y-pipe and flowmaster or frankenlift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
ok my next check is going to be huge so what should i get? the y-pipe fixed and a flowmaster super 44 or the frankenlift?

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd get the exhaust fixed first. Look at it this way, you are going to have to fix the exhaust eventually, so do the mechanically important stuff first.

I guess another way to look at it is, if you already had the lift you may not have crushed your y pipe in the first place.:p

Reaction score
well could the y pipe be causing my rpms to act funny. when i am going the rpms are fine but when i push the clutch and start to shift, they go up like 500 then go down to where their supposed to be

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't know about that, but it could. Depends on how badly the pipe is crushed. I seen the pics you posted when it happened, to me it looked about half the diameter the pipe should be. If thats the case, then yeah, it may cause more back pressure in the engine and cause an RPM fluxuation.

Thats why I would get the mechanical side looked after, before lifting it.

Nothin worse than looking at your rig sitting in the driveway, and it won't start......the day after getting a new set of rims:rolleyes:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
No matter what you do, fix the y-pipe first.

Just my opinion.

Dave

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get the lift
exhausts are for show any way
as long as it is not running hot and you can deal with the noise then lift it
besides with a lift fixing the exhaust is easier

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fix the Y-pipe first(is effecting your mpg's and valves/engine seals),then get proper skids to protect your under body,then you can worry about lifting it.

General rule to modding a Jeep......

1) Armor it fully(skids and rails)
2) Tow points F/R
The next few can be done in any order or all at once.......
3) Lift
4) Lockers and gears
5) Tires

Protect vital components first and have proper recorvery points before anything else,but of course get all mechanical work done before modding,no use having a busted Jeep and putting mods on it and not getting to use them.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fix the Y-pipe first(is effecting your mpg's and valves/engine seals),then get proper skids to protect your under body,then you can worry about lifting it.

General rule to modding a Jeep......

1) Armor it fully(skids and rails)
2) Tow points F/R
The next few can be done in any order or all at once.......
3) Lift
4) Lockers and gears
5) Tires

Protect vital components first and have proper recorvery points before anything else,but of course get all mechanical work done before modding,no use having a busted Jeep and putting mods on it and not getting to use them.

I'd follow his advice. When it comes to wheeling, he knows his ****. Spend a couple hundred on skids and the exhaust now or spend thousands later when that rock you didn't see sneaks up and yanks out the transfer case.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do the Y-pipe and start peicing together an OME lift hold off on the flowmaster, all its gonna really do is make it sound better

2003KJ

Reaction score
For what seems like the 5th time this has come up, fix the freakin exhaust already. Or keep driving it like it is and get your lift. When you destroy the engine, atleast you'll have a pretty lifted boat anchor to look at in the driveway.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely fix your y-pipe first before it causes any damage (if it hasn't already). A new muffler is not necessary unless it cracked or dented. Follow tjkj's advice and get some skids first and recovery points. Search the for sale section on here and LOST for some parts.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Didn't he just say that he was going to fix the Y-Pipe? I don't understand the whole big deal on repeating anything. It was the first thing he mentioned...

Dave08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fix y-pipe, forget flowmaster... (wait till later... and a 44 is gonna be a loud SOB in cabin fyi), lift, align

I just did a OME HD lift, LT Revo's, and lifetime alignement. For about 1500 bucks. My SRA's still had 1/2 tread at 65000, but they were terrible to drive with. My lift and tires made the ride better and SO much more controlled.

I have a Aeroturbine 2525, got it at 110 bucks, sure it sounds nice... but not too much of a increase in mpg, power etc.

And with a franky, I gotta believe a 245/70 w/ some wear is gonna look tiny anyway. My Revo's are 30.8" and look perfect w/ a ome HD + one 1/8" clevis lift. With a franky sitting 1.25" taller up front w/ a 29.5" or smaller tire.... Eh little small.

So I may be the only one but... I'd go

Y PIPE!!
skids
Work on keeping it up
husky liners so you don't have to carry a box for your muddy boots or have your co worker ruin your carpet(they work great for a drink holder)
Save another 2-2.5 grand
Lift
Tires
Align

Reaction score
i have front and rear tow hooks. y pipe will be done in one week. as far as skids go i dont do enough to get them before a lift. i also want some new tires, arb's front and rear bumpers, lockers, and a few more lights.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of ARBs rear bumper? Don't think so as they do not make one for the KJ.
Now on to skids " I don't do enough to get them before a lift" I know you have went a few times already and once is enough to warrant skids. Grandma always said to wear clean underware when you went out, theres a reason she said that and also a reason to get skids NOW. Just think if you would of had skids before now you may not have to replace your y pipe.

repair that Y pipe already
then skids before you tear up something else
lift if you want
tires
lights,(not sure why) bumpers etc once you really know what you are doing

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of ARBs rear bumper? Don't think so as they do not make one for the KJ.
Now on to skids " I don't do enough to get them before a lift" I know you have went a few times already and once is enough to warrant skids. Grandma always said to wear clean underware when you went out, theres a reason she said that and also a reason to get skids NOW. Just think if you would of had skids before now you may not have to replace your y pipe.

repair that Y pipe already
then skids before you tear up something else
lift if you want
tires
lights,(not sure why) bumpers etc once you really know what you are doing

Best advice yet