Wheelin a KJ, be honest...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many wheeling trips, many times I've gotten air...nothing catastrophically failing out on the road or trails. (Crossing my fingers. Will pop a ball joint next trip now! :rofl:)

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really "Wheel" in my KJ. It is used to get to hunting, fishing, hiking spots. It has the same modifications (ie. skids, improved suspension, tow hooks, good tires) as I had on my old XJ, and it is just as capable, if not more, when it comes to the rough and gooey stuff.

And the fact that the doors will still close when a wheel is up in the air is a nice addition:gr_grin:

Jschulte

Reaction score
I don't really "Wheel" in my KJ. It is used to get to hunting, fishing, hiking spots. It has

And the fact that the doors will still close when a wheel is up in the air is a nice addition:gr_grin:

SOOOOOO true on the XJ doors!!!

One of mine for a while u had to kick the doors open, but eventually just wouldn't open!!! LMAO!!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!!

Many More responses than I expected!!
I'm glad to see the KJs are out on the trails, and I really appreciate all the responses!!!

Now I'm sure someone besides TJKJ has some carnage...

Keep'm coming guys!!!!!!

THANKS!!

Still IFS...................

You must be registered for see images attach

I have no idea when that happened.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I enjoy wheelin', but I am extra careful because I am usually alone, looking for photographs to make and don't have the ability to get myself out of trouble because I'm old and decrepit. But I do tend to take more chances with every skid plate I add - I'm waiting on one to be delivered soon. Can't wait to scratch it up. :D

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's great fun in the KJ. I'm hoping to have mine where I want it this summer so that I can go drive Black Bear Road this summer. Been on a few trips with some tricky stuff, got through most of it with no help. But tow hooks are always a good addition if you don't have a winch.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's great fun in the KJ. I'm hoping to have mine where I want it this summer so that I can go drive Black Bear Road this summer. Been on a few trips with some tricky stuff, got through most of it with no help. But tow hooks are always a good addition if you don't have a winch.

Black Bear is a great trail to go on but not for the faint of heart.:gr_grin:

Jschulte

Reaction score
Sry I was extremely busy the last few days getting the KJ ready for Disney, and went on a lil shakedown run Saturday night, had A LOT OF RUBBING!!! Gonna have to do some more "adjusting" with the 8# sledge to fix that...

I can't remember who posted it, but the chevy mounts and the 42" curved light bar worked 100% perfectly!!! I CAN SEE AGAIN!!! Most of my wheelin in at night, so I've been missing the light. Not any more!!

And thx again for all your responses, and keep' m coming!!! I'd really like to see and hear about your wheelin experiences!!!

I'll get a pic of the light bar posted soon.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as wheeling, it all depends on where you wheel, where you are from etc. Wheeling to some is all rocks, some all mud, some combination, some just service/forest roads and back roads . I know of roads down home that are still legal township roads but you need 40s, lots of lift and fully locked to get through .
As far as what is best, the KJ does 96.24 % of what any of my XJs did and more comfortable doing it.
As far as fun well on a sunny day I'd take any of my old Bobtail Broncos or any of the early CJs ( short trips if tops are off ). As far as providing people with stiff necks either my 79 F150 on 38s or my 77 Dodge van on 40s . Wish I still had any of them but they all found other homes back in the late 70s early 80s .
But the KJs do a great job when you sit them up right, good skids , tires, lockers etc, just like anything else .

anything can be fun

End of the day its all in what you like,

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sry I was extremely busy the last few days getting the KJ ready for Disney, and went on a lil shakedown run Saturday night, had A LOT OF RUBBING!!! Gonna have to do some more "adjusting" with the 8# sledge to fix that...

I can't remember who posted it, but the chevy mounts and the 42" curved light bar worked 100% perfectly!!! I CAN SEE AGAIN!!! Most of my wheelin in at night, so I've been missing the light. Not any more!!

And thx again for all your responses, and keep' m coming!!! I'd really like to see and hear about your wheelin experiences!!!

I'll get a pic of the light bar posted soon.

Awesome, glad the light bar worked out well for you. If you post some of the pics of it installed in the How-To thread.

olecowpoke

Reaction score
If yer gonna stay stock, with no lift kit, ya need a winch. I fab'd frame reinforcing brackets and recessed a Smittybilt 9500 winch back in the plastic bumper, thereby retaining turn signals, running lights and a built in, not scab'd on appearance. An aluminum full belly skid plate is next.....always a project.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

olecowpoke

Reaction score
Overland Jeep Trip with the in-laws.....my KJ had to pull em both out 3x and 2x respectively.....my little IS - CRD - KJ did some belly draggin' but didn't get stuck once.....

olecowpoke

Reaction score
I would like to hear from you all about wheelin, crawling, trail riding, expeditions, whatever you do in your KJ.

I'd like to hear your stories, your breakage, carnage, tell me about the weak links you have found!!

I've searched around and found very
little. Id like to see some KJ wheelin pics, video links, whatever you have!!!

I come from a 30 year jeep background, and I'd love to see what a KJ CAN DO!!

I've owned a LOT of jeeps, but probably the most fun rig of all was an XJ on 31's. Idk if the lil liberty can fill the shoes it replaced, I know IFS is a whole different animal, but

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT!!!!!

Thx in advance,
Jason.
Head'd to the woods for deer season with 3 hunters inside so my treestand, cooler and fresh water had to tag along behind.....straps to the roof took out the rack rattle off road. Added roof rack, Plano boxes and a winch since this picture. Used the new winch to lift and skin a 300lb Florida hog....proved quite handy.

olecowpoke

Reaction score
Clearance, approach angle, and small tire size (for those who didn't go big money). Flex is pretty good in the rear but the front hits the stops easy. Take lots of cash to get these off road ready comparatively to other Jeeps.

This is what I learned. Don't get me wrong though. Love mine always gets me to work no matter what and I can still light off road (and some medium).
If yer gonna stay stock (no lift) like me, you need a winch....like me. Not expensive and a fairly easy install with some angle steel and a few drilled holes....in the angle, not the Jeep.

olecowpoke

Reaction score
I would like to hear from you all about wheelin, crawling, trail riding, expeditions, whatever you do in your KJ.

I'd like to hear your stories, your breakage, carnage, tell me about the weak links you have found!!

I've searched around and found very
little. Id like to see some KJ wheelin pics, video links, whatever you have!!!

I come from a 30 year jeep background, and I'd love to see what a KJ CAN DO!!

I've owned a LOT of jeeps, but probably the most fun rig of all was an XJ on 31's. Idk if the lil liberty can fill the shoes it replaced, I know IFS is a whole different animal, but

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT!!!!!

Thx in advance,
Jason.
ALL the inclinometer buzzers were going off....so I tried to get out and look....couldn't get out the drivers side door....so my passenger got out to take a picture....then couldnt climb back in or close the door....passenger passed paracord thru the window post and I pulled the door closed, but not latched....tied it closed to my seat bracket, enough to drive down the hill. Passenger slid to the bottom on ***** and waited in fear, eyes bulging. May be passengers last Overland Expedition....TOOOOO much fun. :)

BRM88

Reaction score
Pricey upgrade, that sfa! Gee I'd love to do it though!

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk