Windshield Washer Fluid Heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually usually just run the regular green stuff from Canadian Tire, it's rated to -45 C. Usually buy it in the case of 4 when it's on sale! I hate when you run out on the road and have to pay 6 bucks at a gas station!

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I use it when I can get to CTire, but then I don't drive (squirt) nearly as much as you do and I don't want to ever need to worry about freezing up sitting in the garage.

What is with my suggestive posts today:confused:

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use it when I can get to CTire, but then I don't drive (squirt) nearly as much as you do and I don't want to ever need to worry about freezing up sitting in the garage.

What is with my suggestive posts today:confused:

Haha... reminds me of when someone posts "strange sounds from my rear end"... there was one like that recently, I swear...

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prestone De-Icer washer fluid, run it in both vehicles in the winter never a problem. Give it ten minutes on a cold morning to let it get warmed up first, otherwise if your in a real hurry get this stuff. Its the same as the Prestone you can get in a spray bottle, contains MEK and works like a charm.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha... reminds me of when someone posts "strange sounds from my rear end"... there was one like that recently, I swear...

Yep there was, and i was the first comment on it, told him he should cut back on the chili or eat a lighter diet for a while....

LMAO

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Today before I came to work it was at 0 deg. F. There was a frozen fog and my windshield was iced over. Started the Jeep, waited about 5 seconds, and hit the windshield washer. No problemo. I run this generic melter windshield fluid I got at Target and it works fine.

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today before I came to work it was at 0 deg. F. There was a frozen fog and my windshield was iced over. Started the Jeep, waited about 5 seconds, and hit the windshield washer. No problemo. I run this generic melter windshield fluid I got at Target and it works fine.

I was going to post something similar. I've never had a problem except for the stuff freezing on the windshield. But that's when it is in the single digits and I'm going down the road quickly. When it is cold, you need to make sure your windshield is warmed up by having the hot air blowing on it with Def. If you don't the windshield will freeze up for sure. I even crack the window so I can have the blower on fast and the heat cranked.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I just returned a "Hotshot" windshield washer fluid heater to the store it came from!
A gift I don't need!
$35.00 towards something else for the KJ!
The main reason I got rid of it is because if your windshield so much as has a small
rock chip in it, the 150° F fluid will cause it to form a nasty crack!
Besides, I wrapped/coiled a meter of silicone tubing around the radiator hose(and covered it with aluminium muffler tape to keep the heat in.) and spliced it into my washer fluid hose. That does the same thing for about $6.00!

Last edited:

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my washers freeze up constantly....but i just bought it used so who knows what fluid is in it. for all i know, they could have topped it off with water (it is blue though.)

i just dumped some prestone de-icer in it, and when it is working, i'm trying to squirt as much fluid through so as to get the prestone mixed in.

heck, i even park in a garage (attached, but unheated,) and sometimes they are still frozen when i get going. i'm guessing it's just a nature of the design for this jeep.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that, if the reservoir is frozen, this add-on wouldn't help much, being external to it. If the nozzles/line are frozen, what good is 150-degree fluid three feet behind a line full of ice? Am I missing the point?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my washers freeze up constantly....but i just bought it used so who knows what fluid is in it. for all i know, they could have topped it off with water (it is blue though.)

i just dumped some prestone de-icer in it, and when it is working, i'm trying to squirt as much fluid through so as to get the prestone mixed in.

heck, i even park in a garage (attached, but unheated,) and sometimes they are still frozen when i get going. i'm guessing it's just a nature of the design for this jeep.

If yours are freezing in central Ohio right now, you have water in there, at least mostly water. I have the same setup as you (attached garage unheated) and mine have NEVER froze on me. I just use whatever blue stuff the store has, I always have. I bet if I kept it outside it wouldn't freeze. Actually it sits outside at work all day and no problems. I'm right over here in Indiana, so the weather is about the same as yours.

I bet the same goes for the OP too. That or the pump is damaged in some way. You have water in there, or too much water. OR maybe there is something wrong with the pump.

I like your idea Ryan. If I lived in Canada I would definitely do that. I don't need to do it here in Indiana and I definitely would NOT need to do it in Kentucky.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never had mine freeze up here in ky. Coldest Ive ever really used them in is the 20's though. Had one of the nozzles freeze up on the WK the other day(20F) but it has the regular blue stuff that came from the factory in it.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just returned a "Hotshot" windshield washer fluid heater to the store it came from!
A gift I don't need!
The main reason I got rid of it is because if your windshield so much as has a small
Besides, I wrapped/coiled a meter of silicone tubing around the radiator hose(and covered it with aluminium muffler tape to keep the heat in.) and spliced it into my washer fluid hose. That does the same thing for about $6.00!

That's a nifty idea, I might have to try that! :)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A gift I don't need!

Now thats using your noodle!! Good solution!

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fluid in the reservoir isn't freezing, and neither does the nozzle for the back glass. It seems to only be the front nozzles that freeze up. If you try to get it to spray for too long it comes out the back.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
It seems to only be the front nozzles that freeze up. If you try to get it to spray for too long it comes out the back.

That happened a lot on another vehicle I had (when parked outside).. the only thing I could do to limit it was make sure i sprayed them before I shut the car off for the night to try and limit the amount of moisture getting in the nozzle and freezing. Seemed to work a little :(

Latest posts

Members online