Windshield Washer Fluid Heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about everyone else, but my biggest complaint about my KJ in it's current form is that the windshield washer fluid is unusable below about 25 F. I've actually had to pull off to the side of the interstate and pour washer fluid on the windshield to be able to drive. This is even with the -25 Rain-X fluid. I have to spray the windshield with Prestone Ice and Frost Sheild every night when it's going to be cold right now and I don't like having to spray something poisonous on my windshield that often.

I just found this:

http://www.windshieldwiperheaters.com/index.htm

I was wondering if anyone had tried this, or something similar. Looks like it could be the solution to my problem.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never had any problem with the washer after the jeep runs for about 10-15minutes. It heats up the entire hood melts any ice accumulation. I don't know if it would damage the sprays but a little salty water mix with wash may help, or may not...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Don't let salt water get onto the paint...very bad on wax and clear coat...

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somebody here had something called "the hot shot" maybe that'll work

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had any problem with the washer after the jeep runs for about 10-15minutes. It heats up the entire hood melts any ice accumulation. I don't know if it would damage the sprays but a little salty water mix with wash may help, or may not...

I'm trying to remember if I had this problem before the fiberglass hood. It doesn't heat up nearly as much as the factory hood.

somebody here had something called "the hot shot" maybe that'll work

That's the one I have in the link.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't let salt water get onto the paint...very bad on wax and clear coat...

I have coat of salt on my jeep whenever it snows here in NY, so getting salt on my paint is least of my worry... it is unfortunately unavoidable..

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong here but wouldn't putting hot fluid on a cold windshield be a bad idea?:confused: I've had a similar problem with my fluid freezing the past few days. I have had to let my Jeep sit in the sun to thaw it the past 2 days. Would relocating the bottle to under the hood be a viable option?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine froze up once so far. Going 70 on the interstate and it is 10 degrees out and the washer fluid is supposed to be good for -25 degrees and it freezes anyway. After the KJ sat in the garage all night it was working the next day fine. I think it is partly my fault for not switching to the winter fluin soon enough and I got a mix of the summer fluid and the winter fluid in there and then it got too cold.

I don't know if that fluid heater is good or not and I don't know anyone that has one.

Dave

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the fluid heaters either, sorry - but I also can't recall having any issues with the system freezing up.

Although, much of the washer fluid sold up here is rated to -40 (which, coincidentally or not is the same in F and C!) or more, so that might make a difference.

When the weather and vehicle/windshield is extremely cold however it does have a tendency to freeze on the windshield until you get it warmed up a bit, so I could see a warmed fluid being helpful in that respect.

And yes, salt is unavoidable up here too! :mad:

You must be registered for see images attach

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I generally have some left over Smirnoff 100 proof Vodka from the night before, and about 6 ounces in washer tank makes the Kj feel real good too!drunk.gif

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
1 million Russians just rolled in their graves at your sacrilege! lol3.gif

... actually they may applaud your innovation :D

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Prestone stuff is good for -35F. So you guys should try that instead of the rain-x stuff.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the freezing issue also but it kinda comes and goes at random??
usually 10 mins of highway driving when below 25F it goes out but the next day its usually fine...
I just emptied it and refilled with -25F fluid when i was mounting my new tires since it wouldn't unfreeze for over a week.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
:eek: I'm surprised you don't wake to find livestock licking at your quarter panels ..rollinglaugh.gif

Haha! Something sounds slightly wrong with that statement... But yeah I could probably scrape off the Jeep and the car and have enough to salt my own driveway! :D

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I generally have some left over Smirnoff 100 proof Vodka from the night before, and about 6 ounces in washer tank makes the Kj feel real good too!drunk.gif

Just make sure you don't wash your window while driving through a police spot check... ;)

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here you go, if that freezes you're doing something wrong! ;)

(that's -56.2*F)

You must be registered for see images attach