What is the widest tire for stock suspension.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KK said 215 but a sharpie was used to change it to 225.
Not me came that way!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I will not go easy
This is the type of person who's wife rear ended mine
'02 Suburban 150k miles brand new tires skid marks
showed that the tires were hopping
why? Bad shocks!
My wife's VW with good shocks and tires held its ground
other wise she would have gotten T-boned as well

Replace the worn suspension

Well I'll tell you right now that I avoided an accident the other day, causing a straight skid, no hops, on my Jeep with 90k miles on the suspension.

It's all in the type of vehicle.

Stop acting butthurt because you DON'T know it all.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to keep this thread on track. I appreciate everyones positive input, Thank You!

In regards to stock tires. I checked the vin tag on the side of the drivers door and it states 215/75/16. When I first looked at the tire size I was reading the spare tire which is also a 215/70/16. Since the tires on the Jeep look so small I thought they were also 215's but they are actually 235's. So, at this point I will be replacing the tires with 235's.
Is my Jeep the only one with the door tag reading 215's?

Dude1116-Thanks for the info on the decal!

Pretty sure mine says 235. Probably depends what came with that vehicle at the factory. The factory put out 2 sizes on the Libs.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine is 225/75r16 with 235/70r16 as a second stock option. I have an '06 though. Possible that the stock size for '02-'03 changed for the '04-'07 KJ's.

Regarding all the suspension talk. I wouldn't necessarily trust the dealer as to the condition of the suspension. I bought mine certified used from a Jeep dealer and the suspension was sagging....it's nothing against your jeep, just a fact that almost all of the stock suspensions start to sag around 40,000. I was at 84,000 and sitting about 1.5-2" lower than I should have been stock. If you want to know for sure, measure it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
235-70-16s are an optional size
and suspension.....well I guess we'll drop the subject except I'm curious when was the build date and measure from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare
Humor me

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock 2004 Renegade...I just installed Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S's yesterday...255/65R-16's..5 new tires with 5 new TPMS's...Nice tires...much less noise than the old Falkens that were on it. Installer said this was the biggest tire I could go with stock suspension...no rub at full lock. So far so good. :)

Oh...and yes, my suspension is fine.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
For all you folks who think your stock factory installed suspension is fine?
That's because you don't notice that its sagged and worn out.
It's only until its replaced with new components (wether you use stock or aftermarket parts) that you will notice and feel the difference in the handling and the vehicles ride.
Remember, some parts on a vehicle don't last the life of the vehicle.

Enjoy your Liberty

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J-Thompson
I wouldn't be so quick to say that the suspension is 99.99% in poor condition.
First off, who are you to say what condition my suspension is w/o ever seeing the vehicle and don't say 99.99% of the 2003 Libertys suspension are shot.
In fact my suspension is in real good shape given the fact that it was just examined by the dealer! I care a great deal about my family. For one of the many reasons this is way I ask about tire size instead of guessing. I don't know where you get off making comments like this, just because I asked about tire size?????
Why don't you crawl back under the rock of yours just south of DOUCHEVILLE and keep your mouth shut. You should be ashamed of just using such a town name as that.
Obviously you have NO CLASS!!!

Who am I to say your suspension is shot?
Well I know you have stock coils
I know you purchased this KJ used
I am betting it has well north of 50k miles
I know that EVERY person who replaces their stock suspension
notices a huge difference in ride quality
Oh and I also service the equipment that test coil springs
for industrial applications
What I know from doing this is that 2 coils wound back to back
from the same "wire" on the same day treated at the same time
will have different failure rates
I also know that softer coils like the factory installed coils
on a KJ fail much faster than the slightly stiffer coils that
are supplied buy after market ,1+1=2
You say that the suspension was "examined by the dealer"
Yup they get it right ,my '03 F250 was ridding bad
go to dealer for a recall on the truck have them check it out
never checked my self, not happy about that I check my self
and notice that 1 of the front shocks was leaking oil

Now as far as me having no class this is also not true
I volunteer every Saturday at an adults only welding 101
class so I do have some class

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'll tell you right now that I avoided an accident the other day, causing a straight skid, no hops, on my Jeep with 90k miles on the suspension.

It's all in the type of vehicle.

Stop acting butthurt because you DON'T know it all.
You don't have to leave hopping skid marks in lockup braking to now you have bad shocks or a worn suspension.

I don't know everything about suspensions but I know alot since it is my job to know and have alot of training on the subject.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to leave hopping skid marks in lockup braking to now you have bad shocks or a worn suspension.

I don't know everything about suspensions but I know alot since it is my job to know and have alot of training on the subject.

Not saying they're not worn. They are, but I can't afford to replace it. But I will tell you that my stopping power has NOT been affected. At least not yet.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with suspensions and brakes is they get worse over time, so we get used to how it feels and never know until its too late.
I've finished brake jobs before , broke them in the way you should, and when the customer came back they about went through the windshield due to not being used to having good brakes .
Same way with tires/suspension, put on new and you'll be like " I never knew it could ride so good"