not possible since ones a 5 speed and the other is a 6 speed.

How is it not possible if 99-00 WJs had the 45RFE and flashed them to become a 545RFE?
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209517

Ok, read the thread and tell me that the 45RFE is not mechanically the same as the 545RFE (except for a few upgraded parts that were installed in a certain year).

Think about this for a minute, 99-00 WJs had the 45RFE and 2001 WJs had a 545RFE while 02-03 KJs had the 45RFE. After the TCM flash was performed on a WJ the 45RFE became a 545RFE (the first number indicates software), so how come the KJs 45RFE is different than the WJ 45RFE???

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is it not possible if 99-00 WJs had the 45RFE and flashed them to become a 545RFE?
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209517

Ok, read the thread and tell me that the 45RFE is not mechanically the same as the 545RFE (except for a few upgraded parts that were installed in a certain year).

Think about this for a minute, 99-00 WJs had the 45RFE and 2001 WJs had a 545RFE while 02-03 KJs had the 45RFE. After the TCM flash was performed on a WJ the 45RFE became a 545RFE (the first number indicates software), so how come the KJs 45RFE is different than the WJ 45RFE???
That only unlocks the 2nd prime in normal shifting,there not getting the 2nd overdrive.If you research a bit there are 3 different versions of the 45RFE also.

Oh and the 1st few #'s are not the programming software.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That only unlocks the 2nd prime in normal shifting,there not getting the 2nd overdrive.

No, they are getting a second OD. This is a pretty hot topic over on the WJ forums.

Reread the thread that I posted a link to above, it's pretty clear that they have 2nd OD added.

The 45RFE doesn't work like you think, it has 3 planetary gear sets, each planetary gear is capable of 3 gears. 3X3=9, so 9 gears are available (this has been verified by a guy on the dodge forums that had created what he called the "black box"). Simply changing which clutches are activated can change the gear ratios.

I find it hard to disagree with a person who has the user name, Moparman, but I think that you are confusing things now. True that all the clutch packs and gears are the same in both the 45RFE and the 545RFE, but the '01 models and up have the 545RFE with two (2) OD (0.75:1 and 0.67:1) combinations, which, for us less technical people, are referred to as 4th and 5th gears. If the TSB computer flashes are done, then the '99/'00 model 45RFE, with only the 0.75:1 OD initially, acquires the addition of the 0.67:1 OD and effectively becomes a 545RFE.

I had this performed to my Jeep about 6 months ago. It made a big difference. Better mileage and the ride is much quieter on the highway. It dropped about 500RPM when cruising at 75mph.

About the programming... the gears are physically there. I'm not sure why they waited until the '01's to make this change if it already had the correct setup?

Technically the difference is:

Your '00 WJ with the 45RFE has a "fourth" gear that is an overdrive with a ratio of 0.75:1

After the computer flash the transmission becomes a 545RFE with an additional gear, a "fifth" gear that is also an overdrive gear with a ratio of 0.67:1.

That is about a 10% drop in the final gear ratio, and while it is not that large, it would be worth it to me (but, fortunately, I already have it).

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Just makes no sense that a car MFR would put the same transmission in two different vehicles, and call one 45RFE and the other 545RFE just because you can get the 5th gear out of the other one. If it's there, there should always be a way to get it, a switch, or whatever...

That black box, yeah, I read about how people hook them up to manually program (shift) their transmissions to gear ratios they want, and with 3 planetary gears, you got nine. You also have to take into consideration, that with the LOCKUP clutch, you can get a more variation in the gears with 1st and 2nd too. I mentioned before, I did this with my former GEO tracker, manually locking it up with a switch, in 1st and 2nd. The car stalls if you lock it up, idling in 1st gear, or forget it's on and come to a stop, heh heh...

If you have a 45RFE, you should be able to say, HEY, I want the 5th gear, so lay it on me... I have seen a column lever with a switch that has HAUL/TOW on it, that must do something with the transmission as well...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As for the 545RFE, the tow haul locks out OD and holds the gears longer I believe....I know it says in the Durango manual....

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just makes no sense that a car MFR would put the same transmission in two different vehicles, and call one 45RFE and the other 545RFE just because you can get the 5th gear out of the other one. If it's there, there should always be a way to get it, a switch, or whatever...

Hey, I don't work for Chrysler so I wouldn't know why they did that.

There is a guy on lost who turned his 45RFE into a 545RFE, but since the site is down I can not show the thread to you.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I don't work for Chrysler so I wouldn't know why they did that.

There is a guy on lost who turned his 45RFE into a 545RFE, but since the site is down I can not show the thread to you.
Yeah and he confirmed that he did not get the 2nd OD,he just unlocked the 2nd prime.I remember that thread.

The 45RFE and 545RFE are very similar but they are not the same and no programming is not the only difference.

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Danoid over on LOST is a Chrysler transmission engineer - he explained that it was originally designed as a 4 speed - and they figured out after the fact that they could make it a 5 speed.
And yes there are different part numbers - but the different part numbers assemble in the same clusters as the old part numbers - if you check a parts manual - they didn't even change the diagrams, they're the same.
If you look at the Scribd link that Powerslave posted - it's a Chrysler transmission manual titled 45RFE/545REF - and through the entire rebuild sequence there is no distinction, they're the same.
The difference is the programming.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Danoid over on LOST is a Chrysler transmission engineer - he explained that it was originally designed as a 4 speed - and they figured out after the fact that they could make it a 5 speed.
And yes there are different part numbers - but the different part numbers assemble in the same clusters as the old part numbers - if you check a parts manual - they didn't even change the diagrams, they're the same.
If you look at the Scribd link that Powerslave posted - it's a Chrysler transmission manual titled 45RFE/545REF - and through the entire rebuild sequence there is no distinction, they're the same.
The difference is the programming.
Yeah and then your all going to say the 68RFE is the same as the 45RFE or 545RFE(same case pretty much also)(dunno)

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no the 68 is different - although gmctd is trying to figure out if he can fit one in a CRD

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow/Haul on the 545rfe locks out 5th and it seems like thats it. It may also change the shift points a little but its hard to tell. It also locks out MDS on the hemi's that have it. It only raises the RPMS a few hundred or so, its nothing like the kj when you lock 4th out.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah and then your all going to say the 68RFE is the same as the 45RFE or 545RFE(same case pretty much also)(dunno)

So would one be able to bolt a 68RFE in place of a 45RFE? Or, do what the drag racers back in the day did and fill a 727 with 904 guts, only 68RFE guts into a 45RFE case?

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
The basic design and operation is the same or similar to the 45 and 545RFE counterparts. If you could customize your own TCM programming, you can get NINE gears with lockup, from a 45RFE, 545RFE, and 68RFE. The 68RFE simply expands on the clutch engagement pattern to achieve the 6th gear. Could not find that pattern like I did with the 45, and 545.

The differences are: There is no 2nd gear prime for downshifting like the 45 and 545RFE transmissions. Physically, it has a larger bell housing, different bolt pattern, and cutout; and modified internal components (basically upgraded) to handle the increased torque of diesel engine. Revised gear ratios, and TCM programming for the larger application. On the 68RFE, FOURTH gear is used for limp-in instead of SECOND and THIRD as on the 45, and the 545.

Is it the same transmission? Basically, yes, just a newer 2007 revision, with the larger bell housing, so I doubt this would fit in the Liberty because of the bell housing, but, anyone who machines could fashion an adapter plate.

So, what is the Aisin AS68RC?