Why do KJ Rotors warp so easily

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
I don't know the full extent of my kj's maintenance history but I do know the brakes. (Pads and rotors) are fairly new. I have heard of others having this issue, but does anybody know why?

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the full extent of my kj's maintenance history but I do know the brakes. (Pads and rotors) are fairly new. I have heard of others having this issue, but does anybody know why?

Because they were replaced with el cheapo off shore chinese steel imitators?

Mine have 128K Kms (75ishK miles) and still run true. I will replace them before summer is out. Put a caliper on them the other day and they are near the end of their service life. Not bad though, five years and that many miles. On my second set of pads all around.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still running OEM rotors and pads at 47,8xx miles. No problems. Mostly all highway driving.

Reasons for warping with any rotor could be what ptsb said (cheap rotors) or having them turned instead of replacing them. Material is taken off the rotors when they are turned making them thinner and they don't dissepitate heat as well and could warp easier. If you change them don't have them turned and use good quality rotors. (and pads)

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ brakes right from the factory are soft rotors and ceramic pads.This combo stops well and is noise free.Start riding the brakes hard and the rotors will warp fast.

Plus those rotors bought at advance auto,autozone,and checkers are made in China which is not the greatest steel in the world.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched a bit and found a good article.

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/articlearchive/details.aspx?ID=207857

I thought I read before that rotors don't actually warp. Even the way you tighten the lugs can play a factor. I never knew that. Makes sense that only good steel would make a good rotor. Bad steel usually means it is inconsistent, so in turn you would get inconsistent wear on a rotor with bad steel aka china rotors.

Joe W

Reaction score
Back rotors rusted at 23k with front ones on the way.....I'm not pleased...07 KJ bought new.....Joe

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
142,000 miles
stock rotors and no warping
I have access to a Brake lathe and sanded/polished them ( did not turn them down they were still true) when I replaced the stock brakes ( fronts at 99,000, rears at 135,000)
Riding the brakes or stopping fast all the time will heat up and warp the rotors, along with turning them down.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rotors were bad twice at only 65k.
City driving messes up the rotors on KJ for some reason, most of you probably ride long distances with minimal break application. The factory brakes were the best, but once someone plays with them, they are nowhere near OEM.

KJedmonton

Reaction score

This is what mine looked like after 140000 KM's. Same issue as U and was not to sure of the maintenance HX, but I am guessing the old owner was ******* the brakes... I only got 2 options from NAPA, "China made stuff, or the real stuff" it was like 2X the price for the "real" stuff but im glad I did...

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my rotors replaced 3 times last year. I had taken the Jeep in to the dealer because of vibrations in the steering wheel and also for an intermittent squeak. They replaced all the rotors and all was good for a few weeks. Problems came back. Replaced rotors again. A few weeks later problems came back again. This time they replaced rotors and calipers. All has been good since. Apparently the rotors were warping due to a sticking brake caliper. You'd think the dealer would've checked the calipers first time in...oh well.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm the type of driver that isn't very ******* brakes. I've never had any rotor on any of my other vehicles warp However, my KJ's rotors have warped. I've not rode them hard or anything. They are crappy rotors.

Looking forward to getting my NAPA Ultra Premium Rotors and NAPA Ultra Premium Ceramic Pads on.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Rotors were bad twice at only 65k.
City driving messes up the rotors on KJ for some reason, most of you probably ride long distances with minimal break application. The factory brakes were the best, but once someone plays with them, they are nowhere near OEM.

X2 My factory brakes were great before I had them replaced, now they feel totally different.

Awww KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion holds nearly no water; I've only 38k mi. Stock rotors & pads.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Raybestos Professional Grade rotors and their PG ceramic pads on the KJ here. Shit's cash, but a bit noisy once in a while when going REEEEEAL slow

JeepHigh

Reaction score
I thought it was just me. I had replaced two sets of rotors before I switched to EBC Rotors and Green Stuff pads. So far so good with no warpage yet and they stop on a dime. Now I just need to replace the wheel hub assembly on the passenger side and she's good to go....

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
This is what mine looked like after 140000 KM's. Same issue as U and was not to sure of the maintenance HX, but I am guessing the old owner was ******* the brakes... I only got 2 options from NAPA, "China made stuff, or the real stuff" it was like 2X the price for the "real" stuff but im glad I did...

Anybody got an idea of cost on the good stuff. Pads and rotors. I could call tomorrow but I thought I would ask now. And I have to agree that I think the previous owner was ******* them. It was a housewives grocery getter that I rescued. No offense to women but, I have noticed my wife and most women I have driven with are very ******* brakes.