y-pipe and flowmaster or frankenlift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i went to midas and the y pipe will be $75. now i need some advice. i want a lift. it wont happen this time but i want one. with the frankenlift 1, is it a full lift or are there any spacers? what do you guys thinks of this kit? http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_liberty_3.html

also this kit. http://www.rocky-road.com/kjsus.html

and finally what skids do i need? i know i have and engine skid and a gas tank skid and i think a transmission skid. what one goes where the y pipe is?

http://jeepinbyal.com/cat-Skid_Plates-23.aspx

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a transmission skid for the ****** area. On the 04 you must drill your own holes in the tcase/****** crossmember for the skid to work.

Reaction score
for $81 and some change the y-pipe was fixed

You must be registered for see images attach

i get 18.6 mpg now and my horse power and torque have come back.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you finally got that darn thing fixed,looks like you were cutting off about 50% of your flow there.

By the way who welded that pipe in?

Becuase they need to learn how to weld!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
one of the guys at midas. the piece he put on was 17 inches and the piece he cut out was 14 inches. with welding like that the flowmaster will be put on by some one else. now while i was there i had my brakes checked. my back rotors are 468 and 471 and the fronts are 1094 and 1092. the pads are damn near gone so im getting breakes tomorrow morning. a grand total of $606.84

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of the guys at midas. the piece he put on was 17 inches and the piece he cut out was 14 inches. with welding like that the flowmaster will be put on by some one else. now while i was there i had my brakes checked. my back rotors are 468 and 471 and the fronts are 1094 and 1092. the pads are damn near gone so im getting breakes tomorrow morning. a grand total of $606.84
For $600 you better be getting PowerSlot F/R rotors and ceramic pads all around,actually it's less then $600 for 4 PowerSlot rotors and 2 sets of ceramic pads.Do the brakes yourself,they are super easy,and save yourself some money.You only need a few basic metric wrenches to do the brakes and being 4 wheel discs should only take about 1 hour and most of that time is jacking up the KJ(and placing on jack stands) and removing the wheels.

Reaction score
i suck at that stuff. im going to become a mechanic. until then my olny mode of transportation will be worked on by people who know what the heck their doing ( not saying you dont. i dont). my mom is paying for the new rotors since she ruined them. i had to stop hard today because some guy pulled out and his car died. i pushed the pedal all the way down and took like 3 seconds to come to an almost stop from 45 mph.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suggestion - if you're interested in learning to do repairs and maintenance yourself, either take autoshop in high school (but I think you just graduated, right?), or sign up for a class at your local community college.

Sure, the class will be a few hundred bucks, but look - that brake job alone woulda broke even on that if you knew how to do it yourself.

Just some friendly advice.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought slotted rotors were bad for off roading
Not at all,it's the drilled rotors that can cause problems.

And like Atrus said it's a great time to start learning to be a mechanic if that's what you want to do.Get a Haynes or Chiltons manual and go from there,basic maintance is covered pretty good in those manuals.If you want to go to a good automotive school I'd be checking out WYO Tech,they are the best and have many different courses to choose from.
http://www.wyotech.edu/

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed on Wyotech-like school if you're set on being a mechanic. No offense, but how do you know you want to be a mechanic if you don't know how to do these things? You may hate it. In that case, I recommend hooking up with a buddy who knows and having him/her show you, or taking a community college/high school class like I mentioned. It'll give you a good foundation at a cheap price.

Tuition surely isn't cheap (I am paying $475 a credit hour right now for my master's), so just be sure it's what you'd want to do before sinking time and money into school just to determine you don't want to do that anymore. Trust me, I wasted about $20k and 3+ years in the engineering program before I decided accounting was my calling.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
You should learn how to work on your KJ - it can seriously save you a TON of money... and its a good learning experience too.

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're gonna pay for that hack job welding job? I wouldnt.

And does the $600 for brakes include the ky jelly or do you have to bring your own?

Reaction score
noone else would touch the y-pipe for less than 200. i have a friend who took the auto class at mckenzie career center. he has an internship now at the GM dealership. i've always wanted to be able to do stuff with my car but i didnt want to mess anything up. i want to design vehicles for chrysler/dodge/jeep. i want to work on them first

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Brakes are a piece of cake. At most you're looking at just a few bolts once the wheels are off. It really is a remove and replace operation.

I was scared as heck when I needed to replace my rears (at 21k miles!!!) but it wasn't difficult at all!

Reaction score
its there getting done right now. since my mom drove the rotors down to the stopping power of bicycle brakes, shes paying for them. and im paying for the pads. i do have a question though. with the hella 500's, what is the plastic crap under the bumper and is it connected to the airbags?

Members online

No members online now.