wheel bearings or loud tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a couple a months ago i got new tires (245/70r16 General Grabber AT2's). the day i got the tires i noticed a decent amount of noise from about 25-35mph and then it pretty much disappears. its kind of a wooooo wooooo wooooo wooooo woooo noise, its sounds sorta like a wheel bearing does when its dying but it started to make the noise the day i got the tires which makes me think maybe its the tires. i jacked up the front grabbed the tire by 12 and 6 o'clock positions and tried to get the thing to wiggle but all there i got was a little give in the tire (like pushing the sidewall in slightly) nothing that seemed to come from the wheel hub. are there any other ways to check the wheels bearings? anyone else have the same noise from 25-35mph? If it is something like wheel bearings what kind of challenge is it to replace them my self? :confused:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably tires
those are a cheeper AT and will not be quiet

oh and as far as pressure it is a different from Jeep to Jeep depending on
weight and tire
I dont know those tires as far as load range
what I know is that the KJ weighs about 4500# or roughly 1125# per tire
so in a perfect world if a tire had a max load of say 2250# at 60 psi
then you would want to run 33 psi ,load on tire + 10%
wow that is funny that number looks just like the one on the door sticker

I had some noise from the MTR's until I got the pressure right and it was like 28 psi
then they rode good and lasted for a long time ,40K and still had tread

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
To answer your question about a possible bad wheel bearing, one way to check for a bad wheel bearing is to go to a parking lot, roll down your windows and make a slow turn left in a circle at full lock and listen. This puts more stress on the wheel bearing. If the left wheel bearing were going bad for instance, it will make a more pronounced growling that will lessen when you streighten the wheels out. Do the same turning right and listen.

But probably the tires as othes have said.

Dave

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generals are far from having a agressive tread.

I guess "aggressive" is subjective depending on who's talking about it.:D

I'd make sure your Jeep has a good alignment. That can get bad and cause uneven tire wear, and then, lots of noise.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ProComp LT245/75R16 AT tires on my Libby. I noticed recently after rotating them that they seemed louder than usual so I switched them back. After reading these posts I've begun to realize it's likely typical from an AT tire and that maybe I should tweak the tire pressure. My tires are somewhere around 33 lbs.

One solution I found for the excessive tire noise is to simply turn up the stereo :cool:

subkron

Reaction score
Tires for sure.

I put the same tires on my truck some time ago and immediatley I had the same noise increase between 25-39MPH. I've got 45k on them now and just replaced the wheel bearings about 3 weeks ago.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking a little more aggresive than your average A/T, but most M/T's will give you those noises, especially when turning hard at slower speeds. I also think it is the way the side of the tread blocks connect with the pavement. If the Generally has a really square shoulder???

There certainly are different levels aggresiveness among M/T's, too. Pit Bull or Swamper = yes. Japanee radials = probably not so much