Wheelin a KJ, be honest...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jschulte

Reaction score
I would like to hear from you all about wheelin, crawling, trail riding, expeditions, whatever you do in your KJ.

I'd like to hear your stories, your breakage, carnage, tell me about the weak links you have found!!

I've searched around and found very
little. Id like to see some KJ wheelin pics, video links, whatever you have!!!

I come from a 30 year jeep background, and I'd love to see what a KJ CAN DO!!

I've owned a LOT of jeeps, but probably the most fun rig of all was an XJ on 31's. Idk if the lil liberty can fill the shoes it replaced, I know IFS is a whole different animal, but

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT!!!!!

Thx in advance,
Jason.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think any KJ looks better wheeling than mine in this pic.. best one I have crawling over some rough terrain and showing off the fully-flexed machine

You must be registered for see images attach

:happy175: obviously kidding- these are some capable trucks and a lot of people look down on KJs when they really are great off-road
TJKJ is one you want to see and I'm sure you will, but many others have wheeled theirs and they've done pretty good for IFS
As for me, haven't gotten a chance to take it for some hard off-road work, but from what I've done it's nice

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an XJ on 31s as does my brother in law. i would take our liberty to any of the same places we take the cherokees. the liberty has a 2 inch lift, full skids, sliders, 255/70/16 (30x10) tires and a limited slip. goes wherever i point it.
it does spend more time teetering on 3 wheels in the really twisty sections of trail, but that is expected with IFS might be better if i took of the rear sway bar, but i havent yet, its also a DD. no good pictures for you. sorry

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clearance, approach angle, and small tire size (for those who didn't go big money). Flex is pretty good in the rear but the front hits the stops easy. Take lots of cash to get these off road ready comparatively to other Jeeps.

This is what I learned. Don't get me wrong though. Love mine always gets me to work no matter what and I can still light off road (and some medium).

forcefed44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong and I'm not a purist or brand snob. I just drive and build what I like at the shop for it's purposes. But; I don't wheel my Liberty Renegade since I just did the lift last week. Yes, I have an XJ on RE 4.5 and wheel that along with my LRs and soon Gelandewagon TD.. but I am sure the KJ can handle it's due. Some of my crew run a Charade, Samurai, and even a Russian lifted Lada.. now that is a sight.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what I like to do (easy to moderate trails) its been great. I'm running 31" tires, 2.5" lift, DTT, mud tires, good skids etc and have no issues on most easy to moderate trails. Took it to a Jeep event last year and went on a muddy rutted trail that you were supposed to have 33" tires minimum. Dug a lot of dirt with the skids but made it through. I"ll be trying more difficult trails this year with my addition of a winch. Lots of rock in my area and I've crawled some of the less crazyrocky trails just fine. If I switch my rear trash-lock LSD out for an air locker with the DTT in front it should be super capable.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weak point: stock open difs (fixable), lack of front flex, small tire size (31-32 max), ****** gearing (fixable)

Other than that, I follow my buddies with lifted Wranglers and Cherokees.

Proof:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pifrnudmvq3rbo8/20170226_132136.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gp9zcma8g8ewawy/20170226_133055.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jij0ruhcmkwxj8d/20170226_135804.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jij0ruhcmkwxj8d/20170226_135804.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqsv3m5t2nlr2z1/20170226_135948.mp4?dl=0

Stuck due to open rear dif and smaller tire size. Also lack of momentum:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qsh45ek8roisfd/20170226_160353.jpg?dl=0

Stuck due to open rear dif, not using 4WD when I should have:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oayr37pvhd4erk6/20170226_110119.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:

Jschulte

Reaction score
WOW!!

Many More responses than I expected!!
I'm glad to see the KJs are out on the trails, and I really appreciate all the responses!!!

Now I'm sure someone besides TJKJ has some carnage...

Keep'm coming guys!!!!!!

THANKS!!

Jschulte

Reaction score
Here's a link to me at the big meat run in '11. 2000 TJ, 8.8 swap, 4.88's, long armed and locked on 35" km2's. I've missed this event the last two years, because of mechanical issues, and last years messy divorce... lol!! I always build a rig for that event, since '09, and the Liberty was the convenient choice this year. grandpa said
"if it has t*ts or tires it'll give u trouble".
Boy was he right....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LE5RkoAqf-4

I don't have a lot of videos on me, cause I'm always the one with the camera! Lol. I'm gonna have my GoPro with me this year tho. So I'll be able to share some KJ Action...

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm always taking pictures as well so the few I have are ones taken by someone else and not good ones.
As far as carnage, none on mine ( well always made it home ) but have swapped out a few popped front D30a diffs on others who thought when it started to bounce it was a good idea just to lay on the throttle :happy175:

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
my 05 sport with tow and off-road package. 3 inches of lift on 265/70/16 bf Goodwrench Rugged Terrains

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jschulte

Reaction score
I'm always taking pictures as well so the few I have are ones taken by someone else and not good ones.
As far as carnage, none on mine ( well always made it home ) but have swapped out a few popped front D30a diffs on others who thought when it started to bounce it was a good idea just to lay on the throttle :happy175:

WHEN IN DOUBT, THROTTLE OUT!!! Right? Lol!!!!!

I learned a long time ago, bouncing and hopping tires break stuff....

Any time u get a SLIP-GRIP situation, you best let off and try again!!

What exactly breaks on the front diff? I've broken a few d30 cross pins, and several R&Ps, but the aluminum housing worries me...

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What exactly breaks on the front diff? I've broken a few d30 cross pins, and several R&Ps, but the aluminum housing worries me...

basically the front diff cracks/ shatters hah

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

^^that's the weak point. Don't get on the throttle with the front end off the ground. .......BOOM..... Seen it happen.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Throw a TruTrac in it and you'd be pretty good shape
If it has traction more likely not to break
Of course you can break any diff
I know I have a few back in the 70s but that was more from ...watch this ..than using common sense, but was in my 20s who has any at that age .:icon_razz::icon_razz::happy175:

Latest posts

Members online