Which hitch receiver is recommended?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liberty15-22

Reaction score
Hey everybody, thanks for reading this. I bought a bike not too long ago to enjoy the Reno outdoors, which then led to buying a rather expensive hitch bike rack, which then led to my understanding that my new 2011 Liberty doesn't come with a hitch receiver. I now need to buy one but the Dodge/Chrysler dealership's prices could quite literally match the prices of some brand new tires. They said that they would have to cut a piece out of my bumper and blah blah blah. However, I've already spent well over $1600 for the bike and hitch, can someone help me out on what I should do while staying at a now affordable price. Thank you for any feedback.

Also if there is any way we can avoid cutting the bumper at the expense of ground clearance, that would be okay, thanks!

Last edited:

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mopar, from dealer no shipping fees and will try to match internet pricing.
I have an 08 I used a hack saw blade and a utility knife to cut the plastic rear fascia. On the 08 there is a line that you follow.

Ted15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mopar hitch has a much cleaner apearance than any other one out there in my opinion. The plastic that needs to be cut is a small piece on the bottom about 2"x10" or so. Here are a couple links, one has the part no. And the other has the directions. It's well worth the extra fifty bucks to get the one designed for the KK and if you go off road, you'll thank yourself for it. They set about two inches higher than the aftermarket ones.

http://www.jeepworld.com/accessories/instructions/82210988AB_hitchreceiver_IFU.pdf

Jeep Liberty Trailer Hitch Receiver, Hitch Ball and Wiring Harness.

Hope this helps.

If you intend on towing in the future, there are two choices for trailer plug harnesses, both are available from the factory and if you're using the seven pin plug I highly recommend you pick up the OEM harness. It has fuses and relays attached to the harness that you wouldn't otherwise have and the level of protecting it provides is well worth the extre coin.