Why do KJ Rotors warp so easily

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We are 66 KM(41.010 miles.) shy of 205,000.0 KM(204934.7/127,340.52 miles)
on the clock and our Lib is still on it's original set of front brake rotors!
(According to our vehicles full service records.)

I will be replacing the rotors and brake pads sometime this summer.
The local Crappy Tire(Canadian tire for all the Non Canadian folks here.) has a set of grooved rotors that I will be buying.
I have been looking at replacement brake rotors at local shops, and, well, 99.999% of them are all made in China. including the replacements from the Chrysler dealer!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hires here has Monroe for pads and rotors... whole set for about @230
Those will be the cheapest stuff,not even OEM speced ceramic pads for that price.The stuff they use cost them about $50 total to buy,great quality there.

The best bang for your buck is Napa premium rotors and there Adaptive One pads.Or if you do not mind some noise Powerslot rotors and EBC Yellow Stuff pads.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because whoever makes the rotors made crap. I just recently had to replace all of them at the 80k mark.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotors were bad twice at only 65k.
City driving messes up the rotors on KJ for some reason, most of you probably ride long distances with minimal break application. The factory brakes were the best, but once someone plays with them, they are nowhere near OEM.

You know I've got to say that my kj rotors never warped and I'm almost 100% city driving. And if you indulged yourself in my panic thread where I had a bad caliper piston, if there was any case where a rotor should have warped, that'd be it. Piston wasn't entirely recompressing and was dragging the outer pad. I can't imagine how hot that rotor must have been getting... never warped. Those were OEM rotors. On the fronts I run Powerslots and Adaptive One pads.

I just replaced one of the rears with a NAPA Premium rotor and put ceramics on both rears.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny we are speaking of this. I re-read my posts and giggled. I replaced both front rotors last night with OEM parts. They're the only ones that were in stock in this backwater berg. $62 ea. I had the front driver's side warp on me when I braked hard for a dude crossing the road on a dirtbike while towing my boat down to the marina. Tried to turn it but it would have been below the min service thickness. I figured that the OEM rotors lasted 75+K miles, another set from the factory wouldn't be bad and the price was right.

I could have purchased some HPP el-crapo's for about $30/ea or waited two weeks for some better ones from NAPA at $120/ea. My wallet and experience with the stock bits helped steer my decision. When I get my $1000/month pay raise (no more child support) this fall, I'll consider spending more for better brakes.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are 66 KM(41.010 miles.) shy of 205,000.0 KM(204934.7/127,340.52 miles)
on the clock and our Lib is still on it's original set of front brake rotors!
(According to our vehicles full service records.)

I will be replacing the rotors and brake pads sometime this summer.
The local Crappy Tire(Canadian tire for all the Non Canadian folks here.) has a set of grooved rotors that I will be buying.
I have been looking at replacement brake rotors at local shops, and, well, 99.999% of them are all made in China. including the replacements from the Chrysler dealer!

Interesting. When my rear caliper seized and wore the pad down to metal, I ended up with a grooved rotor. rofl2.gif

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ballpark figure for Napa would be about $180-$200 per axle using Napa stuff.Using the Powerslots and EBC pads will set you back about $350 or so per axle.That is doing all the labor yourself also,just part prices.

I did a set of rear pads and rotors from NAPA for the KJ a few months ago, I got to use my dads buddies discount account there and got them for $110-120 :D
So far they seem to be performing pretty good.
I probably will need to replace the front rotors cause i can tell some slight pulsating with brakes applied but the pads looks good still so it may hold off a few months.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online