XJ Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The previous owner had installed brake pads over some completely trashed rotors. I don't get it, rotors are like $35 from NAPA retail.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm want one of your bumpers, but I have spent this months allowance. I have a friend that lives up that way that visits often. I will get one from you this spring and let him pick it up.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The previous owner had installed brake pads over some completely trashed rotors. I don't get it, rotors are like $35 from NAPA retail.

For some people thats a complete brake job, just throw on a set of pads . Back when all i did was alignments and brake jobs had several people tell me rotors never wore out since they were metal. I was ripping them off installing new ones :happy175: Same way with new hardware cheap insurance to just go ahead and replace them as well

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep that simple if you don't have the UCAs in place already :happy175:
But if you do, its a whole other ball game then:icon_lol:

I had the UCA's out..but my LCA didn't fall nearly enough to do what he does in the vid. I was alone in the shop and another set of hands would have helped. A video of me wrestling with that would have been pretty funny.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know I saw a pic somewhere and a guy had taken a ratchet strap and tied it around the clevis and pulled it inward to get things to line up. I might try that.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yea unbolting the sway bar makes it much easier. I got the whole assembled strut to go in. The upper ball joint broke before the nut came off. Had cut it out..that was fun. Thank goodness for cordless recip saws. I adjusted on the preload nuts until I got to 2 1/2 inches of lift.. I am assuming that's how you adjust the springs.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know I saw a pic somewhere and a guy had taken a ratchet strap and tied it around the clevis and pulled it inward to get things to line up. I might try that.

That's the best way to do it. Makes it nice and easy :waytogo:

Bob

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lift kit installed. Wow what a dramatic difference. Tires and alignment on Friday. So I sit at about $5700 with the adjustable strut lift kit and the engine work and the new tires and the cost of the Liberty. $5570 is Kelly Blue Book on a stock Renegade buying from an individual, $6968 from a dealer. Not a bad deal all around.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just wait until you get a good alignment and it will really be a world of difference from stock

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear what you find out about this. Mine has an intermittent AB light when it's warm out. Been doing it for about a year and can't seem to find anything amiss. :shrug:

The airbag light was bad contacts on the bag.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Its parked...when you can see the alignment is off...you know its bad.

Yep seen plenty right after , thats why I had a good alignment shop 2 miles away, get em lifted and straight up the road :icon_lol:
They can be like driving on ice almost before an alignment :thumbsdown:

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep seen plenty right after , thats why I had a good alignment shop 2 miles away, get em lifted and straight up the road :icon_lol:
They can be like driving on ice almost before an alignment :thumbsdown:
I am so ready to get those flatspotted, mismatched maypop tires off it too. In fact one did pop on the trip home when I bought it. Of course the lugs were crusty and one rounded off. This was a repo that sat up for over a year. I have not driven very far yet because I was so afraid of the tires.

Last edited:

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good and drives great. Had a scare...water in the right floorboard, ended up being a stopped up A/C drain. This is the first time I have really gotten to drive it. I can tell with the bigger tires it could really stand to be regeared. I won't do that until I can do lockers. Guess my next quest is a seat. Also bumpers are on my short list. Now do I sell my trusty old XJ?

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it from an old fool who sold both a lifted/Detroit-locked CJ-7 and a lifted/Trac-Locked XJ that were both paid off...plan to KEEP any pre-Fiat Jeep because:

1. Monthly car payments are stupid.
2. Nothing builds self-reliance and confidence like working on your own vehicle.
3. Parts and advice from more-experienced Jeep owners are both readily available.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Liberty is paid for so that's not an issue, but that XJ has been really good to me. Its the one vehicle that always seems to run. It could use some TLC, the rear leafs are pretty sacked out but like your old one its lifted with a trac-lock, slip joint eliminator with a Woody's drive shaft and it has possibly one of the last Rock Lizard front bumpers made for a XJ.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.