Working on 2004 Renegade KJ. 3.7 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clampet

Reaction score
Dear KJ Commuity,
I'm working on my brothers KJ next week and looking for advice on what to inspect and repair and replace. The rig has 120,000 mile and has been regularly had preventive maintenance done since new per schedule and oil every approx. 3,000 miles. It has had a trans rebuild at 72,000 miles, AC compressor and evaporator at 109,000 miles, We are working on the following next week, the passenger side valve cover gasket, the high pressure steer hose, and front brakes and maybe rotors, Lower Font ball joints. Any suggestions on what else to replace while digging into these jobs, also the cat needs to be replace but we don't have emission inspections here so we forgo that one for a while, and oxidation on the hood, black paint.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Dear KJ Commuity,
I'm working on my brothers KJ next week and looking for advice on what to inspect and repair and replace. The rig has 120,000 mile and has been regularly had preventive maintenance done since new per schedule and oil every approx. 3,000 miles. It has had a trans rebuild at 72,000 miles, AC compressor and evaporator at 109,000 miles, We are working on the following next week, the passenger side valve cover gasket, the high pressure steer hose, and front brakes and maybe rotors, Lower Font ball joints. Any suggestions on what else to replace while digging into these jobs, also the cat needs to be replace but we don't have emission inspections here so we forgo that one for a while, and oxidation on the hood, black paint.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Has the transfer case and diffs been changed as well ( fluid wise?)
Cooling system flushed and filled with HOAT coolant?
Spark plugs replaced every 30,000 with copper core plugs?
As far as oxidation on the hood , has he not waxed it / taken care of the paint? My 04 has over 218,000 miles, and paint on hood still looks new ( except for rock chips and brush scratches)
Everything you mention is fairly easy repairs so should not be an issue

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
I noticed you mentioned the front brakes how are the rears/e-brake shoes/hardware etc?
Refer to the fluid specifications in the owners manual, Kj's got particular requirements.
Got a photo of the hood?

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
I noticed you mentioned the front brakes how are the rears/e-brake shoes/hardware etc?
Refer to the fluid specifications in the owners manual, Kj's got particular requirements.
Got a photo of the hood?

These. Little while back I went to do the hydraulic brakes on my Charger and discovered the parking brake shoes were GONE. You said the cat needs replacing, is it just shot or is it plugged? If it's plugged you want to do that sooner rather than later...

Latest posts

Members online