Yay I broke my transmission.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not exactly sure how I did it but my transmission will not recognize it is in reverse. Today I was trying to back up a slight incline and I didn't realize I wasn't totally in R. I was revved at about 3K when I popped my trans into reverse and gave it a bit more gas by mistake. Well, I hit redline, some smoke came out of my ****** and and now when I shift into reverse I get nothing. I can rev the engine but nothing happens. My forward gears are fine. What the heck.

Any ideas??
If I toasted the entire ****** then:
Can I get a 45RFE or 545RFE and put that in as a direct swap.
Can I get a 42rle from a Wrangler or another Mopar vehicle that uses it.
If not must it be the 2006 42RLE.

I am getting rid of this POS Liberty. ASAP. In the last month I lost a regulator, a radiator, and a transmission. WTF, OVER!!!!!!!!!!

you need a new valve body.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disagree. I've done atleast 10 neutral drops revving up to 4k and never had a problem. Maybe I just don't have a POS ******?

Have you done them in reverse though??

****** shop is thinking I toasted the reverse clutches. They recommend a rebuild and a TransGo shift kit for $2500 total. They claim that the transmission will be stronger than it was stock. Are there parts available that will facilitate this??

I know it is my fault but damn, it seems like the ****** should be able to withstand something like a time or two without breaking.

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Read a post here or on lost someone did TC and shift kit.....might of been diesel though.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree. I've done atleast 10 neutral drops revving up to 4k and never had a problem. Maybe I just don't have a POS ******?

Uh

Why in the hell would you do that?

Good luck...if you can't afford a lift...how are you going to afford to replace your transmission?

...kids these days...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Guy in high school would always do that to his liberty too. I was also curious if you had ever done it in R. Why dont you go try that and get back to us?? :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP is talking about R........In Reverse you did this with no drama??? I don't believe it.

In any event, even if you are doing this in Drive, you are just abusing your jeep.

Dave

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know. Not that I condone what he does but is it our business to judge how he treats his Jeep. It may pain us but it is his Jeep after all. He can abuse it as he sees fit. Just don't help him when he blows his transmission. He does provide a valuable service to some of us. He shows us where the limits are.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't pain ThunderbirdJunkie...it ain't his ride home.

Just kind of makes him wonder about how some people were brought up is all.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but really, abusing your ride hurts only your wallet. Oh and as far as how he was brought up, Abusing your jeep is fairly tame considering what he could be abusing.

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you're right...but a neutral drop is a neutral drop, rain or not, the transmission knows no different.

Just thinking...why the hell would you do that?

Reaction score
Its fun?
I figured if it were raining and the roads were slick the ****** wouldn't have to work as hard to get the tires to spin because there would be less traction making it easier to spin the wheels.

ummm that doesnt make sense. if you had a manual, like me, you could spin them alot easier. but if you think about it: your putting stress on alot of the parts and your shortening your tire life. im just saying, i dont do too much to my jeep, hard driving wise, and i have **** break all the time. common stuff. and its expensive when it all adds up.

any way, midnight, you should fix it. i have wanted to get rid of mine several times when it broke for big money. its just not worth it. every vehicle has problems. atleast you have people on lost and jkj to help you work them out.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm all for making raw power every once in a while-just in drive!:D

And the occasional smokey burnout with my Durango is fun too....rofl2.gif

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just like that kid back when I was 18 except I wouldn't N drop an auto, a stick yes but never an auto. Except in reverse and on accident. He will learn eventually $$$. Besides, worst case scenario we can buy his spare parts if and when he destroys his Jeep.
Oh and my ****** it's a 4800426AA.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heading up to Auburn Car Repair and Off Road tomorrow. Someday next week I will be getting a special transmission that has not only 4 forward gears but also 1 reverse gear. mj.gif mj.gif Will be driving the Liberty about 90 miles from Aberdeen to Auburn. Wish me luck. Total cost for transmission and install will be about $1500. 1 year, 15k mile warranty.

Auburn Car Repair and Offroad.